NEED SOME BASIC L-ROD INFO.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
NEED SOME BASIC L-ROD INFO.
I am trying to locate a Silver/Gold Cache in a search area of about 70 acres.
I have made two L-Rods out of brass cloth-hangers, that I have played with in the yard, using a roll of silver 50 cent pieces in a zip lock bag. I am trying to grip the rods fairly hard, so I can actually feel the pull in my hands. Doing this, because I want to know for a fact that the rods are pulling and I am not subconsciously manipulating them. I have also taped a silver 50 cent piece on each L-Rod. I do get some pull toward the target at about 50 feet (Back Yard Limits Area), but once I cross over the target, the rods do not fully cross till I am several feet past the target.
Questions.
Would it not make sense to use a larger diameter brass rods, so I can feel the rods better in my hands?
Do you know of anything I can do to improve my dowsing ability and target location?
Thanks in advance.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442535053.755890.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1442535093.194725.jpg

This is how I made mine, 316 Stainless Tig welding Wire 1/8" Dia , 1/4" Stainless tubing ,3/8" tubing and a 1/2" for a larger grip.
Just my idea.

OP
OP
GrayCloud

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Hey aarthrj3811. Please explain exactly what you mean here and I will do it tomorrow. I take it, that you want me to step on top of an individual coin? Do you remember map dowsing a field for me several years back? Well this is the same place. I have been out of state working for the last several years, thus this project has just been sitting here.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Re: Want to try Dowsing?
For the new dowser I think it is important to be accurate with the rods. What the rods are made of and what kind of handles and how long they are is important. The most important thing to me is body position. You need to find a repeatable body position so that when you are on the target and the rods are crossed you can mark it.

When I noticed that I was digging some big holes to get a little gold I decided to work on the problem. The first thing I did was place a silver dollar on the floor. I put the heel of my boot on it and held my rods out and they only closed part way. I moved my arms back and forth and the rods opened and closed. I moved my hands in and out and they opened and closed.

So...I found a position for my arms with my hands 1 inch wider than the rod length. The position I chose was my arms at shoulder height and out as far as I could push them. I could repeat this position every time. I decided that I would use the front 1/2 inch of my left heel as my marking spot as I could reach it without hurting my back to much. I then started using a dime as my target.

The next step was to trim my rods so they were crossed and locked when my heel was on my spot and my arms and hands were in position. When on the target turn in different directions and adjust your feet as needed. Hope this helps some of you newbies.....Art​

OP
OP
GrayCloud

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Will give it a try, Thanks Art.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Will give it a try, Thanks Art.
Over the years my body has changed. I now hold my rods with my elbows tight against my ribs. I had to cut almost 2 inches from the rods

Dowsing%20001[1].jpg Dowsing%20003[1].jpg

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Another thing you should be aware of. Coins and Gold veins signals can sometimes give off misleading readings. Most of the time you will only read the coin with the largest signal and gold veins you will read the hottest signal from the vein....Art

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
art, what do you think of my dowsing rods in my post ? They swivel very easily no matter how tight I hold them. Is that a good thing?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used rifle brass, or .410 shells too. I think it's easier just in your hands they don't flop around as much. But I'm not an experienced dowser. I've only played around a few times, and watched other people.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
art, what do you think of my dowsing rods in my post ? They swivel very easily no matter how tight I hold them. Is that a good thing?
Any rod that you like to use is OK. I use 3/32 Brass and no handles. That is what I am comfortable with. I have tried many different rods including wood and plastic. They all worked but I always went back to the brass

Last edited:

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I use 1/4'' brazing rods, bent in an ''L'' shape. Handle length is 5'', and the rod length varies according to what metal I am seeking. As a rule I use a 15'' length o the rod. I use a 3/4'' diameter PVC pipe for the handle. I use two nickels, one with one side sanded down to a smooth finish, and insert into the bottom of the pipe. Then I drill a hole in the other one so that my rod can swivel and insert it into the top of the PVC pipe. This insulates you from the rod, giving it a free swinging locating ability. I always make a pair and use both together for pinpointing the target. It may not work for everyone though. Good luck. rockhound

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to check laws about US money, it would be legal to alter a foreign coin.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canadian nickels, you get them here in the US sometimes as change.....good to find a use for them.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I forgot to mention that I sharpen the end of the rod(s) that contact the nickel in the bottom of the pipe. This allows almost zero friction and allows the rod(s) to be more sensitive. Good Luck. rockhound

OP
OP
GrayCloud

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
When looking for a specific metal (Gold or Silver), should you load your L Rods or will they work just as good as they are?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
When looking for a specific metal (Gold or Silver), should you load your L Rods or will they work just as good as they are?
For myself I always use loaded rods when possible. As for the point are they as good without the load?. I think that is one of the things that you have to get the answer to for yourselves. If it was not important to me I would not do it that way.....Art

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
When you are looking for old mining camps use ashes from camp sites in the area. When looking for old closed tunnels or caves use black as bait

Film Canister.GIF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions