new show on the dutchman

I think one of the reasons why Waltz never filed a claim on the mine was due to the location of the mine. The mine would have to be in the deepest part of the mountains, or far away from his residence. And that would require more traveling time. With the mine that far away he knew he couldn't protect the mine at all times.

Wise prospectors will not file a claim where a rich discovery is.

That's like telling the whole world where your treasure is! And they will surely flock there if you file it.
Sure, its taking a chance that someone will file it, and keep you out, but if it is very remote, that is not likely, as in this case.[/QUOTE]
If you believe the story of him taking the mine by violence, perhaps he believed that someone else had legal claim. I would certainly not have filed. Better to keep it hidden and to tap it when needed.

Back in those days they had magic trail erasers. Nobody could ever follow you. Every time your horse or mule made a hoof print, 5 minutes later it was gone. They also had magic tailings erasers. Every time you dug a hole, all the dirt and rocks from your diggings would automatically disappear just as fast as you could dig. That's why there are no trails or tailing piles leading to the LDM. Too bad we can't return to those magical days. The greenies would love us.:hello2:

Back in those days they had magic trail erasers. Nobody could ever follow you. Every time your horse or mule made a hoof print, 5 minutes later it was gone. They also had magic tailings erasers. Every time you dug a hole, all the dirt and rocks from your diggings would automatically disappear just as fast as you could dig. That's why there are no trails or tailing piles leading to the LDM. Too bad we can't return to those magical days. The greenies would love us.:hello2:

Would that mean " the Peralta family mine " with all of it's laborers removed all of the tailings from the site, while the miners worked inside. Would that mean the Peralta mine is the LDM ?

Would that mean " the Peralta family mine " with all of it's laborers removed all of the tailings from the site, while the miners worked inside. Would that mean the Peralta mine is the LDM ?
Beats me... all I know is everything disappeared with no trace whatsoever of any activity. I'm assuming that just as fast as the LDM was dug, the dirt and tailings from it were also buried just as fast. No dirt, no trails, no traces. Somebody knew what they were doing.

Wise prospectors will not file a claim where a rich discovery is.

That's like telling the whole world where your treasure is! And they will surely flock there if you file it.
Sure, its taking a chance that someone will file it, and keep you out, but if it is very remote, that is not likely, as in this case.
If you believe the story of him taking the mine by violence, perhaps he believed that someone else had legal claim. I would certainly not have filed. Better to keep it hidden and to tap it when needed.[/QUOTE]

Correct me if im wrong,but when you file a claim. You have to record how you found the gold. If thats correct. Then it would be very hard to explain how a working mine became his. Maybe there was a waiting period to official claim a exiting mine.
Could you imagine the crazy that would come fourth to make a claim.
Then again he might have just been on another claim.

Beats me... all I know is everything disappeared with no trace whatsoever of any activity. I'm assuming that just as fast as the LDM was dug, the dirt and tailings from it were also buried just as fast. No dirt, no trails, no traces. Somebody knew what they were doing.

AZBird,

The tailings from the pit mine were just dumped on the ground and spread out. The brush grew up and hid them from sight.......unless you were on top of them.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

AZBird,

The tailings from the pit mine were just dumped on the ground and spread out. The brush grew up and hid them from sight.......unless you were on top of them.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Waltz said he removed all traces. What would be your opinion to what he meant.

How did he camouflage the tailings to match the surrounding ground before the brush had a chance to cover it up? How did he erase his tracks and trails to and from the mine? :icon_scratch:

In that case I apologize. I have been attacks several times in the last few weeks. Im geeting a littlie gun shy.

Well, I went back and re-read what I wrote. And I can see why you had thought that. I would have also thought the same thing. It did sound like that. I should have put Waltz name in there. I'm a poor writer most of the time. My mind thinks faster than I can type. All thumbs, lol. Were on the same side.

It was $200 ,ooo,ooo "on the line". Hopefully they will explain it.

This is where I'm confused. Supposedly Waltz stated before he passed on there was enough gold in the mine to make 20 men millionaires in 1891. The price of gold in 1891 was $20.67 a ounce. 20,000,000.00 divided by $20.67 equals 967,585.87 ounces. At today's gold price of $ 1,200.20 times 967,585.87 ounces equals $ 1,161,296,565.06 Billion. I'm question is why does the show say 200 Million ?

This is where I'm confused. Supposedly Waltz stated before he passed on there was enough gold in the mine to make 20 men millionaires in 1891. The price of gold in 1891 was $20.67 a ounce. 20,000,000.00 divided by $20.67 equals 967,585.87 ounces. At today's gold price of $ 1,200.20 times 967,585.87 ounces equals $ 1,161,296,565.06 Billion. I'm question is why does the show say 200 Million ?

I tried to explore that idea a while back here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/lost-dutchman-s-mine/412446-million-ounces-say-what.html

They must have had a large crew. Or, it might have been what I have been thinking for a while, I can't prove though. The
crew didn't have to dig very deep & long toward Weavers Needle. Which means not much tailings to hide. More than likely it's a epithermal quartz vein. Those veins are can be quite shallow at times. And highly concentrated due to the hot water running through the quartz over & over again until the quartz rock is filled up, then you end up with (hydrothermal gold). This is all related to the close sub-aerial volcanic activity (Weavers Needle). And this would be why the gold is so concentrated in one area. Very rare.

Hello fellow Treasure Hunters.
My belief is he would travel over rock outcrops to get to his mine. A Hidden Miner's Trail uses Bed Rock to hide trail footprints, ingress and egress. If he hid the Mine he said it was surrounded by other prospects and workings.
A lot of those old mining area's in The Superstition's. My Experience in those mountains is limited but I found about four prospects in the immediate area with clothing and artifacts from what looked to be the 40's or 50's I searched in an area which looked strangely like the area they used on the show.

Aric,

It was very common practice for both Spanish and later Mexican Miners to carry their tailings several miles from their mine sites. That made it much easier to conceal the actual mines since they couldn't work them year round. On the "Green" LDM Forum, I recall someone posted about finding a very deep crevice somewhere near Peters Mesa/Black Mountain and the crevice contained a whole lot of old tailings.

Mike

Waltzs said he hid the mine. The way the mexican did. In the reading I've done. The mexican would drag a large bolder over the entrance. I guess he could ve. Built a particle house on top of the entrance.

Also if waltz was working near played out mine. No one would notice. If he added to the tailing piles. Also he could have crushed the rock and sent it down a stream.

One thing for sure. I would want him to hide my car keys.

Hard rock mine tailings were basically mud. The ore was hauled to a mill and crushed. Any type of travel could be followed by the natives especially constant high traffic travel.

Seems every LDM thread goes in multiple directions with I thinks, I believe, I feel this or that, so and so said, ect. Never any verifiable facts.

Back to the show!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back