What's new

Ohio, Close up, far away, and need an ID

WannaDig3687

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2017
Messages
23,801
Reaction score
112,451
Golden Thread
0
Location
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent the evening with Mr. & Mrs. BuckIdgr. I could not get any photos of all the birds we heard singing, so we went for a walk. I was able to get a closeup shot of a little flower that didn't turn out too bad. I also got a shot of the moon, and one of a little Buckeye tree. We came across a deer print, but there is a little print right by it that I would like an ID, if you can. I have it circled in white.

DSCN1325-2.webp

DSCN1335-2.webp


DSCN1331-3.webp


DSCN1330-3.webp



Thanks for looking!

~Sis
 
I spent the evening with Mr. & Mrs. BuckIdgr. I could not get any photos of all the birds we heard singing, so we went for a walk. I was able to get a closeup shot of a little flower that didn't turn out too bad. I also got a shot of the moon, and one of a little Buckeye tree. We came across a deer print, but there is a little print right by it that I would like an ID, if you can. I have it circled in white.

View attachment 1582951

View attachment 1582949


View attachment 1582953


View attachment 1582952



Thanks for looking!

~Sis

Armadillo.
 
Nice pics. My camera balks at taking pics of the moon for some reason. I mean, I get ok pics but not nearly that sharp.
 
You're getting better Sis,that second to last pic looks an awful lot like Cannabis.

GOD Bless

Chris
 
Looks like armadillo or a older worn deer track
 
You're getting better Sis,that second to last pic looks an awful lot like Cannabis.

GOD Bless

Chris

I think its lupine? beautiful flowers, not nice to smoke like cannabis
 
Hmmmmm...yep, that sure does look like some wild growing MJ..
Better keep an eye on it...it'll be ready by about Sept. Hungry_plant_zpsvhocp62a.gif

As for the tracks, I *think* what you have there is a doe with a
small fawn. Little ones have sharp edges to their hooves.

Nicely done on the Moon capture..

DSCN1335-2-2-2.webp
 
Last edited:
Plant stem is wrong for hooter. Clumpy stem growth without pruning too , it looks like ragweed.

Anywho , the two toenail marks could be fox ,but would be having trouble with footing . It is soft earth though.....
My first guess would be rabbit. They tend to have two toes forward. ( I wore dual scars awhile from a domestic.)

IF an elongated ,flat tapered towards rear( away from toe marks) track is behind those marks it is racoon.
Most wild canines have shorter nails than track shows. With a fox usually light on their feet leaving tracks that look more like a cat.
More of a track than pictured would be expected from a coyote on that soft soil.

Nice pics!
 
Last edited:
I had an expert from Josh Gates team analyze the pic its inconclusive but he would say there is a chance there is some prehistoric animal in the woods in Ohio.
 
The Track is the front foot of an Armadillo, most likely a 9 Banded, and the Plant is a Red Buckeye, hands down.
 
Yellow Buckeye. I had id on computer but I’m on phone and can’t see well enough. Either way all buckeyes are highly toxic. Best know your plant before you try and smoke it . 😂

there aren’t any armadillos in Ohio, well, unless it’s been relocated. We were thinking maybe a fawn but wasn’t sure.

It it took me 10-15 tries to get the moon.

thanks everyone. I need a smile or two!
 
I thought fawn behind mother for the track.

Super nice moon shot!
 
Never heard of a "Buckeye" plant, but if you were growing that
out here on the West Coast you'd want to put a sign on it identifying
it for what it really is. Otherwise, with those very MJ looking leaves
it's gonna get swiped. moose.gif

I had thought about other critters for the track. Problem I have with
Armadillo is that they have short legs, and that's just a single track.
If a 'Dillo there should be other tracks very close, so whatever made it
had a longer stride.
 
Last edited:
Your gonna get hooked on running around with that camera.
 
Plant stem is wrong for hooter. Clumpy stem growth without pruning too , it looks like ragweed.

Anywho , the two toenail marks could be fox ,but would be having trouble with footing . It is soft earth though.....
My first guess would be rabbit. They tend to have two toes forward. ( I wore dual scars awhile from a domestic.)

IF an elongated ,flat tapered towards rear( away from toe marks) track is behind those marks it is racoon.
Most wild canines have shorter nails than track shows. With a fox usually light on their feet leaving tracks that look more like a cat.
More of a track than pictured would be expected from a coyote on that soft soil.

Nice pics!

Sorry, I didn't see all of this. I need a bigger phone or trifocals. :tongue3: Will look for more tracks.
 
You're catching on Sis..it's composition.

That is a NICE shot girl.


GOD Bless

Chris
 
You're catching on Sis..it's composition.

That is a NICE shot girl.


GOD Bless

Chris

I went back and read it again,just got a bit ahead of my self..but you'll get there,just recall composition.
 
I was going to say... that's not my pic. :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom