new boy - need help

P

peterseaford

G'day - Happy New Year - my name is peter and am new at this hobby.

spent hours with my gp3000 - plenty of bullets but no gold yet but i am just a beginner.

mate of mine said that i should try at the beach and i have a Coinmaster 5000/d geb metal detector. - is this OK to start off with at the beach and the Whites coil seems waterproof - will it hurt to get the coil wet.

would appreciate any help whilst i continue to search through the enormous amount of knowledge available to me on your site.

thanks for your time

regards peter

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
i have a similar detector and a beach would be a great place to start. ive only had mine at the beach a few times but did find lots of newer coins.

i would not recommend testing the water tightness of the coil, just to be safe. stick to dry sand for now.

good luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peter, when the machine was new the coil was waterproof. Now however I wouldn't trust the seal where the wire enters the coil. You could apply silicone there to make sure I guess. You may find the Coinmaster acts up in the wet sand. Turning down sensitivity may help, but I doubt it. Better to stick to the dry sand.

If you are going to hunt the beach a lot, the use of a new Excal 1000 will do wonders for filling your pouch. The Sov GT is also fantastic as it is just a land version of the Excal.

You can learn tons more about hunting beaches by visiting: thegoldenolde.com/

Good Luck,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions