New spot brings another first!!! 2-cent piece!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I know I shouldn't be on TN on Christmas eve but I'm pretty excited and Santa is still not here. ;D

After work today, I started my maiden voyage at a new spot I just received permission to detect. This house was built just after the Civil War. The house sits at a busy intersection, and used to be rented out so I wasn't expecting much more than beer cans and pull tabs. BOY WAS I SURPRISED!!! :o
Right off the bat I started digging wheat pennies which was a good sign. :icon_thumleft: I dug old relics too which was another good sign. I dug a Merc, a Buff, plus much more. My best find came though at the end of my hunt as I was walking quickly towards a field area to detect. In the front yard I got a signal that was deep and I could tell it was going to be a coin just by the tone. At about 6" I saw a round green coin in the hole but had no clue what it was. :dontknow: It was too small to be a large cent, and I didn't see anything on it but a shield. I had a feeling it was an 1800's coin but didn't know what. :icon_scratch: Once I got home I cleaned the dirt off with only water & a Q-tip, and I could see a big "2" on the back.
I grabbed my coin book and sure enough, a 2-cent piece!!! This was another first for me.
That now makes an 1850 LC, 1860 IH fatty, and a 186? 2-cent piece within about a month. Ya-hoooo!
I don't know what it is, but Nov & Dec always seem to be good to me. :icon_thumleft:

I think I did pretty good on my first time at this spot. There was a great variety still there to be found. I'll be hitting it again this weekend I hope.

My finds today were:

*186? 2-cent piece

*1923 Buff nickel

*1944 Merc

*1948 Netherlands (?) 1-cent Is that what this is? No idea why this coin would be here. :dontknow:

*Wheats (12 total) - 1918 , 20 (x2) , 40 , 44 , 46 , 50 , 51 , 52 , 53 (x2) , 54.

*Silver decorative piece (looks old & like real silver)

*Wedding band

*Skeleton key, oval pin , Hubley car front , Hubley truck rear wheels , hatchet head , iron fence top, pocket knife, watch piece, etc.

Thanks for looking & take it easy tonight on the egg-nog. :occasion14: ;D
Goodnight to all, and to all a good night.
-MM-

Attachments

• MVC-154S.JPG
    MVC-154S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,883
  • MVC-155S.JPG
    MVC-155S.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 1,852
  • MVC-156S.JPG
    MVC-156S.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,869
  • MVC-157S.JPG
    MVC-157S.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,872
  • MVC-158S.JPG
    MVC-158S.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,866
  • MVC-159S.JPG
    MVC-159S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,863
  • MVC-160S.JPG
    MVC-160S.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,861
  • MVC-161S.JPG
    MVC-161S.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1,847
  • MVC-162S.JPG
    MVC-162S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,865
  • MVC-163S.JPG
    MVC-163S.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 1,838
  • MVC-164S.JPG
    MVC-164S.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,843
  • MVC-165S.JPG
    MVC-165S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,847
Upvote 0
fantastic finds. Merry Christmas, and Happy hunting.....

tymcmurray said:
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!

Clean that 2 center carefully!

http://www.justgometaldetecting.com/

Thanks Ty.
I hope you get a stocking full of Spanish fly silver for Christmas since you have been a good boy this year. ;D :icon_thumleft:

Great web site, thanks for the link.
-Doug-

Old River said:
fantastic finds. Merry Christmas, and Happy hunting.....

Thanks OR. :icon_thumleft:
Same to you,
MM

Congrats' on the 2 center!! Always nce to find one of those!
Merry Christmas! :hello:
Dale

Ia.FurTrade said:
Congrats' on the 2 center!! Always nce to find one of those!
Merry Christmas! :hello:
Dale

Thanks Dale. I now have a one cent & two cent, so hopefully I can move up to a 3 cent next. ;D
-Doug-

It's always great to get that surprise find at a site. They stay with us longer. :icon_thumright:

It must be nice to still get out and find them old coins.
You don't have any snow yet ? That's all we get is snow rain more snow. :thumbsup: :wav: ;D
Merry Christmas

Nice finds, Congrats on all the recent firsts :thumbsup: Merry Christmas.

Good hunting. I have seen my partner Weaver the big butt head dig 2 - 2 centers.

I want one bad. Congratulations on yours.

First a Fatty and then this.....Almost should have saved these for the New Year ::) No stopping ya Bud,Great Dig's Doug.......Merry X-Mas :icon_santa:

I do believe that your luck has returned as of late. Some great coins. I believe you have stumbled on a virgin site or at least lightly hunted. WTG and hit it hard over the holidays. MC & HNY, Quindy.

Dug, GREAT news on the new site producing already! :headbang: GREAT!!! :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang:

The two-center is just a hint of what else is hiding in that yard. That ground, I bet, has the strong scent of Seated silver. :headbang: You will get one from there! You will, Dug, you will!!

Sir Kyle

Nice hunt and finds! I'm surprised that is your first two center considering what you find. I see them found occasionally but not often, I wonder why, low mintage? HH, Mike

rodgerdodger said:
It must be nice to still get out and find them old coins.
You don't have any snow yet ? That's all we get is snow rain more snow. :thumbsup: :wav: ;D
Merry Christmas

No snow here RD. Rain today on Christmas, but back to mid-50's & sunny on Saturday. You can bet I'll be out detecting. ;D
-MM-

civilman1 said:
First a Fatty and then this.....Almost should have saved these for the New Year ::) No stopping ya Bud,Great Dig's Doug.......Merry X-Mas :icon_santa:

Thanks Joe. I've been lucky enough to check a few off my list before the end of the year. Now where is all that silver hiding? :dontknow:
Merry Christmas to you & Mini Me,
Doug

VOL1266-X said:
I do believe that your luck has returned as of late. Some great coins. I believe you have stumbled on a virgin site or at least lightly hunted. WTG and hit it hard over the holidays. MC & HNY, Quindy.

Thanks Q. I think this is Dmans favorite type of hunting spot isn't it? ;D
Lots of area to cover still, and another pasture area to grid at this new spot too. :icon_thumleft:
Merry Christmas buddy,
Doug

KylePA said:
Dug, GREAT news on the new site producing already! :headbang: GREAT!!! :notworthy: :headbang: :headbang:
The two-center is just a hint of what else is hiding in that yard. That ground, I bet, has the strong scent of Seated silver. :headbang: You will get one from there! You will, Dug, you will!!
Sir Kyle

Kyle,
I am over due for something seated, walking, standing, or even squating. :tongue3: Come on silver! :icon_thumleft:
Merry Christmas to you & Kirk in Colonial PA. :icon_thumleft:
-Dug-

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL and THANKS FOR THE REPLIES. VERY MUCH ENJOYED. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back