granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew I'd have 2 hours free time to detect on Sunday (2/17), from about noon to 2pm at which time I'd have to leave, clean up, and head to my mom's birthday party. I woke up to see it was 29 degrees and 30mph winds. I went outside with the dogs and said, "Grant, you have a sickness if you detect today." Well, I'm sick. I bundled up head to toe, and put on my new waterproof Helly Hansen rubberized pants. So worth the $22. I dare say I felt balmy and didn't even notice the wind. I went a few blocks away to a vacant house where my step-father is the real estate agent and had gained me permission. I've been once before and found a beer token and gas valve, but nothing much else. This day I would target the side and back yards, which had basked in the sun all week long. The soil was ideal. Soft and didn't fall apart.

On the side yard I gridded, and up the first past just found aluminum shards. Around my turn was a bush and I got a 12/29 and 12/30 on the CTX. It would ring 12/29 on the left swing, 12/30 on the right. So I dug. Out came a washer, NO! Square hole! Chinese coin? Yes, definitely looks like an old Chinese coin. Cool!

2-18-13-musa-chinese-1.jpg

A few feet away I got more aluminum shards, a nickel, and then another Chinese coin! My first!

2-18-13-musa-chinese-2.jpg

I started to wonder about migrant Chinese railroad workers and maybe this meant something to my town's history that I didn't know about, but then again, we're not on the west coast. Hmm...

About an hour in I looked up and saw 2 policemen. My first encounter with cops! "Whatcha doing?" I explained that I have permission etc., and they were really cool. A neighbor had called since the house had been vacant for so long and they saw me out there. Actually nice of the neighbor to be looking out. They left and wished me luck.

I wound up finding another Chinese coin before I set my sights on the back yard.

Got all the way up one side and then got a good signal. I popped the plug out and a GIANT coin stared me in the face, and I could clearly see a left-facing bust. George!! I gasped and fell back. I grabbed it and poured the rest of my bottled water over it to see it clearly. Not as old as I hoped but still very cool: 1916 King George V penny. A first for me:

2-18-13-musa-kg5-back.jpg 2-18-13-musa-kg5-front.jpg

I still couldn't get over the size of it. My alarm set for 2pm, I knew I had 15 minutes left. Probably enough to finish off the yard. Then I got a really messy hit... numbers jumped all around. Well, why not dig, right? Out pop 2 more Chinese coins on top of each other. My pro pointer was lighting up. Another Chinese coin! And another! Then a few nails, and then another coin! My first coin spill! I also retrieved a few small bullet shells from the same hole, which gave me a creepy feeling that perhaps there was a scuffle that led to the spill. My alarm started to sound. Crap! I have to go. Ug, still more in this hole! I managed to retrieve 12 more coins (15 total for the day) before I had to pack it up. Didn't want to but my mom's b-day party beckoned.

2-18-13-musa-chinese-coins-group.jpg

I will be back soon to retrieve the rest. I was able to ID the smaller one (I measured it at 22mm but this site has it as 23mm):
Ching Dynasty - Tao Kuang coins
Tao Kuang Coins (1821-1850 a.d.) - Obv.: Tao Kuang T'ung Pao; Rev.:
Right: Manchu Ciowan - The Board of Revenue mint, Peking
Left: Manchu Boo - coin

The larger coin I have measured at 23mm (so maybe it's 24mm)?

Other cool finds that I have to ID:

Vintage toy car, measures 3.75"
2-18-13-car.jpg

Cowboy on horse? Measures 1.75"
2-18-13-musa-cowboy.jpg

Toy train, oil tanker, measures 3.75:
2-18-13-musa-train.jpg

Oh, and I saw a neighbor outside gathering all his garbage that was blowing around (not sure if same neighbor who contacted police). But I chitchatted with him a bit and he told me when he bought his house that he found a lot of railroad relics. He wound up going inside, and coming back out and giving me one of them! A vintage railroad insulator. Another first!

2-18-13-musa-railroad-insulator.jpg

And finally, some misc finds from the day:

2-18-13-musa-misc.jpg

Upvote 17

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Fantastic Day! WHAT A SUPER COIN SPILL, & MORE STILL THERE, WOW! You'll recall this brief, unique hunt for a long time! Insulator too, woo! HH Andi

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd rather be called on then to have to call. Kind of a good thing that there's a community watch of sorts.

Very interesting finds!

HH!

MNcoinhunter

Nov 19, 2012
Northern Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-5, 6" Excelerator EQ2, SEF 10X12.
Garrett AT Pro, 8X11 DD & 5X8 DD,
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt ... and a spot to remember for sure !! Congrats ! :happy3:

302guy

Banned
Jan 24, 2013
Delaware / SoDel
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro (for now)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds. I'm in Southern Delaware, I've hit the beaches a few times here recently and the are picked CLEAN. Did find a few quarters and a cellphone though. I'm saving the old homesites for warmer weather. Might have to talk to a few of my realtor friends though and see if they can hook me up.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a productive hunt for just 2 hours. I have never dug one of those Chinese coins.

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great finds. You gotta get back to that yard!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Hunt! Very unusual to find a Chinese coin spill. Let us know if you can date any of the others. HH!

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'd rather be called on then to have to call. Kind of a good thing that there's a community watch of sorts.

Very interesting finds!

HH!

Agreed. It's nice knowing I live in a community that watches each others' back.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds. I'm in Southern Delaware, I've hit the beaches a few times here recently and the are picked CLEAN. Did find a few quarters and a cellphone though. I'm saving the old homesites for warmer weather. Might have to talk to a few of my realtor friends though and see if they can hook me up.

Realtors are GREAT resources! I have a few "working for me."

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a productive hunt for just 2 hours. I have never dug one of those Chinese coins.

Yeah, I was excited for just one! ErikInNJ mentioned to me that people used to loop these coins on a string or strap, which makes sense. That doesn't account for the 3 others that were scattered about the rest of the yard.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. You gotta get back to that yard!

I will, and with some urgency. I just found out that it may close at the end of the month! Luckily I've searched all of it except about 10 square feet, and the remainder of this started hole.

OP
OP
granthansen

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Hunt! Very unusual to find a Chinese coin spill. Let us know if you can date any of the others. HH!

I will. My guess is same time period of early- to mid-1800s, but different denominations. I've found many similar coins but nothing exact. It's difficult since these Japanese characters are just lines and squiggles to me, so it makes my search interesting. I'm going to clean them up and get better, close-up pics and see how I fare.

materdigger1

Jun 7, 2012
Natchez, Mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Teknetics T2SE , Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Raven 25 digging tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes we are sick - LOL - Real cool finds on The Chinese coins - might need to carry some donuts md'n next time for the cops - ha

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Chinese coin and penny can't wait to here what else is found

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing finds!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the size of the casings next to the nickel I will venture they are .22 caliber longs and one .22 short. If they are center fire shells then you can fire me for messing up. I would guess that the Chinese coins came from the far east side of the house.

Did you get your hands good and clean before going to the birthday party? You had a good day detecting and I hope it was even better afterwards at the party. I suspect your 'Mom' is a touch younger than mine but spend good time with her every time you can. For her next birthday maybe take her detecting in her backyard and locate the nice gold necklace you've planted there (in a plastic bag) for her gift. Maybe a teeny tiny tag on it that says happy birthday mom!.

Other than it being colder than all get out, how's the learning going with the new gun, 3030?...........63bkpkr

RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Finds. WTG!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread