Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New York revolution button ID.

OK IF, it is not a reenactor's reproduction button, then it is a NY 2nd Battalion button from
just after 1781. However, it states no buttons have been encountered yet when Don Troiani's book on buttons was published.
If you want I can send photo to a known Rev War collector and he will be able to tell if it is a cast copy or the real deal, if real deal it is a super find!

Don

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

New York
2nd Battalion?
Cast.
What material?
Size?
Like Don says, it could be a repo. But if its not, its a goodie.
DG

Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If that button is the genuine article, then that is truly an awesome find. Might want to get that thing looked at by an expert. Congrats.

Upvote 0

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Did anyone send it to Troiani yet? I will send to him now...

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep us posted.

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If it were a Reenactor's button, would there not be a record of the group existing? In other words for it to be a reenactors button that was lost, I would think there would be a listing somewhere of Reenactors by the Battalions they represent.

I found this website that claims to be a "master listing" site for reenactor units and I do not see one for the 2nd Battalion New York, just the 3rd Battalion.......
http://www.revwar.com/reenact/master_list.html

This button is interesting. :)

Don

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The plot thickens...

I'm hoping this turns out to be a banner find, Earthworks. Keeping my fingers crossed.

-Buckleboy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EARTHWORKS

EARTHWORKS

Apr 30, 2005
Poughkeepsie, N.Y.

Hey guys: Thanks for the posts. Troiani got back to us and said to him it looks like a fake.
And that was all he said.
I live near the West Point museum and may take it there. Also found these buttons the same day with the stamped 23 on the back looking to clean to me.
The RP (royal provisional) was found at the same site over the winter and Troiani also said was a fake. Starting to see a pattern here.
Gary

Attachments

• royal 003.jpg
    royal 003.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 437
  • royal 001.jpg
    royal 001.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 419
  • royal 002.jpg
    royal 002.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 439
Upvote 0

MilitaryCollector

Sep 4, 2007
New England, USA
Too bad, but do look new, I'd go ask some old timers around like maybe older cops,fireman, at library, people at fort/park if they remember seeing reenactors at that site. I'm sure theirs a record.
Keep us posted

Upvote 0

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack
let me start by saying i know nothing about buttons...
however i deal with alot of old stuff. get a second or third opinion. not to discredit anyones knowledge or such but one guy says its a fake isnt enough for me to just give up. if a few guys say its a fake then maybe i'll beleive it. specially if you have something really rare.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2006
......the NY 2nd Bat. button is a 20th cenury reenactors button. The giveaway is the style of both the lettering and numerals shown which are not 18th century in nature. Also the shank construction is not period.......notice the high pedestal under the eye of shank which is not correct for Rev War American manufacture. Also the size/diameter of the button (appears to be 20mm?) is not the norm.....coat size are larger and waistcoat size are smaller. Also a test of the alloy will most likely come up as a very high % of tin which most repro buttons are made of instead of an 18th century pewter alloy which has more lead mixed with the tin which promotes more corrosion when in the ground. The only exception is when the soldiers ran out of block tin they would melt pure lead for their uniform buttons which holds up nicely when in the ground for over two centuries or when a pewter button is found in fresh water with a low oxygen content.
Also of note, there is no known period Rev War buttons with numerals stamped on the back, just reproductions.
Wish it were "good" but unfortunately it isn't....."buttonman"

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thankyou Buttonman, I wish more who knew would explain why something is not the real deal rather than just saying it is a reproduction. You took the time to come on here and explain, I know I appreciate you doing that.
Again, THANKS!!!

Don in South Jersey

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Interesting education Buttonman... I also appreciate your posting to this firum, and explaining finer points to those of us who are very interested.

Great reply and explaination.

Too bad - :(

Upvote 0

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buttonman...I'll ditto all of the above thanks. I appreciate the experts taking the time to educate those of us that know little but are eager to learn from those that know...much appreciated!!

Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
colonialdetectorist said:
......the NY 2nd Bat. button is a 20th cenury reenactors button.

One question, I addressed this in an earlier reply, IF it is a reenactors button, why is there no record of any NY2nd Bat. reenactors unit?

Here is the quote from my earlier reply:

"I found this website that claims to be a "master listing" site for reenactor units and I do not see one for the 2nd Battalion New York, just the 3rd Battalion.......
http://www.revwar.com/reenact/master_list.html "

Don

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread