Notka makro legend and xp deus 2

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading all these posts about the newest detectors puts one clear thought in my head....the BEST DETECTOR IN THE WORLD IS YOU. If you know your machine, and stick by it, using your wits about location, ground condition, gridding, sweep speed and more...you have tuned the best detector, your mind, into an added force with your machine. A lot of people bash Whites and not really impressed anymore with the V3i by example. Buy the other day I walked right behind someone who was using one of these new machines, and dug a shield nickel he missed. Whether it's operator error or machine, experience rules as much or more in this hobby !
Please do not change members' quotes, it violates our rules. I did not say " What is best for one, may not be the "best" for reading".

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do not change members' quotes, it violates our rules. I did not say " What is best for one, may not be the "best" for reading".
I in no way was changing anyone's quote. I simply made my own observations about the subject at hand

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reading all these posts about the newest detectors puts one clear thought in my head....the BEST DETECTOR IN THE WORLD IS YOU. If you know your machine, and stick by it, using your wits about location, ground condition, gridding, sweep speed and more...you have tuned the best detector, your mind, into an added force with your machine. A lot of people bash Whites and not really impressed anymore with the V3i by example. Buy the other day I walked right behind someone who was using one of these new machines, and dug a shield nickel he missed. Whether it's operator error or machine, experience rules as much or more in this hobby !
Not sure how long you've been swinging a detector, but I hear what you're saying.
I've watched others detect, and I go WOW! No wonder they only find the large items.
Swinging it like a golf club, or just the heal of the coil is detecting.
Trying to cover acreage as if the targets are going to run away and hide, so they have that need to rush to catch them all.
I figure I know my machine pretty good after a 1000 hrs, up till then I get the surprises regularly.
Bless the 50-100 hr folks as they have an ability of figuring it all out in short order.
Next machine on the want list seems to be some folk's thing.
The shield nickel-could be that their machine isn't picking them up, a wide swing-forgetting to over lap a tad.
They dug a target, set the machine down started to detect a foot ahead again-even a few inches can be a miss.
I got my only gold coin right beside a bunch of holes that were dug earlier that afternoon. Some were my own because I know how I filled in my digs.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I in no way was changing anyone's quote. I simply made my own observations about the subject at hand
You changed my post, I did not say "may not be the best for reading",

I said "A belief in what is "the best" is a personal opinion. What is best for one, may not be the "best" for someone else.

Below is a copy of the post you made quoting me.
276232158_481732223735254_8680447071843476516_n.jpg

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You changed my post, I did not say "may not be the best for reading",

I said "A belief in what is "the best" is a personal opinion. What is best for one, may not be the "best" for someone else.

Below is a copy of the post you made quoting me.
276232158_481732223735254_8680447071843476516_n.jpg
Hello, am not sure what quoting is...I made a reply to the all the general postings here. Yours was at the end of the line, so I replied to it. I in no way meant offense or was changing what anyone was saying. I totally agree with your statement that what is best for someone, may not be the best for someone else. My dad used to say that too:)

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello, am not sure what quoting is...I made a reply to the all the general postings here. Yours was at the end of the line, so I replied to it. I in no way meant offense or was changing what anyone was saying. I totally agree with your statement that what is best for someone, may not be the best for someone else. My dad used to say that too:)
Question: Did you copy and paste Treasure_Hunters post?
Or did you hit the -Quote reply option in the bottom right hand corner of post?

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question: Did you copy and paste Treasure_Hunters post?
Or did you hit the -Quote reply option in the bottom right hand corner of post?
I did not copy or paste. Just hit reply button. Not sure what is going on here...am backing out of this. Good luck to all parties involved in detecting !

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how long you've been swinging a detector, but I hear what you're saying.
I've watched others detect, and I go WOW! No wonder they only find the large items.
Swinging it like a golf club, or just the heal of the coil is detecting.
Trying to cover acreage as if the targets are going to run away and hide, so they have that need to rush to catch them all.
I figure I know my machine pretty good after a 1000 hrs, up till then I get the surprises regularly.
Bless the 50-100 hr folks as they have an ability of figuring it all out in short order.
Next machine on the want list seems to be some folk's thing.
The shield nickel-could be that their machine isn't picking them up, a wide swing-forgetting to over lap a tad.
They dug a target, set the machine down started to detect a foot ahead again-even a few inches can be a miss.
I got my only gold coin right beside a bunch of holes that were dug earlier that afternoon. Some were my own because I know how I filled in my digs.
Been detecting about 13 years, too many hours lol but worth every one if you know what I mean. I hear ya about folks swinging too fast, like it's a race. The slow turtle wins the race most of the time. Slow swings brings out the small signals...it should be an enjoying hobby with patience and fun. Nebraska has a lot to offer in terms of finds, I mean it's not like the East coast where it's all 300 years old plus, but we can dig things back to say 1830s.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I did not copy or paste. Just hit reply button. Not sure what is going on here...am backing out of this. Good luck to all parties involved in detecting !
I thought maybe if it was a copy/paste an auto correct came into play.
Even if a person has a sentence structure/grammer option/app it can do things without noticing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you did not intentionally change my post then don't worry about it, we have had problems in past with a few members changing someone's words in their quotes causing problems, that is why I asked please don't change quotes.

Don't know what caused it but, since you say you didn't intentionally change it we can just let it slide, don't let it keep you from posting...:headbang:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been detecting about 13 years, too many hours lol but worth every one if you know what I mean. I hear ya about folks swinging too fast, like it's a race. The slow turtle wins the race most of the time. Slow swings brings out the small signals...it should be an enjoying hobby with patience and fun. Nebraska has a lot to offer in terms of finds, I mean it's not like the East coast where it's all 300 years old plus, but we can dig things back to say 1830s.
Good stuff
True about the speed, I find even after 50+ sometimes I get moving too fast. Lol

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff
True about the speed, I find even after 50+ sometimes I get moving too fast.

Good stuff
True about the speed, I find even after 50+ sometimes I get moving too fast. Lol
It's the thrill of the hunt...another aspect of this hobby is the good exercise we get. I am 55 going on 30 when on a good site !

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's the thrill of the hunt...another aspect of this hobby is the good exercise we get. I am 55 going on 30 when on a good site !
It's amazing one can be dragging the arse around, thirsty, arms are falling off, back has knives thrown into it. Then one can dig up something great and it's a miracle cure, refreshed, no pain, alive, saliva flying, it works for me. :laughing7:

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing one can be dragging the arse around, thirsty, arms are falling off, back has knives thrown into it. Then one can dig up something great and it's a miracle cure, refreshed, no pain, alive, saliva flying, it works for me. :laughing7:
Exactly !

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm a paid shill. You want to compare a $660.00 machine to a $1,600.00 machine be my guest. Now comparing the Equinox 800, to the Legend, is fair. Not only does the legend cost hundreds less, it offers more features. I have fallen in love with mine already and I have barely got enough time on it to learn the basics.

If Terry says it I believe it and my Legend just arrived today. Just joking, but I do respect your opinion. I have needed a new detector for the last couple years since my Xterra has some issues that I didn’t want to spend money to repair. After reading about the Legend and watching all the Youtube videos, it just felt like a better fit for me than the Equinox.

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend you check out DirtFishing youtube channel. He has been using the Legend and has videos on lots of other machines. Seems he does not like the VDI for coinshooting (Pennies* & Dimes are too close and vdi jumps) also seems like he has had some issue's pinpointing even with the latest update. In fairness the Legend may not have been designed with the coin-shooter strictly in mind but I"m not overly impressed as I personally don't have the time or energy to hunt in the same way Paystreak does. I usually only have a couple hours so I have to be a little more selective in what I dig.

Paystreak just posted a video that he is struggling with the Deus II since the latest "large # display" update and his machine is really chatty. - I'm not sure whats going on there but I hope it gets resolved soon. Calabash you may want to talk to your buddy there as I'm interested in seeing how Deus fixes that issue? I would have like to seen him switch to a single freq. to see if that emi ? issue went away. I do like the larger # display though as that is what I am used to on the ORX.

** I think Paystreak should have a disclaimer on his videos that he can get by with a sweep speed that fast because he has thousands of hours metal detecting and his ears are very much in tune with the tones ;)

MetalDetectingNYC aka Merrill has a live stream tonight so looking forward to what he thinks of the Legend coming form his Nox. I believe he has the Deus II coming as well.

- On the topic of the Deus II just keep in mind that the Deus I still gets the job done and can be bought used for <$700.

For now I'm using an Etrac I bought used for $600 in the parks and my ORX in fields and old home sites - I think I could probably migrate to 1 machine and that could be the Legend or Deus 2 or even a Vanquish if I wanted to, but I'm in the wait and see camp as well. ** I do not hunt on wet sand, dive, or even hunt much in the rain so I can factor that in when buying a new machine for myself.

Good Luck 49er and I"m curious to know what you decide works best for you.
I updated both of my machines to the latest and no problems...I talked to MetalDetectingnyc last night he had a coil problem and he updated his unit and it fixed it. I knew Paystreak said he was having issues after update..IMO I think he needs to update again..

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all calabash I’ve said numerous time your knowledge is very helpful to the forum, let’s this be clear, I’m not attacking you, many folks well some receive metal detecting equipment not just you that has no significance in my buying decision Please my point is your hyping this machine up to the point this darn thing can fly. If your the intellegend person I think you are, I ask one thing from you in specific why because you seem front and center more than any other posting xp deus 2 machine On your YouTube channel. PLEASE READ THIS SIR, SHOW US THE EPIC AND BANNER FINDS THAT YOU AND WE HAVE BEEN MISSING FOR YEARS, IM ALOUD MY OPINIONS TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH IM NOT CALLING YOU DUMB or STUPID IVE GIVEN YOU CREDIT, you seem to be so focused on defending something on a personal level and seems so disturbing at times.. this machine could cost 5000 dollars and could be worth it, Just show us the epic and banner finds this summer, oh and if you do guess what you will be doing that company a big favor in more sales. Good luck but your in my opinion defending something that simply hasn’t proven it’s worth yet. Have a good day, god bless.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for those detectorist out there I’ve never claimed any notka makro detector was better than xp deus 1 or 2. We have to many people we’ll certainly a few that should focus on the opportunity that the xp deus offers , go get those finds I hope the heck you find something that equals or better yet epic, the hyping of this machine I’m thinking this thing can fly, lol. Justify the the finds with the cost and I will say good job and it’s value is underrated. Simply said. We as hobbiest want folks to find stuff, I’m not jealous I’m hopeful, we all have missed stuff no shame it that, god bless

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for those detectorist out there I’ve never claimed any notka makro detector was better than xp deus 1 or 2. We have to many people we’ll certainly a few that should focus on the opportunity that the xp deus offers , go get those finds I hope the heck you find something that equals or better yet epic, the hyping of this machine I’m thinking this thing can fly, lol. Justify the the finds with the cost and I will say good job and it’s value is underrated. Simply said. We as hobbiest want folks to find stuff, I’m not jealous I’m hopeful, we all have missed stuff no shame it that, god bless
I don't think we can honestly judge a new machines worthiness by how many banner or epic finds it produces. Most often those are found by pure luck. I have read about newbies with an Ace 250 finding a gold coin. Better to judge a new machine by how many new finds one can pull out of a field that has been pounded. Seperation and recovery. A banner find is subjective...a mercury dime found by a newbie is banner in their eyes.
A lot of my friends ( am 55 ) spend 30 grand on a new boat or 2 grand on a rifle. I don't see 1600 bucks as a lot of money in today's world spent on any hobby

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I agree and how do we no the exact spot we search, it’s so hard considering the coil is size of dish, but ok find what we missed for 1600.00, u no it’s nobody’s fault how and why notka can make the simplex and legend this cheap,maybe they should consider that as well. Nothing made in America so, oh I’m sorry the price with minelab is because of stockholders, notka one man show or 2, xp deus probably the same. So notka keeps price low because they can the others want more money for themselves, very simple. Regardless the price alone with performance nothing beat notka simple and legend cant

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread