New Software Help, Bug, Glitch or Report Thread.

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Two problems I am running into

1) When I hit reply to thread I get nothing. I have to find the quick reply if I was at the top.
2) When I use the remember me button, my computer does not remember me. Cookie may not be installing if that is what is used.

I utilize IE 7 on XP.. This is currently only happening on this machine. I have not seen if it will do this with Chrome at home on xp.

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By far the best feature on the T-net as far as navigation was concerned was the ability to click "replies" and bring up all the posts you replied to. That is what gave flow to the threads and will be lost unless you have something that's close to the equivalent. If I owned this site I would figure out the best way, and create a sticky post or something to that effect to really show people how they can use this like the old Treasure net. The other forum I joined maybe a year ago that's similar... I kid you not, in the first week I posted it was hard to navigate because I couldn't keep track of where I posted. To date that really hasn't changed, and I probably miss posts that I would have liked to have seen, but I simply didn't see the thread again. That's the problem I think you'll have with both old users and new ones coming to the site, and essentially it will create a cap for the user base because once there's so many new posts happening it will be a challenge to say the least to follow the threads you replied on. Now I know there has been a few replies about this so far, but I didn't see anything that really works, and am not sure if I am clicking, or changing a setting to the correct format. And if I don't know, there's probably several thousand more people that will log on and wonder the same thing.... which is why I suggest figuring out the best way, and making it clear.

We already have that feature back :)

It's at the top of the site next to Quick Links and it's call My Posts.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look into this and see if we can find the cause of it. Sorry it did not work for you.

John I'm good now. I found which log in link worked. It was to the right and down midway on the page. The links that would not let me in were the Log in at top right, the login, right after your welcome page telling about all the changes. That link leads to a log in in the center of the page. That one does not work either. I am able to log in now through the first one i told you about.

wicked

Mar 22, 2012
San Jose, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I keep track of my replies or threads I posted in is by using "Subscribed Threads" You can find it by clicking on Quick Links on top of the page:

A1zAE.jpg

If you click on Settings on top right corner then "General Settings" on the left panel, you can select how you would like to be notified on new posts in threads you're subscribed to.

pOsjQ.jpg

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two problems I am running into

1) When I hit reply to thread I get nothing. I have to find the quick reply if I was at the top.
2) When I use the remember me button, my computer does not remember me. Cookie may not be installing if that is what is used.

I utilize IE 7 on XP.. This is currently only happening on this machine. I have not seen if it will do this with Chrome at home on xp.

Both sound like cookie problems. Strange though as "Reply to Thread" should force you to go to the bottom of the page next to the Quick Reply.

Perhaps clearing your cookies might fix it on IE?

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
John, It could very well be my computer here at work. It has many issues with updates out their that it needs to view things on internet, but alas my place of work does not have.. Example is updating flash.

But I do have another issue that has appeard. I have my general settings to Hybrid along with a max of 40 posts per page. Well when I have it set that way, I do not get an option to go to next page to view posts higher than #39. The page navigation was there when I had the max set to forum default. Is much of this in Java? Because As i have the standard choice for replies, many of the buttons on the quick reply do not show up on my end. Only one is the unlink icon. Once again this could me my end with an un updated java. What version of Java and flash are needed to view this site?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We already have that feature back :)

It's at the top of the site next to Quick Links and it's call My Posts.

Thanks for that, but it's very different because the old way only brought up the replies when there was a new post, and with this new way it's not really feasible to look through every post you recently made to keep track. That being said, I'm sure there's lots of limitations in the format that I have no way to know about, or understand because I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to this stuff, but again I think site navigation should be your number one concern because that's what everyone is going to find so different. If it can't be helped, well that's life, and tomorrows another day.

But the my posts link definitely does help!

OP
OP
4Nines

4Nines

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2010
TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that, but it's very different because the old way only brought up the replies when there was a new post, and with this new way it's not really feasible to look through every post you recently made to keep track. That being said, I'm sure there's lots of limitations in the format that I have no way to know about, or understand because I'm dumb as a rock when it comes to this stuff, but again I think site navigation should be your number one concern because that's what everyone is going to find so different. If it can't be helped, well that's life, and tomorrows another day.

But the my posts link definitely does help!

Under Quick Links > Subscribed Threads - The ones in bright bold red text have replies in them and the dim or non-bright ones you've already read :)

Screen Shot 2012-03-22 at 2.51.53 PM.png

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, It could very well be my computer here at work. It has many issues with updates out their that it needs to view things on internet, but alas my place of work does not have.. Example is updating flash.

But I do have another issue that has appeard. I have my general settings to Hybrid along with a max of 40 posts per page. Well when I have it set that way, I do not get an option to go to next page to view posts higher than #39. The page navigation was there when I had the max set to forum default. Is much of this in Java? Because As i have the standard choice for replies, many of the buttons on the quick reply do not show up on my end. Only one is the unlink icon. Once again this could me my end with an un updated java. What version of Java and flash are needed to view this site?

Neither Java nor Flash is needed to view the site. In order for many functions of the site to work though you do need JavaSCRIPT -- which is different then Java.

It could be a template problem. We don't test hybrid display out much, 90% of our effort goes into the linear. I'll have to do some testing.

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
This is more a help question... Is there a way to quickly jump to the New posts within a threa since your last view of the thread, when you are on the main forum for those particular threads. Example I am in General Discussion and I see there are new posts within this topic thread, I have read through many of the replies and questions, but like jumping to the first reply or post since my last viewing? This used to be the (new) icon that appeard near thread titles. Am I just missing it?

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another update.

Some members have been asking how to do the full reply / advanced reply when clicking on "Reply to Thread" -- By default it goes down to the quick reply area. However, if you double click the Reply to Thread button it will open up a new page with the full Advanced Editor.

Also, we've removed the "Nominate Banner" text to the title bar of the post area. The title bar has the Date the post was made as well as the post number. We've replaced it with an image now that says "Nominate Banner" -- I think this looks much better.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is more a help question... Is there a way to quickly jump to the New posts within a threa since your last view of the thread, when you are on the main forum for those particular threads. Example I am in General Discussion and I see there are new posts within this topic thread, I have read through many of the replies and questions, but like jumping to the first reply or post since my last viewing? This used to be the (new) icon that appeard near thread titles. Am I just missing it?

If there is an unread post in the thread you have two options to get there. To the left of the thread title there should be this icon:
firstnew.png

That will take you to the first unread post.

If you want to jump to the end of the thread, in the last post column, you should see this icon:
lastpost-right.png

That will jump you to the end of the thread.

Also note, this behaviour works from either the Forum Display/Thread List area or the Active Topics.

For those of you who have not seen it, Active Topics (in the navbar up top) -- it will show you the most recent replies to any threads on the site. The 40 most recent I believe. You can also utilize that to see whats going on with the forum. There is an icon next to the threads you've posted in or are subscribed to, it will show you whats new (bold) and not new (not bold) and jump to new posts or last posts with the icons mentioned above.

Here's a direct link to Active Topics: http://www.treasurenet.com/index.php?pageid=active_topics

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Thanks John. When I now have the main topic open I have the ability to move through the pages, but this is only when I have the original thread chosen. When I am in hybrid and looking at individual thread I can see all the buttons in the quick reply, just does not show up when on main thread. Small issues that if I was you I would classify as a 5 on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being most important and 5 being least important. I Love the new format, nicer on they eyes (getting less eye strain!!!) Once again, Keep up the good work.

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John. When I now have the main topic open I have the ability to move through the pages, but this is only when I have the original thread chosen. When I am in hybrid and looking at individual thread I can see all the buttons in the quick reply, just does not show up when on main thread. Small issues that if I was you I would classify as a 5 on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being most important and 5 being least important. I Love the new format, nicer on they eyes (getting less eye strain!!!) Once again, Keep up the good work.

Thank you! I've received a few emails with people who like the new upgrade as well. It's certainly not perfect. But I know that we will keep working at it until we get it as close as we can.

We definitely think the new skin is easier to read and we increased the font size to make it easier on some old eyes as well ;)

Thanks again for your support and I'll add the Hybrid thing to the list.

BTW, I'm updating the first post of this thread with some updates of what's broken and whats being fixed, etc.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
On the number of post per page
Go to Settings, general settings, thread display options, number of posts per page to change your settings.

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Thanks, Tested it out and it works partialy. It does take me to the first new unread post, but only will show that one and any replies to that post, It does not show all new posts.
Again I am in hybrid mode so I understand that this will be on back burner until all linear items are taken care of and is alright with me ;D

Edit: Ah this may be a my head problem and not fully understanding hybrid, when looking more closely this is I think how the feature is ment to act. It took me to the first new post and then showed all post that were replies to that, I had a brain fart and forgot hybrid treats the post selected as an idividual thread. doh on my part :banghead:

Last edited:

JohnDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Tested it out and it works partialy. It does take me to the first new unread post, but only will show that one and any replies to that post, It does not show all new posts.
Again I am in hybrid mode so I understand that this will be on back burner until all linear items are taken care of and is alright with me ;D

Edit: Ah this may be a my head problem and not fully understanding hybrid, when looking more closely this is I think how the feature is ment to act. It took me to the first new post and then showed all post that were replies to that, I had a brain fart and forgot hybrid treats the post selected as an idividual thread. doh on my part :banghead:

Just started using Hybrid for the first time ever to test out what you are talking about and yah, If there are multiple new posts it will show you all of them or any subsequent posts after the one you jumped to.

I did notice the "Hybrid View" text was a dark blue on dark grey background so I changed that to white and it's easier to read now, but a small bug none the less.

As far as jumping multiple pages in Hybrid Mode, it seemed to work for me in Chrome (on Mac) without issue :(

werleibr

Jul 26, 2010
Virginia
Yes the mutliple page jumping I was able to do less than 5 min after my post? Was strange, but hey no complaints from this department.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread