What's new

Notched point type a bit mysterious

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this one but it's a bit odd for the area.
Thought I'd post

ForumRunner_20131123_090954.webp



ForumRunner_20131123_091112.webp



ForumRunner_20131123_091258.webp



ForumRunner_20131123_091325.webp



ForumRunner_20131123_091528.webp
 
Upvote 0
Love the beveling on that one!

Thanks.. both of you.
The beveling is what is throwing me off on the type...it makes me think more Bolen than the Duval that it's been called up to this point.
 
Last edited:
Base ground? Important diagnostic trait for Bolen, not Duval. (Not Always!!??!?!?!) Dig site, water or walk? Not much patina except maybe water.... Bolens are one of the most patinated points in any FL collection. The beveling is confusing and would be nicer, LOL, if it was alternately beveled, but looks like the base is "wrong" for any classic Bolen.... That being said I have found Bolens same color from saltwater/clay Tampa Bay. So it's still quanderiferous.
 
Hey..thanks Tom.
I agree totally that it doesn't really look Bolen either.
It was a low tide find.
Base isn't ground but notches have some.
?????

IMG_20130407_175501-enhanced-enhanced_1.webp
 
ForumRunner_20131123_161634.webp



ForumRunner_20131123_161834.webp

This is the alternate side.. Sorry about the bad photos
 
May have to call that one a Gator Bolen Variant........
Almost every Duval I have are diamond cross sectioned, yours is flatter. Duvals are not generally well made, yours is.....
More confused, LOL. You find any fossils at all in the same area?
Tom
 
Yes.
 
So far.....Bolen! I didn't see that beveling, has my mind in a Woodland state of mind anyway......LOL
Unusual variant of base...
So many are points are non typical, that goes for any "type" point, and especially if reworked.

This one is a Bolen, too, found on the clay with fossils. I think a typologist would have a tough time with this base, too. Rough shape, but an example of non-classical base and notches, have to go by site/depth/associated tools, etc.
 
Thanks for all the help you volunteer on my behalf Tom.
It's highly regarded and very much appreciated.
 
Gator my book shows a plain Bolen and also a beveled Bolen that is beveled on one side only. JMO yours looks to be a cross, it has the bevel and the notching of the bevel style, but the base of a plain Bolen. Just a guess:icon_scratch:
 
I definitely see a mix of the two... one of the most confusing things about the Bolen point is there are 5 recorded styles here in Florida.
 
Last edited:
Really nice find, & does look like its been is salt water.
 
THANK YOU
 
Nice find Gator. If 5 bolen variants are documented in your area, I would feel safe calling it a bolen. Kinda like our guilford. As long as a couple of key characteristics are present, it makes the class. Nice one buddy!!
 
Thank you N.C. .. they are much more common North and west of my area.. not common at all close to me.... not commonly found anyway.
 
I find them with that twist on some here also. Bolen is one and the other is called Ecusta that I find. That one is bigger than the ones I find though, nice point.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom