Mar 21, 2009
UpCountry, SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Teknetics T2, Fisher Goldbug,
Whites 5900/ di Pro sl
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just getting around to posting this. Went to Low Country two weeks ago to hit some old sites and a site of a CW skirmish. Found a few CW relics but not much worth posting about. This find however was quite a surprise. Found in the middle of the woods. Signs of an old homestie were near but from the history have all been gone for 100+ years or so if not longer.
The ring is very small-it only fits on the pinky of my 4 year old daughter. It has a ruby on top and the makers mark is a "B" or "D" with a star inside. I have found reference to a "B" inside a star as Balfour Co. but this is not it. Any info on the makers mark would be appreciated.

Palmetto

Attachments

• Childs gold ring1.jpg
    Childs gold ring1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,733
  • Childs gold ring2.jpg
    Childs gold ring2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,742
  • Childs gold ring 3 makers mark.jpg
    Childs gold ring 3 makers mark.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,892
Upvote 0
If you have a digital camera with display screen and a jeweler's loupe, put the camera on macro and shoot your picture while holding the loupe closely in front of the lens. Works great on maker's marks! Nice find, BTW.

Palmetto said:
Argentium said:
Great find ! I agree with the high karat assessment , Not sure about the age - the hallmark
to me looks more modern than the Georgian period offered earlier , and I'm fairly sure that
it is not of European manufacture - they hallmark to the max - makers, city , date , monarch ,
metal quality etc. Argentium. (give us a weight on it , and have it tested )

Thanks for reply. I think I will have it tested as to karat. The wight comes in right at 1 gram. Keep in mind this thing is an infant or small child's ring. My 4 year old, who is small can barely fit it on her pinky finger.
From what I can find,it does appear European makers did hallmark "to the max" as you say.
Will post a better pic or drawing of mark and see what we come up with-thanks.

Palmetto
Don't use the fact that British & European Gold/Silver were meant to be 'well' Hallmarked as an indication that they were. Many were only partly marked & some not marked at all. It depended on whether they did it properly & took it to an assayer which 'taxed' them. Many avoided this tax.
It doesn't look British, or at least the Hallmark doesn't look typically British (might be European :dontknow: ), but the style does look circa 1800 give or take. However, rings are not my thing, & someone should be able to pin it down more precisely.

Really amazing ring!!!
Congrats :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

That ring is a BEAUTY ! :headbang:

Gorgeous ring!

This is a beautiful find that should've made the banner, given its age, rarity, and eye appeal. Your ring looks early 1800s to me in style, perhaps late 1700s even. Can you tell what cut is used on the stone? That will help with pinning down the age. The ring is probably high karat, and it will be worth much, Much more as a beautiful piece of antique jewelry than its melt value for sure.

Cheers,

Buckles

BuckleBoy said:
This is a beautiful find that should've made the banner, given its age, rarity, and eye appeal. Your ring looks early 1800s to me in style, perhaps late 1700s even. Can you tell what cut is used on the stone? That will help with pinning down the age. The ring is probably high karat, and it will be worth much, Much more as a beautiful piece of antique jewelry than its melt value for sure.

Cheers,

Buckles

Buckles,
thanks-it is really a nice find. The pics dont do it justice. I am taking it first thing next week to get it tested and find out what cut was used on the ruby.
I will report back ASAP.

Palmetto

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back