What's new

Next To my house Construction demo should i hit it?

Manknee

Full Member
Joined
May 22, 2012
Messages
101
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
Location
Nj
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 8.5X11 DD COIL, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20160928_181850.webp
20160928_181905.webp
I got an itch that cant be ignored. Sun down in 20min
 
Two massive stumps removed
 
1475101872031367051451.webp
Got these with me plus detector.
 
Can't hurt. No grass to replace so perfect timing.
 
14751054616961779056557.webp
Went by the stumps with my pro pointer and two nails. Funny how right when you go detecting all the neighbors start going to thier cars lights also go on in the houses. Lol I know theres coins in there. The holes left from the stumps oh man i got to hit hard. Permission just seems the right way incase of nosy onlookers.
 
I never hesitate for a moment to hunt any old town demolition site I come across.
 
Definitely tom, problem is this is right next to a major roadway, i want permission to hunt in peace. Seems like its stalled , no workers for a week. Its in the back of my mind the goodies that might be in that soil. I might hit it early.
 
hi; GO FOR IT.!!! nobody else will. As long as your not disturbing traffic I say there is no problem. You may be amazed at what yu will find. Dig everything. you have nothing to lose fr sure. Good Luck & Post the pictures ok. PEACE:RONB :headbang:
 
Talk to the contractor. I don't see any barricades in the pictures. Explain to them that you're just curious about old silver coins being buried in the area that they tore up. Tell them that some of the neighbors are nosy and that you just want to be able to say that you have permission to metal detect after the work is done for the day.
 
Talk to the contractor. I don't see any barricades in the pictures.....

,,,,, i want permission to hunt in peace. ....

Well sure. We all want permission, to have a feeling of ease and peace, right ? So that if anyone questions you, you can whip out your permission and they'll slink away, right ? Naturally this is most calming.

However, the problem is, that most of the time, from most any demolition contractor, is that you'll get a "no". Even if, truth be told, the thought never crossed their mind, nor would they have glanced twice, and are long gone by 5:30pm, etc... Because the moment they say "yes", they have images of legal ramifications, liability, etc.... Hence the easy answer is most always "no".

So while it's true that some city or contractor's Permission slip gives "peace", yet you'll find yourself precluded from most good demolition sites. We had this problem in our club, where those coming in with the goodies at each month's show & tell, were sometimes met with "How'd you get in there to hunt ? We asked and got told no , so ... how is it fair that you hunted there and we couldn't ?" ( for example at a public school's demolition project)
 
Yeah you're right , people leave garbage spread everywhere, on others property. But when we whip out the detectors we become the bad guys. It bothers me a bit. We do a service for the community permission shouldnt be in our minds when we hunt.
 
.....But when we whip out the detectors we become the bad guys.....

Yup. Metal detecting has "connotations ". Not every last person is going to fall in love with you, or roll out red carpets for you. Hence I will simply avoid running into such people. If that means detecting at night, so be it. ;)
 
I say hit it tonight or at 5 am when lookie Lou's are away
 
Put an orange vest on, tool belt, hard hat, whatever......look the look and detect away
 
However, the problem is, that most of the time, from most any demolition contractor, is that you'll get a "no". Even if, truth be told, the thought never crossed their mind, nor would they have glanced twice, and are long gone by 5:30pm, etc... Because the moment they say "yes", they have images of legal ramifications, liability, etc.... Hence the easy answer is most always "no".

So while it's true that some city or contractor's Permission slip gives "peace", yet you'll find yourself precluded from most good demolition sites. We had this problem in our club, where those coming in with the goodies at each month's show & tell, were sometimes met with "How'd you get in there to hunt ? We asked and got told no , so ... how is it fair that you hunted there and we couldn't ?" ( for example at a public school's demolition project)

Twenty six years with NYC Transit and another 24 years in the construction trade,, if there is one thing I learned during that time: "You must secure the area"
That means constructing containment areas and installing barricades with proper reflective bunting and signage. From what I see in the pictures above, none of these precautionary measures were taken. You can walk into that site, step into a hole, break your ankle, and hire a good lawyer. I can't authorize you to go in there but prior to this demo, would you have had a problem if you were to swing a coil across that property. It looks like a sidewalk to me. I didn't know that scanning a grass island or median that is adjacent the curb was illegal. It belongs to the city or town, and there are no barricades or signage present that say:
"Do not enter"
 
Last edited:
I originally answered this post from viewing from my smart phone. And on smart phone, pix are not easy to see.

Now I'm seeing it on my desk-top 'puter, and see that this "demolition site" appears to be right next to a residential house. Eh ? If so, then I do not apply my brazen "don't ask silly questions" philosophy to obvious residential urban yards. As opposed to nameless faceless corporation or public land, etc.... So .... sorry for possible mis-application of "just go" stance.

Especially if, as you say, this is your neighbor. If so, won't your neighbor be ok with it and just say "help yourself" ?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom