What's new

Nifty idea for water hunts

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
19,212
Reaction score
12,627
Golden Thread
1
Location
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a nifty idea to use on those little water ways or if you are in sandy soil. We used them in a little stream that was sandy and rocky and had a hard mud bottom. It was perfect to get between the mud and the good stuff above. Once you see what you have you can easily chunk your debri into a pile. Get a little shovel full and shake it check it out and get another.
It's a cat poop shovel for litter boxes from the pet store. Very sturdy. Great tool :laughing7: in the right spots where you have permission.

100_4380.webp
 
Upvote 0
Another good idea is to cut the bottom out of a bucket so you can search in deeper water. Just an suggestion.
 
Add a piece of glass to the bottom of that bucket..that works great for hunting fossils too.
Also.. Here in Florida we have what's known as sand fleas.. they are good for bait ..they are really a small member of the crab family.
They make commercial rakes for them but I make my own since I sell the bait to local bait and tackle shops I make mine large... I've used these pretty successfuly for fossil hunting and shark teeth.


ForumRunner_20130708_194215.webp

Alot of beach metal detecting scoops work well at differt locations too.

ForumRunner_20130708_194851.webp
 
I like that idea and have wanted to make one of those buckets with the glass bottom. Plexiglass or glass?
 
I like thick glass.
Plexiglas gets full of scratches the first day you use it.. and is like trying to see through a beat up pair of sunglasses.
I just use silicone to hold it on.
I've seen people use those so long they found it necessary to cut up a pool foam "noodle" and attatch it to the top of the bucket so they could lean down on it blocking out glare from the sun.
It's like a miniature glass bottom boat.
 
I like that idea and have wanted to make one of those buckets with the glass bottom. Plexiglass or glass?

either will work well, but one is far more fragile and heavier. Something about a real glass bottom bucket just doesn't seem right.
 
All the best scuba masks are glass.
And you don't feel much weight because the water is holding it up.
 
Well I use the scuba mask but I wear glasses and unless I get the correct lens for my dive mask I am missing a little. I might be able to use glass and use the film that nascar uses on their windshields. I will ask Dale Jr.
 
All the best scuba masks are glass.
And you don't feel much weight because the water is holding it up.

How do I post my finds on this app? I have only figured out how to quote!....
 
Not everyone uses the smartphone app.
But I belive you just hit the options button on your phone.. hit reply then attatch..that should let you choose a photo from your gallery.
 
Not everyone uses the smartphone app.
But I belive you just hit the options button on your phone.. hit reply then attatch..that should let you choose a photo from your gallery.

I have it on the I pad and figured out how to put photos with my quote but I wanted to make my own quote

image-1663206274.webp



image-6152888.webp
 
Ill have to get me a pooper scooper like that one. I made a sifter bucket today hopefully it will work rite. Has anyone ever tried a lettuce shaker slash strainer before? They are bowls with slats on the sides.
 
I've seen people use those.
A lot of kids use those for fossil shark teeth in the springs here.
The problem with them is they pile everything up in the center.
If you plan on moving a lot of material you will have to dig through all of it.
A flat sifting screen is very easy to make and you can spread out the material ..separating what you've already looked through from what you haven't ..and clearly see all of it.
 
I like thick glass.
Plexiglas gets full of scratches the first day you use it.. and is like trying to see through a beat up pair of sunglasses.
I just use silicone to hold it on.
I've seen people use those so long they found it necessary to cut up a pool foam "noodle" and attatch it to the top of the bucket so they could lean down on it blocking out glare from the sun.
It's like a miniature glass bottom boat.

Reminds me of these alternatives...
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    15 KB · Views: 98
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 107
Just like that.. only those are less trailer park then mine. :-)
"Disclaimer" ... I like trailers and I like Parks. That was only an expression.
 
Last edited:
Just like that.. only those are less trailer park then mine. :-)
"Disclaimer" ... I like trailers and I like Parks. That was only an expression.

A friend is making me one. I'd thought of it, and when I saw the success he had with the basic one he built, I will give it a shot as well. And my wife can use it when quahogging. The one the girl is using might be just the ticket for me and I might get one. No glare, and I can see myself sitting or kneeling in shallow water with it.
 
I don't know if you ever do any fossil hunting in the water.. but they are perfect for that as well as artifacts... one warning... in a good area you will forget all about time .. but your back will remind you when you stand up.
Waist deep water is best.
 
I don't know if you ever do any fossil hunting in the water.. but they are perfect for that as well as artifacts... one warning... in a good area you will forget all about time .. but your back will remind you when you stand up.
Waist deep water is best.

Exactly my thought. I'm always having to find ways to work around a bad back.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom