New to metal detecting

tabsrus

Feb 4, 2007
I took my detector out today for the first time and all i seem to find is bottle caps, Allot of bottle caps I think back in the day a dump truck must have deposited them here in my yard. I guess I need to learn how to discriminate them out but good grief. well on the bright side, guess the detector works and the pinpoint is real close to being dead on. discovery 3300 the 99.00$ bargain

Upvote 0

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard Tabs

Glad to have you with us. Bottle caps can be frustrating. I could be wrong, but maybe you should dig them. By digging them, you are removing them and revealing old coins/relic that could be beneath the caps. Digging them can be a pain. Just an idea. Hope it helps

I like the screen name.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well you can start a bottle cap collection or get artsy
like the chair below made out of bottle caps

Attachments

• bottlecapchair.JPG
    bottlecapchair.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 434

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
T,

welcome to the board.

Congrat on all the bottle caps. ;) ;D

Give it time, finds will get better.

have a good un.....................

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once all the bottle caps are gone, you might beable to find coins.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
tabs, I'm no expert, new to the hobby just like you are. My advice is simple, whenever you go to a place, there will be coins, goodies, etc, and then there will be bottle caps and other junk. If you are going after coins, the solution is simple, discriminate and find some coins to get you motivated and then go back out with that confidence that you can find stuff. This is contrary to all metal advice, but it's what worked for me. If you're after anything other than coins, then you will have no choice but to dig caps and pulltabs and the sort. Then it's a matter of V numbers and knowing how your detector responds to objects. Tell us what type of hunting you want to try out first and maybe one of the 3300 users will help you out further. I hear that is a good machine by the way.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
dig everything. You will become an expert at digging plugs and learn the detector along the way. Neatness counts when you are in someone else's yard or a park etc
Grin

OP
OP
T

tabsrus

Feb 4, 2007
Ricardo that makes great since, thanks for the info. I want to hunt for coins and relics I am a big civil war buff and I love the historical value of things that i find. I hope that I can learn this machine. I already want a bigger and better one (detector)hahahaha I think the whites XLT Spectrum is a good unit or at least I like the way they look heck I dont know.. I just liek the way the whites machines look I guess I need to learn mine first huh ow well I will learn... or at least I will look I know what im doin I need some headphones. Any suggestions..

Thanks
from East Tennesee

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey if anything you could start a bottle cap collection ;D

I'm in the same boat, I just dig everything that I hear so that I get to know my machine, I think thats the best advice out there for learning a new machine.

OP
OP
T

tabsrus

Feb 4, 2007
well went out in to the backyard again today looks like a group of ground hogs or moles have been in my back yard there is holes everywhere but today I did not find anything in the holes that the detector said there was something there and I'm really confused. First time out at least there was something in the hole, I don't know what I'm doing wrong and the depth gauge reads at like 10 most of the time... I need help

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Hello Tab,

New to this also but some of the best sounding advice I have received here is to plant you a coin garden in your back yard. I plan to use golf tees with #'s on them and a note pad not to forget what is what. Going to plant a nail,pulltab,nickle,dime, penny or whatever and learn the sounds that way.

Lots of Luck
Jimmy T

OP
OP
T

tabsrus

Feb 4, 2007
thats a great Idea how deep would you plant them? Also I have a question for the gurus of metal detecting I went out today and found some stuff first money I found which was cool a penny but heck its money OK here is the question sometimes I get a reading that is iron and it says that it is a consistant 1 or 2 or 3 (number) and it keeps beeping that so I dig and I dig and I dig well when I'm deeper than my digging tool I'm wondering OK wheres it at. It will also do that on the very high side of the number and reads like 1.00 consistently with several swings, but I dig and dig and dig and dig and never nothing.. If someone could help I would appreciate it

Thanks

JimmyT

Jan 13, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Tabs, Plant them at different depths/ Penny 2in Penny 4in Just mark them down in the book and hear the difference.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to hate pull-tabs. That was until I started hunting sites that have a lot of aluminum screw tops. Now I REALLY hate aluminum screw tops.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Charlie P. (NY) said:
I used to hate pull-tabs. That was until I started hunting sites that have a lot of aluminum screw tops. Now I REALLY hate aluminum screw tops.
:D :D

I would go with the chair... ;D

Dig, dig and dig the more you'll get.. ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn your sensitivity back to two bars and work up. If you are getting most tones at 10" you are getting false signals probably because your ground balance is off and your sensitivity is set too high. Try to ground balance as per the manual. With the 3300 I can't always get mine to balance, so if not go to the default setting. You should stop getting those false signals if you follow my instructions. If that don't work, check for overhead highline wires. The 3300 is supersensitive to them. If that's the case you will just have to move out from under them. Monty

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Forum !!
You came to the right place to learn a lot. Just not from me cause I don't know much.
I was sittin outside having a cool beverage with a guy. He wiggles the pulltab off his beer and throws it in the yard.
I about flipped !! I went over and picked it up and nicely told him not to do that. (he's a LOT bigger than me)
Some engineer spent a lot of time making them so they STAY ON THE CAN. My yard is nothing but pulltabs and roofing nails. The rest of the place is rusty iron. I have only found $0.16 in clad.

Keep at it. Practice, practice, practice. Keep reading the posts here, there are a lot of CW buffs here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions