What's new

Oil lamp-What went to it ?

mojjax

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
4,564
Reaction score
4,092
Golden Thread
0
Location
MAINE
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like something twist-locked on to the top . The glass is permanently attached to the tin holder . The glass has bubbles in it , and the seam on the glass disappears before the shoulder (like on old bottles)

there are no maker's marks

Any ideas what this went to ? Thanks for any info !
 

Attachments

  • Picture%20001.webp
    Picture%20001.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 415
  • Picture%20004%20(3).webp
    Picture%20004%20(3).webp
    55.6 KB · Views: 406
  • Picture%20007%20(2).webp
    Picture%20007%20(2).webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 418
Obviously something attached to the top of it because of the slots I see in the sides. Perhaps a lamp of some sort? Monty
 
Upvote 0
lumbercamp said:
It's an alcohol lamp.

Good Call :thumbsup:
But what are the slots for?
 
Upvote 0
Goodyguy said:
lumbercamp said:
It's an alcohol lamp.

Good Call :thumbsup:
But what are the slots for?
The slots were for a globe or a small stove gtate. Some alcohol burners could be used either way. Tony
 
Upvote 0
it is a brass turkish coffee maker similar to this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brass-Turkish-Coffee-Maker-alcohol-burner-pot-ibrik_W0QQitemZ200257056274QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item200257056274&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
 
Upvote 0
It looks very similar to an opium lamp as well.Its what they used to heat he opium to smoke it.
 
Upvote 0
I guess alcohol lamps had many uses? I remember having them in chemistry lab in high school when low heat was needed for an experiment. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Monty said:
I guess alcohol lamps had many uses? I remember having them in chemistry lab in high school when low heat was needed for an experiment. Monty
:o So that's what happened to that old lab ;D ;D. Tony
 
Upvote 0
I have seen lamps with that type of wick holder on it and they used whale oil in them. The glass has tons of whittle in it and was hand blown. It might be early 1800's or a little earlier than that. The top part might of been secured to the wall and after you lit it you would lock the bottom into it. If it was found in Maine it could be a whale oil lamp and might of even been used on a ship. It's something look into because that glass looks super old.

Wolverine.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • opium lamp.webp
    opium lamp.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
Yea I am pretty sure that is what it is.They often used whale oil in them as well.They are extremely hard to come by,especially with the glass.Do you want to sell it??
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom