All Treasure Hunting

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A powerful PI detector (small enough to attach to your BC) with a magnetometer feature to ID ferrous from non-ferrous metals, adjustable pulse delay setting, minimum number of knobs, sturdy knobs that don't strip and solidly 'click' into position, loud audio, super sturdy earcups, bright LED readout light (instead of just an audio signal), long battery life, batteries stored in a separate compartment than the electronics...just to get this thread rolling. ;D

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning Mad: Isn't the pulse delay good enough to discriminate basically between ferrous and non-ferrous articles?

Carl my friend, how about incorporating a simple LED indicating direction finder for returning to your origional entry point in murky waters? Prob. work for cave explorers also under certain ocnditions. I.E green series for returning, red for leaving

Don Jose de La Mancha

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv
Just make improvements to the old White PI 1000 type that used a clicker/vibrator signal indicator. Eliminate as much mineralization interference as possible, and make the coil/shaft negative buoyant.

Consolación Diver

Apr 29, 2007
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we are long overdue for an improvement in the depth at which a detector can locate something.

Many times I have thouroughly checked an area and not gotten a peep out of my detector. I then returned to the area because of a "feeling", moved all of the rocks out of the area, hand fanned a bit, and discovered coins everywhere which were just out of reach of my detector.

I would like to see something that will detect a piece of 8 through sand and rocks at 3 feet or more.

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a favorite case design? Garrett Seahunter/Infinium, Minelab Excal, and Fisher CZ21/1280x all have isolate battery compartments. Where do you prefer the case to be mounted?

If you got 8-10 hrs on a charge would you want still want replaceable batteries? Charging port, perhaps through the headphone jack like Garrett?

I like the PI + mag idea... would you want this selectable to run full-time PI, full-time mag, or combo? Anyone using a dedicated hand-held mag, e.g. Quantro?

What is the current state-of-the-art in detection depth, i.e. on a piece of 8?

Thanks!
Carl

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I like the PI-mag combo idea, too. I would buy it for that feature alone. Thanks for exploring this, Carl. Are you seriously considering designing and marketing one?

Also, include a roto-tiller attachment for diggin thru the hardpan :wink:

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darren in NC said:
Thanks for exploring this, Carl. Are you seriously considering designing and marketing one?

Hi Darren,

Yes, I'm serious... I have a new job, I'm now engineering manager at White's Electronics. I'd like to revamp our water detectors, so I'm asking for suggestions from both divers and SW hunters. Probably need to design a single case for both designs, the way Fisher did for Impulse, CZ20, and 1280x.

Hope things are well with you!

Regards,
Carl

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I can't think of a better guy they could have brought aboard. Lucky them.

Forgive me for being lazy and not looking it up (I'm a Tesoro guy), but I heard this past year that White's was coming out with a discriminating pi unit. Is there truth to that?

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We introduced the TDI, which is an Eric Foster-designed PI with quasi-iron discrimination. One option is to put a version of that in a waterproof case.

- Carl

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.
I like the JW Fisher design on their Pulse detector, few buttons. If i could wish for another detector, it must have been one even more powerful.

I believe that most are looking for an extreme powerful detector. The price is not important.

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
1. a discrimination feature for my pulse 8x.
2. an underwater gps so I can grid without having to come up.
3. a set of headphones that can take a little more punishment so I can use them as a lanyard.
4. a target depth approximator .
5. a bungee with an attachment to hold my digging tool. my wrist lanyard works but can be a pain while digging by hand.
6. a pinpointer for my pulse 8x
7. a metal indicator for what type of metal is found.
8. longer coil cables for my pulse 8x
9. an instant ground adjuster
10. a good pouch that doesn't lose anything if turned over that is easy to use.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
How about a switch to toggle between the coil and a probe while underwater. Of course this would mean you could have an optional probe attached!

How many times were we working with the coil and get into some rocks or crevices and need a probe on Seahunters site? I would definitely buy one!

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Garrett case is one of the best and most rugged in my opinion. I never had a Garrett u/w detector leak on me. Can't say that about the JW Fisher (and their wimpy knobs strip all the time)

The magnetometer feature can be something that can be turned on and off at will.

(the Quantro Sensing handheld mag is not balanced well, is unweildy underwater and you have to stare at a digital readout. The Aquascan mag is easier to handle and featurees an audio target indicator)

Replaceable rather than rechargeable batteries.

(Look at the detector I am using in my avatar....Aquascan almost has it right) ;D

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Trond said:
I believe that most are looking for an extreme powerful detector. The price is not important.

Agreed. If it has all the features Tom has mentioned along with the probe Robert mentioned, it will be expensive. But it will sell, too.

I'd like the mag feature to have a push button located on the handle where I can just "thumb it" quickly while testing the target for being non-ferrous. Stopping to switch a toggle would be a pain, but should be fine for switching to the probe.

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
I had the misfortune of an old timer visit stay bs and tell me he was working for Whites and developing a new unit, he headed to Equador, I dont think a bad bone in his body just had no idea about diving and told stories like a fisherman, any way short story I was under the impression you (whites) were making a unit built into the headset (headhunter) to me a combination of this and the Aquascan wand is a positive route, if one day you can combine the mag good luck for now the wand headset combo is first make sure its robust and as Mad4Wrecks says some light indicator. Ive got a couple of your units, good beach detectors, u/w JW Fisher floods Ive three flooded and only once could think I may have been to blame in return out of pocket each time,headhunter was great flooded first dive at 10 feet flooded thereafter three times sent back after repairs at DHL full of water in the box is how it was returned, great idea piss poor service, Garret agreed is pretty bullet proof, now my Minelab is very sweet im scared of the buttons but so far so good. Good luck compact, rugged and priced well it is long overdue. GH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread