Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now it does have some positive points..Silver tone is really nice and it done well at the old homesite on the coins in the 8 inch or less range...I D was solid too....Its the best all around 600 detector made......BUT people need to know it is not a EQUINOX equal in raw performance... Build quality is way better on the Legend...
I am not trying to say the Legend is no good I am just trying to show that the marketing hyped this machine to be a Equinox equal and it is not...AT this time maybe a update will help it..

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why does this thread look like I've seen it before? Different machine and different forum , but the same ole,same ole.. Glad to see Makro is actually charging people and not just giving away a good machine.
If you are using a AT PRO and F75 the Legend will be a upgrade for you...

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As some have mentioned, its all about location. My Bounty Hunter 202 has found some stellar artifacts and coins. You could swing a $5000 'hedge-mo-fartmaster' and come up short in a bottle cap/pull tab nightmare.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I’m hoping they give updates to rectify the current issues of concern. John I buy my equipment from Bart in Oklahoma he seems pretty good. Even if I had unlimited funds I’m still hesitant on what to buy, what the heck happened to that ctx machine, I’m hearing that machine short lived on the menu, certainly way to much and other reasons, look xp deus doesn’t have much competition if any, minelab was the big wig but there inconsistencies are troubling And is 900.00, even with my military discount I don’t want it. Look here in pa iron is here, however we find silverrosies, Mercury, barber, we find relics to buttons, harmonica reads, nice glass pieces, large cents

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Performance wise, the Equinox as first developed/released was not the equal to the current Equinox on the market today. Minelab made their machine better by updating it over the years it has been available.

Deuce II owners are all but assured that there will be updates coming for their machine: making it a better performer than it currently is.

I would venture that most people believe it a positive when their metal detector has the potential of improving performance via an update of the software.

NM has openly stated their intent to provide updates that will make the Legend a more capable machine. In fact, two such updates (iron bias and saltwater issues) are slated for the very near term (as in weeks).

Fair or not, people are going to compare metal detectors - even in those examples where there is a fairly large difference in price. NM clearly targeted the market SMF sales leader in developing the Legend - as would any company that was serious about competing in the segment.

Differences in retail pricing do not necessarily hinge upon differences in quality - performance or otherwise. Build quality is an example that refutes the belief that paying more automatically equates into getting more. It is quite clear that the vast majority of people, who have handled both the Equinox and the Legend, find the Legend to be of superior build quality. At $635 (stated retail for the Legend) the Legend is $364 less than the Equinox 800 (stated retail of $999). That's a lot of extra clams for a machine that isn't built as well.

It is very early in the game. Minelab has had several years of updating the Equinox, while NM is just getting to the point where the Legend is widely available, and it (the Legend) has had only 1 update thus far.

I have no doubt that Minelab could further update the Equinox (if it chooses to) and make it perform even better than it does. But there is a big difference between could and will - and at this point it seems more likely that Minelab will choose to put performance improvements in a new model.

There is zero doubt that NM will be providing updates that improve the performance of the Legend.

I own a Legend (pro pack). I also own an Equinox 800.

In my opinion the Legend is, by far, the better built machine. As things stand currently, with only 1 update for the Legend, I find the Legend to be the better performer in dirt. I think the Legend is better in modern trash and in iron trash.

That's not saying the Equinox isn't an excellent performer; I just find the Legend to be the better performer (of the two).

The reverse is the case with saltwater hunting. There I find the Equinox to be the better performer.

It's very early though. Things can change and coming updates (for either machine) could well be the difference from a performance standpoint.

I don't think the question should be "Can NM equal or better the performance of the Equinox"? I think NM already has with a few exceptions, and those exceptions are being addressed.

I think the question should be "Why does Minelab charge $364 more for a machine that isn't built nearly as well as the Legend"?

As for the Deuce II..

It appears to be an amazing machine. To me its closest competitor is the original Deuce, but outside of saltwater hunting I am not convinced that the performance differences justify the hefty price difference. To be perfectly fair about it, I'm not sure the price difference is justified by the performance differences over the Equinox or the Legend.

Maybe I'd view it differently if I did a lot more saltwater hunting?

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK ! I am gonna say it again...Deus II best all around detector EVER made...You know you guys are attacking my integrity by saying I am shilling because they sent me a unit to test! I bought another unit out of my pocket....What does that tell you? What detector do you see me using for all my needs? What does that tell you? BTW I bought the Legend too......As you see it is short will side by side with the Deus II.....as it should be it is 600 bucks!

IS IT TO MUCH THINK THAT I MIGHT JUST BE TELLING THE TRUTH ABOUT THE DEUS II ????????

BEST ALL AROUND DETECTOR EVER MADE BY FAR!

So you guys want to watch my videos but you dont think my time is worth anything??? I talk to Paystreak weekly......

CONCLUSION Calabash got a so called free detector and NO WAY could he be telling the truth......It turned him into a shill overnight!!!!!

It you add my time up I more than likely paid 4 grand for the so called free unit...
Can I ask you a serious question, why are you so critical of the notka makro product, it may not be the best but certainly not the worst, if it where a complete disaster then I understand, however you can choose not to be a user and xp deus is currently your machine of choice which is great, I’m hoping you show us something that will blow us away, because then nothing else would matter. I’m for the best but this in many minds isn’t a jump from a Yugo to a corvette, John there comes a time when price supports the performance in anything not because of its potential but it’s the truth as you state. It’s not a matter of well personally we don’t like it, thousands will be sold even after the shitty marketin. I want all companies to succeed, competition makes ever step up, that’s a good thing right, good luck

JCinPC

Greenie
Jul 18, 2017
Lower Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Differences in retail pricing do not necessarily hinge upon differences in quality - performance or otherwise. Build quality is an example that refutes the belief that paying more automatically equates into getting more. It is quite clear that the vast majority of people, who have handled both the Equinox and the Legend, find the Legend to be of superior build quality. At $635 (stated retail for the Legend) the Legend is $364 less than the Equinox 800 (stated retail of $999). That's a lot of extra clams for a machine that isn't built as well.
Based on a few facts, and an opinion based on pure speculation, I suspect I think I can explain at least some of the extra clams. Manufacturer A develops an idea, and spends more time and money into reasearch and development, maybe longer than Manufacturer B has been in existence. Manufacturer B builds on, or maybe even reverse engineers (speculation) Manufacturer A’s ideas. Saving on much time and certainly much money, Manufacturer B uses time and fortune saved, towards better build quality, such that the stronger coil ears, bullet proof control box and shaft are worthy of being kicked across a yard, yielding no harm. Bonus: no tool remanufacturing for the stronger coil ears. And this is just the tip of the clam pile. Overhead, employees, marketing, on and on and on…still think $365 clams more per unit is too much? Well maybe yes, maybe no.
For my type of hunting, (mild dirt, beaches, water, and typically, low EMI), based on what I’m seeing, I’m happy to have paid less than $1 per day for 365 days for my lesser build quality detector. In the salt water, one is a proven beach machine, the other is just “meh”. How would you price “meh” in clams? Even today, and given a choice, as things stand, I’d probably still select an Equinox 600 over it’s budget priced competition. Even with it’s inherent flaws, the Equinox has tens of thousands of hours of proven record. I know it leaks, I know coils break, and there are complaints about the shaft. Thankfully, these claims are unfounded for my particular machine. I snorkel with it, I’m in the surf with it, and I‘ve been lucky. Zero problems since I’ve had it. To me, the $365 extra clams are absolutely worth it. Happily, my money went to the company that brought SMF into existence. Some love it, others can’t stand it. Buy cheap, buy twice, buy once, cry once. Not set in stone, but going in as informed as I can, it’s served me well. Reliability (build quality), performance, or low cost. You can only have two of those three. Clams are relative my friend.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we should stop trying to compare metal detector companies, why listen , you might like a ford, she likes a Chevy, and he like a Honda. Any particular item you buy must be judge by price and performance, not rocket science. Let’s just start recently example, this machine called the simplex, regardless of who manufactures it, simply blew folks away price and performance I’m not sure how much they made off the unit but why do we care, we the owners purchased a very nice quality build and performance machine at a rediculous price, facts let’s not argue over that. Correct me if I’m wrong sorry to say I am I’m human, minelab for the better part of 20 years where onlycompany to make multiple frequencies machine then it ran out, and now everyone makes multi frequency machines. Let’s talk about ctx 3000 there’s no way that machine is worth 2 or 3 thousand dollar, so John I’m not picking on xp deus. The fact of the matter it’s not about if we could all afford it, 1600.00 is relatively high, you mean to tell me putting wireless technology aside, you mean to tell me the xp deus is worth more than 700.00 dollars than mine 800. Calm down breathe, where are we going with this is simply isn’t justifIable , even hardcore detectorist would agree. Look we are talking very simply things, depth, separation in iron etc. I just folks would be open minded.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is worth 700 more...Open minded to what? I want the best detector for iron, separation , and depth I can get....Deus II by far is the best for these task...
I am open minded let something better come out next week from whoever and I will be swinging it...
I am not just typing my opinions ....I am typing results I have found from test and in the field use....

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got a Bounty Hunter 202 that finds good stuff. We can all agree (hopefully) that we are out getting exercise and having the most excellent camaraderie that a hobby can offer. Although I've been banned here, it's a neat place to share all sorts of things (as long as the rules are followed). I do enjoy the Forum saber rattling, its what keeps the hobby and manufacturing engineers sharp:) You guys rock! Deus, Legend, 800, Bounty Hunter, ... all have their 'sweet-spots'. Location trumps Brand. A $2000 'Hedge-mo-fartmaster' with an atomic coil and Periodic Table identifier won't find a thing that isn't there. I'd like to see more beach/wet/dry sand demonstrations. I have a lot to learn from you guys.

Peterw

Aug 9, 2015
Blairsville Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of speculation on what’s best.. That is user opinionated,,and can’t be fact checked by a worn out test bed..Lots of different wants and needs. I have a Deus 1 and although I like it I know it’s not the best for coin hunting..And I suspect the Deus 2 isn’t either.. I’ve said before the Xp brand makes the best relic machines in my opinion, Minelab makes the best coin machines..Just my opinion,but the masses seem to agree..I understand why calabash thinks the Deus 2 is the best thing ever made,,for him and his style of hunting. . But thats not what’s best for me,as a coinhunter I use them all but the best is a Etrac,it’s the only true coin machine imo.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is worth 700 more...Open minded to what? I want the best detector for iron, separation , and depth I can get....Deus II by far is the best for these task...
I am open minded let something better come out next week from whoever and I will be swinging it...
I am not just typing my opinions ....I am typing results I have found from test and in the field use....
John I appreciate your love of the hobby, you do put a lot of time and hours into the totality of this hobby , oh and without being arrogant it does help, all that being said we shouldn’t expect anything in return payment or likes, the payment we get is helping all others and I’m sure you do but sometimes you leave a sense to your choice of words your expecting more of what recognition, your getting that, good job , your a busy restaurant person great, i have passion to but I’m older than you, Father Time don’t care, I can without any health problems get out yesterday first time out in 2 months I found a silver dime, hey lucky, fortunate so be it. Your in a better location than my area which I can’t travel far left or right. I’m always anxious to see your finds and all others, I took basic training in fort Jackson, s.c, and fort Gordon, ga, way back southern hospitality I hope it’s still nice. Point is since you believe so highly in your xp deus 2, do me and everyone else a favor, put that machine to task, get the most out of it, bring the finds home and put us in awe. maybe you should contact a company and be a tester, I’m not concerned about anything but honest performance to educate us all, good luck

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Maybe we should stop trying to compare metal detector companies, why listen , you might like a ford, she likes a Chevy, and he like a Honda. Any particular item you buy must be judge by price and performance, not rocket science. Let’s just start recently example, this machine called the simplex, regardless of who manufactures it, simply blew folks away price and performance I’m not sure how much they made off the unit but why do we care, we the owners purchased a very nice quality build and performance machine at a rediculous price, facts let’s not argue over that. Correct me if I’m wrong sorry to say I am I’m human, minelab for the better part of 20 years where onlycompany to make multiple frequencies machine then it ran out, and now everyone makes multi frequency machines. Let’s talk about ctx 3000 there’s no way that machine is worth 2 or 3 thousand dollar, so John I’m not picking on xp deus. The fact of the matter it’s not about if we could all afford it, 1600.00 is relatively high, you mean to tell me putting wireless technology aside, you mean to tell me the xp deus is worth more than 700.00 dollars than mine 800. Calm down breathe, where are we going with this is simply isn’t justifIable , even hardcore detectorist would agree. Look we are talking very simply things, depth, separation in iron etc. I just folks would be open minded.
I'm sure you've operated the Explorer versions to justify the claims. Explorer/SE/ETrac/3030. From putting 1000's of hrs on these machines there was a difference, yet a lot of the same.
Separation and depth, tests were done showing what these machine could do and what they couldn't do for finding targets (England soils/finds)
Net result was the 3030 for depth and picking up the small items at great depths.
ETrac to the 3030 I would say yes, but take some of the BS features out of the programming as GEO Caching-useless, but useful for some that wanted to pinpoint previous recoveries.
I thought it would be ALOT better machine-not

Minelab has failed in construction quality ears/leakage machines just going down for no reason (programming)
Yet the true followers over look the issues and carry on, over looking the issues as a minor issue.
The 800 seems to have more than what I would want to have in the stable, not that the machine performs it's the warranty issues and the hassles of sending in a unit.

A $700 machine will perform well-cut out the BS, strip down the labour costs, build a better constructed machine and that's proof that one higher model has put the $$$ profit in the pocket.
The brain of the machine might be another answer, the R&D that goes into the unit costs $$$.

In the end the sites that are hunted yearly, and the finds that we all can achieve is what counts.

The $700 produces 10 keepers, the $1000 or the $1500 produces 12 keepers.
So lets justify this 2 keeper for the $$$ spent.
10 sites = 20 extra keepers
Return hunts will be a gradual steady decline of recoveries for both high end and mid range machines.
3 return hunts x 10 sites = 15 extra keepers
So at the end of the season we have a 35 keeper difference-Does that justify the extra $$$
Lifespan of machine 5 yr x 35 = 175 extra keepers for the extra $$$

Now that is some thoughts on justifying the high over the mid range machines.
Time is worth more than the $$$ spent on the machine.
The time spent detecting is worth every dollar spent on the machine.
From the first machines ever bought to the latest model bought have been on the upper end of $$$ spectrum.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of speculation on what’s best.. That is user opinionated,,and can’t be fact checked by a worn out test bed..Lots of different wants and needs. I have a Deus 1 and although I like it I know it’s not the best for coin hunting..And I suspect the Deus 2 isn’t either.. I’ve said before the Xp brand makes the best relic machines in my opinion, Minelab makes the best coin machines..Just my opinion,but the masses seem to agree..I understand why calabash thinks the Deus 2 is the best thing ever made,,for him and his style of hunting. . But thats not what’s best for me,as a coinhunter I use them all but the best is a Etrac,it’s the only true coin machine imo.
I agree Minelab has always made the best coin machines......Minelab also has always made the best BEACH machines....Here is a video to answer some of your questions...

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a video to address some of the concerns in this thread...

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then sometimes it’s just about the smaller stuff. One reason I went for the Legend over the Equinox was the rod connectors. More adjustibility and latches instead of twist locks. Get a little sand or grit and those twist locks can be darn near impossible to open and if you can’t break your detector down it’s tough to fit it in a suitcase.

But to add to this discussion, whether I buy a $2K or $600 machine, I don’t need to justify it , explain it or prove it through finds.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Will the Legend equal a Equinox?
I got plenty of video proof on that subject too...

Umm, you are selling the Legend before its second update (Saltwater), so how on earth do you have "plenty" of video proof on something that hasn't happened yet. You have less than what, 10-hours on the machine? I think I'm a genius, but c'mon man? Who are we kidding here besides you and me? 480086_1994328113917_918559783_n.jpg

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am selling the LEGEND because the DEUS II is so superior to it and the Equinox.....Same reason I sold my Equinox......
You are the one sponsored by NOKTA Makro so if you are so eager to say its equal to or better than the Equinox get yourself a GO PRO and a Equinox and go to work showing what I said not to be true.....
I will be waiting on the videos of the LEGEND laying the smack down on the EQUINOX...:laughing7:

It dont take no genius TERRY to figure out the thing is not EQUAL to the NOX in performance.....
Now I am not saying its a bad detector....I am JUST SAYING the big claims about it being a NOX equal in performance are not true...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread