Never Give Up!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
About 10 years ago, I found out I had Charcot-Marie-Tooth, a muscle wasting disease that started off with numb feet and no I'm not diabetic. Presently my right ankle have no nerves in it. I went to a clinic that offered a Walk-aide device and I couldn't feel the electric pulses which are like tiny shocks. The tech placed it in my hands and still nothing. The disease affects the nerves below the knees and below the elbow. Good news is, its not a killer unless you fall down a flight of stairs which I've done a couple of times. But that was before I was fitted with a AFO: ankle/foot orthotic. I've been metal detecting since my 20's when I started off with a Jetco Treasurehawk BFO. I've had a grand time but now I largely hunt the water when I can. I still like to hunt parks, tree lawns and fields. I can get down to dig the target but it's a major chore trying to get back up so I usually only last about 45 minutes and I'm pooped.
I am a fan of Harbor Freight Tool Supply and I'm sure a good many of you shop there as well. I was looking through one of their sales papers when I spotted a little garden cart. It features a large seat like the old tractors used to have on top of four air filled tires and the frame is quite sturdy and rated to 300 pounds. I wondered if that cart could help me get back into hunting parks and field again. They cost $60.00 and it took me about an hour to assemble it. I tried it out on my driveway and yard and thought it could work. Yesterday Graffix girl and I went out to a couple of parks and I knew I wouldn't last long so I took my little cart with me and tied a rope to it to pull it. Got to the first park and it worked real good on the hard soil. The seat will rotate 360 degrees so you pull yourself along with your feet, stop and detect all around yourself. Get a reading then you get up and move the cart and soon you are digging. I bogged down a couple of times but did a 180 and used my feet to push my way out then resumed detecting. We quit after 3 hours and I wasn't pooped and my legs weren't sore.
I'm sure there are some of you Senior Citizens TH'ers who may have a similar problem and this might be just the ticket to get you back out detecting again. It's not any good in soft sand, ground has to be solid like a park, school ground, beach or yard. There is a little tray underneath for a gator digger and a couple bottles of water. I'll be trying this thing out at Daytona Beach and New Symrna Beach, if you see me, come on over and check it out.
When things get tough, never give up, just adapt to the situation. :headbang:

Attachments

• CAM00295.jpg
    CAM00295.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 118
  • CAM00294.jpg
    CAM00294.jpg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 109
  • CAM00293.jpg
    CAM00293.jpg
    934.1 KB · Views: 119

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awsome !!!!!!:icon_thumright:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great tool. Glad you found it.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I applaud you for not giving up and still continuing with your passion.I would love to have one of those to scoot around my garden in.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome!!! :headbang:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are an inspiration! I have a back problem.... difficult to hold myself upright. When working a park, I carry a lightweight stool that I carry using a strap. When I need a rest, I set it up and set 'er down. Keep moving partner.... keep hunting!! Terry

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FLauthor,
Your are one of those people the phrase "keep trying" is all about because you do. You are a great inspiration/incentive to others, Thank You.

Me being me I was just wondering, do you think a set of high flotation tires would help keep it from bogging down in the sand?? Just a thought. Likely need new axles, but maybe not.............63bkpkr

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The tires that are on it are inflatible and I don't plan to hunt the sugar sand at the beach, too much work. Should work just fine on the hard packed beach sand. At least I'll be easy to spot by other TH'ers when I'm out on the east coast. Usually I'm in chest deep water on the west coast.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this is a great story. May your best finds come while you are comfortably seated good sir! happy hunting

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I went to New Symrna Beach yesterday afternoon to try my Service Cart out on the hard beach sand.
I started out detecting while sitting on the cart. It moved OK but it was slow and the angle of swinging the detector started making my upper shoulder hurt. So I stood up and resume hunting like usual but pulling the cart by the attached rope. Tying a 1/4" rope to the cart to form a U. As you walk, if you hold the rope just right, the cart will track to your left or right. You don't want it too close or the detector will sound off. I placed the scoop on top of the seat and could go about 100 yards or so until my legs told me "Time to sit down". Sit down for a couple of minutes then hunt for another 100 yards then take a break, sip some water and here come the curious onlookers. I talked with about 6 couples about detecting and passed out Kellyco cards that I've stamped with my name as a referral on the back of the card along with the Treasurenet website. Most of the people were tourists from New England and Canada so I had a pleasant day, found a pull tab and a stainless steel bolt. I hunted two hours and I wasn't pooped so the Service Cart worked just like I hoped. The surf caught it a couple of times so when I got home, I hosed it down real good to cut down on the corrosion. I think that I could have hunted all day without a problem. That tray can hold a couple bottles of water and snacks, a hand towel and a big gator digger easily. I encourage those who have a walking disability or if you know someone who does to refer them to HARBOR FREIGHT for this garden cart for $60.00. It's money well spent!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions