Newbie at 77, please review this starting kit!

drd777

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
Sun City Center FL
Detector(s) used
Don't have one yet.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, my son got into MD and wants me to join him. I've been reading this forum and others, as well as checking out all the Manufacturers.

Here are my limitations: MDer must be light, don't want to be on my knees to long looking or digging.

Started off really liking the F2 because its light and reasonable and for $215 came with a 4" coil, a Fisher Pinpointer,and a bag of goodies. Then I read negative comments on the PP and wondered if all those bargain diggers, bags, etc were really value added.

Then I wondered if I really needed the screen; if I located a 5, 10,25, or 50 cent piece wouldn't I dig anyway?

I am finally thinking of : Tesoro Compadre - thought about the Silver umax but for a $100 more?

Garrett Pro Pointer- Spent saved $100 on this, won't spend as much time on knees - looking

Sampson 31" Shovel - Don't think one of those hand diggers would do it.

Even at that Compadre+Garrett PP+Sampson is $160+123+59 = $343 seems a lot for a basic kit. Or is it?

What else would I need for parks and dry sand? I have headphones.

Upvote 0

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my 2 cents I own an Ace250 & have paid for it 4-5 times over...Its a good detector for the money 212.00! I definatley recomend a pinpointer Garrett propointer ...it will speed up recovery 125.00 & as far as a digger I have a Lesche 35.00. Recovery bag .79 cents at lowes (Nail bag)....373.00 Not bad to begin with!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro detectors are made in the USA and come with a lifetime warranty (nontransferable and be sure to send in the card within 10 days of purchase). They also tend to not need the warranty more than most other brands. If another company doesn't provide a lifetime warranty, then there's probably a reason. Fisher and Garrett make some decent detectors for cheap, but none of them have a lifetime warranty!

As to the pinpointer, many people consider them indispensable. I've read stories from people who drove 20 miles to a particular site, realised they forgot their pinpointer, then drove home and back to the site (an extra 40 miles) just to get the pinpointer. From my own experience, I can't blame them. If I forgot my pinpointer, detecting just wouldn't be as much fun without it.

When I first got my Tesoro MicroMax Silver (first machine), I didn't get the pinpointer right away. Because I didn't have one, I developed a process of estimating depth, starting the hole, and then laying the big detector's coil uncomfortably close to the hole. That way, I could use a plastic trowel and double-wave each scoop of soil as I brought it up. The only other option was to actually pick up the big machine while kneeling (or stand up and squat down a whole bunch of extra times) to swing over the hole again. Standard-sized detectors are made for sweeping larger areas. Pinpointers are made for working in the hole. There is no 8 inch coil on Earth that will ever pinpoint as well as a 1/4 inch coil in a dedicated pinpointer. It's a simple matter of data resolution. The big coil is just too much for working in a small hole.

So, what can a pinpointer do for you? Here's what:
1. With the Garrett Pro Pinpointer, you can lay it on its side and sweep about 3 inches at a time.
2. You can use its nose for pinpointing at the same distance with a thinner field.
3. You can use it to tell you which side of a hole bears a target.
4. It will decrease your time on small, near-surface objects to less than half.
5. It will decrease the average time you spend on any given hole.
6. It will decrease the average size of your holes, saving work and some grass.
7. Because you save time digging, you spend more time swinging on new objects.
8. You can exploit the auto-threshold when the unit activates to decrease sensitivity.
(sometimes incorrectly called "detuning")
9. You can use a large, metal object to over-charge the field to increase sensitivity.
(sometimes incorrectly called "super-tuning")

These are the first nine reasons to buy a pinpointer that came off the top of my head. It changes the experience of detecting and digging. When the work gets shorter and easier, and you start seeing more rewards for the same amount of work, you start having more fun and wanting to go out more. If you want to spend as little time as possible bending and digging, GET THE PINPOINTER.
You forgot one thing...the pro pointer is just plain fun to use...best money I ever spent.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With your careful approach, I'm sure you'll end up with something you enjoy. Happy hunting, drd777. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread