Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet..JPG Welcome for your first post. You bought a good detector and from the right place too. Bart is a great guy. If you have any questions and I expect many, just ask and someone will answer you. chirp in if you know the answer to someone's else's question. :coffee2:

Sandman :hello:
We the People.JPG

OP
OP
S

smt24219

Jan 20, 2014
Big Stone Gap, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!

NHBandit, I go through Kingsport every day on my way to Milligan College. I may have to pick your brain while learning the ins and outs of this :)

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from another SW Va member.....just not quite as far SW as you!
GL

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Thanks guys!

NHBandit, I go through Kingsport every day on my way to Milligan College. I may have to pick your brain while learning the ins and outs of this :)
Not a problem. I'm in a different situation than you are. I've been messing with this stuff off and on for several years but recently moved here from NH 2 years ago so I don't know any good places to go. I've heard that the laws in TN are very different too as far as public property. In NH parks, schools, playgrounds, etc. were all fine. Here I've been told you need permission pretty much everywhere.

OP
OP
S

smt24219

Jan 20, 2014
Big Stone Gap, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one of the things I was trying to find out: Who do I need to ask to find out where is ok to detect? I have a feeling if I just walk into a town hall and ask what the regs are, they are probably not going to really know and just say "no" right off the bat.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
That is one of the things I was trying to find out: Who do I need to ask to find out where is ok to detect? I have a feeling if I just walk into a town hall and ask what the regs are, they are probably not going to really know and just say "no" right off the bat.
It's not always cut & dry either. There was the remains of an old town in NH I used to poke around alot. It was a flood control area and under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers. A large sign posted at the entrance had all the rules for camping, riding bicycles, etc. and included a specific paragraph that said metal detecting was allowed but that anything over 100 years old should be reported. Well one day after going there regularly for years I had a ranger in a Chevy Blazer with government plates pull up next to where I was standing. He procedes to tell me that I can't be there with a metal detector. So I politely mentioned the sign to him. He gets all puffed up and tells me that when HE is on duty HE makes the rules and that if I don't leave immediately he will arrest me and take my equipment.. A month or 2 prior I had a different ranger driving the same truck ask me if I was having any luck and pointed me to where the ferry used to cross the river and tell me that other guys had made some good finds in that area... ??? Here it is in case any of my NH friends want to take their chances. http://www.nhtourguide.com/history/hill_village.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smt24219

Jan 20, 2014
Big Stone Gap, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. That's kinda messed up. Have you had any issues like that around this area since you have been here?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
No issues here yet because I've been building a big garage to mess with my hotrod projects, getting settled in, exploring the surrounding area in the car with the wife, etc. The metal detectors are in the corner gathering dust. Across the street is 200 acres of corn fields. When I see the owner going by on his tractor I plan to flag him down and ask permission to poke around over there before he does his Spring planting. Don't know if corn fields down here are a good place to search but up North they would often give up Colonial relics.

OP
OP
S

smt24219

Jan 20, 2014
Big Stone Gap, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. Once I find out what's what around here, I'll let you know in case you all want to head down this way one day.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Sounds good. We've been up that way several times just to go for a ride. Natural Tunnel State park was cool and near there where the railroad trestle is on the side of the road the wife got lucky and as she was taking pics of the trestle a train came through. Nice area. We are also planning to check out Lonesome Pine Speedway up in Coeburn. Building & owning racecars was something I did years back and I miss it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not always cut & dry either. There was the remains of an old town in NH I used to poke around alot. It was a flood control area and under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers. A large sign posted at the entrance had all the rules for camping, riding bicycles, etc. and included a specific paragraph that said metal detecting was allowed but that anything over 100 years old should be reported. Well one day after going there regularly for years I had a ranger in a Chevy Blazer with government plates pull up next to where I was standing. He procedes to tell me that I can't be there with a metal detector. So I politely mentioned the sign to him. He gets all puffed up and tells me that when HE is on duty HE makes the rules and that if I don't leave immediately he will arrest me and take my equipment.. A month or 2 prior I had a different ranger driving the same truck ask me if I was having any luck and pointed me to where the ferry used to cross the river and tell me that other guys had made some good finds in that area... ??? Here it is in case any of my NH friends want to take their chances. Hill Village NH: Relocating An Entire Town of Hill Village New Hampshire

Sounds like a Corps guy on a serious POWER TRIP..
I can understand some A.C.E. Rules ,But in my opinion others are just plain Stupid.

I'm sure all the relics (Over 100 years old ,like that 1913 cent) look real good to the dirt on top of them.

Seems it would be best to find all the relics now before the next 100 years flood hits the area in the next year or two & covers all that's left with trash filled river sediment.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! After years and years of wanting to get into this hobby, I finally bought one from big boys hobbies (Bart was great!) i ordered an Ace 350 and I'm anxiously awaiting it. I'm in Southwest VA, Big Stone Gap to be exact. I look forward to learning a lot.

Sorry for my rant smt24219 Hope your new machine arrives soon & you can get out and find those Hot Spots that ARE IN THE AREA.
Good Luck.
Davers

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Sounds like a Corps guy on a serious POWER TRIP..
I can understand some A.C.E. Rules ,But in my opinion others are just plain Stupid.

I'm sure all the relics (Over 100 years old ,like that 1913 cent) look real good to the dirt on top of them.

Seems it would be best to find all the relics now before the next 100 years flood hits the area in the next year or two & covers all that's left with trash filled river sediment.
It's a cool place. Founded in the mid 1700s as New Chester and had schools, factories, 3 churches, a railroad depot, etc. ALL gone.

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Birmingham Alabama, I wish you happy and safe hunting. Feel free to share tricks and tips. We look forward to seeing your cool finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread