New Reviews of the Omega 8500?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard the Omega 8500 has been released....I've seen a couple of Youtube videos of this detector but the reviews seem to be few and far between...Is there any improvement such as the EMI over the 8000? Just wondering...Thanks..

Yes they are selling on ebay for $599. Emi resistance is better, adjustable volume for individual tones (sweet) separate gain & thresh controls. Probably something else I am forgetting

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering the same thing, newfie, the machines been on the market for 6 weeks now and there's a conspicuous silence on it's performance.
People want a few reviews, and of course the first thing they want to know is...how deep does it go? Does it beat the T2 in performance?
I like the idea of a graphical indication of the soil mineralization, a feature a few other detectors have incorporated, such as the foreign-made markta, what this suggests to me is various manufacturers are buying a detector chip from a central supplier such as tex instruments.
One fellow is selling his 8500 on eBay , never a positive sign for a detector that's newly released.

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering the same thing, newfie, the machines been on the market for 6 weeks now and there's a conspicuous silence on it's performance.
People want a few reviews, and of course the first thing they want to know is...how deep does it go? Does it beat the T2 in performance?
I like the idea of a graphical indication of the soil mineralization, a feature a few other detectors have incorporated, such as the foreign-made markta, what this suggests to me is various manufacturers are buying a detector chip from a central supplier such as tex instruments.
One fellow is selling his 8500 on eBay , never a positive sign for a detector that's newly released.
F5 has the graphic fe info #s as well. Some people will buy a newly released model, test it then re-sell on ebay after they put it through the paces.

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one. It is impressively responsive to mid-conductors like buttons and the like, as well as silver. As far as depth, with the 10" concentric coil, it nearly equals my F75 in the 75's default mode with the 11" standard DD.

it is a bit sensitive to EMI at my VERY EMI noisy location.

Runs nice and smooth, ignoring hot rocks both positive and negative. It has the usual reluctance to give a rock steady VDI in nickles.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what had happened that people hyped it up so much that expectations was of the thinking that this was going to be deep as a F-75 DST or something and was going to do great things for many people also the folks that had the old version I think were disappointed more than anybody .............people have got to understand that a manufacturer is not going to take a mid stream machine and make it rival against its flagship model and like any machine you find one that's hotter than another for what ever reason..........these are my findings from different readings from around the net.

Last edited:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what had happened that people hyped it up so much that expectations was of the thinking that this was going to be deep as a F-75 DST or something and was going to do great things for many people also the folks that had the old version I think were disappointed more than anybody .............people have got to understand that a manufacturer is not going to take a mid stream machine and make it rival against its flagship model and like any machine you find one that's hotter than another for what ever reason..........these are my findings from different readings from around the net.

Exactly my thinking! They are not going to make the new models as good as the more expensive previous models, not a good strategy.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm kind of wanting to give the Omega 8500 a swing to see how well it works. There's not a whole lot of people posting their test results. I'm holding off until I hear from more users or maybe try and pick up a good used one at a fair price. I believe that I can find plenty of silver coins with it.:laughing7:

tabman

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they are selling on ebay for $599. Emi resistance is better, adjustable volume for individual tones (sweet) separate gain & thresh controls. Probably something else I am forgetting

Back light, and I'm glad it's added to my favorite detector.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back light, and I'm glad it's added to my favorite detector.

Hey Rick! I've seen many of your videos on Youtube! Very informative and entertaining as well....You do seem to do very well with that Omega and you know it well....Do you think you will upgrade to the 8500?

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Rick! I've seen many of your videos on Youtube! Very informative and entertaining as well....You do seem to do very well with that Omega and you know it well....Do you think you will upgrade to the 8500?

I second that! He did a bang up job. I really enjoyed watching his videos.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread