What's new

Ok looks like were going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

47thelement

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2009
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
161
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

KEEP YOUR SHARPIES TO YOURSELF!!!!!

I just got done with 2 boxes and I felt like I was watching election coverage again.

First box 80% of the clad had blue rims

Second box 60% of the clad had red rims
 

Attachments

  • SDC11460.webp
    SDC11460.webp
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,051
Upvote 0
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

I get that in my area all of the time. I have seen a ton of people doing red and green lines here in california.
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

I get a bunch with red fingernail polish on them! drives me nuts
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

Hey, Piercesdad!! Hey, Wirebender!!
I was also getting a lot of rolls heavily-marked in red and green on the edges a few months ago. Been seeing them again just lately. Highly annoying!!!
- Grizz
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

Yes, I think it's a very inconsiderate habit - especially considering that you may be marking a coin that has no value to you - but in the meantime destroying a coin that would have otherwise had great value to someone else's collection. It may not be silver, but it could have numismatic value beyond what you're interested in (or aware of). Or, it could be the one coin that someone was looking for to complete their Dansco album, but because it's marked it has now lost its value. I agree - keep the marks to yourself.
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

Here in Chicago I would get a ton of halfs with a date writen with a black or blue or red sharpe rigt across the face. I hate seeing that crap!!!!! >:(
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

Hey treasurefiend, like the new avatar. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put a black dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

davew0710 said:
You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put sablack dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho
So, you mean that you are searching non-sealed boxes of someone's dumps? ffd
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

Another one that I got a ton of was someone would use a purple marker and put a solid box right over the date...... >:(
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

Fistfulladirt said:
davew0710 said:
You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put sablack dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho
So, you mean that you are searching non-sealed boxes of someone's dumps? ffd

NOPE...sealed boxes and getting silver out of them.
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

davew0710 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
davew0710 said:
You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put sablack dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho
So, you mean that you are searching non-sealed boxes of someone's dumps? ffd

NOPE...sealed boxes and getting silver out of them.
You may not be aware of this, but some crh'ers mark clad coin, dump them, then silver gets into the mix before they are machine-rolled and then boxed. Not sure how you know this is not a crh'er marking these coins, unless i'm missing something.
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

Fistfulladirt said:
davew0710 said:
Fistfulladirt said:
davew0710 said:
You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put sablack dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho
So, you mean that you are searching non-sealed boxes of someone's dumps? ffd

NOPE...sealed boxes and getting silver out of them.
You may not be aware of this, but some crh'ers mark clad coin, dump them, then silver gets into the mix before they are machine-rolled and then boxed. Not sure how you know this is not a crh'er marking these coins, unless i'm missing something.

really don'y know who or why....but don't care since it doesn't affect my silver average
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

davew0710 said:
You don't get the Kennedy's with the dirty ear? Some nut in Pittsburgh has nothing better to do than put a black dot on Kennedy's ear. Not a CRH'er, cause I'm getting silver out of these boxes. Gotta winder tho


Probably is a CRHer. What happens at Brinks, and other courier companies, is that the coins are dumped into the "hopper" to be sorted and rolled. More than one bag of dumps get put in at the same time. So you might be getting the marker guy's coins along with a bag of machine coins where grandpa's coin collection was dumped.

It seems from my boxes that the dumps do stay pretty much together in the process though, because I can often see consistency throughout the box, such as the same CRHer mark may be on a large percentage of the coins, but sometimes there are some silver keepers mixed in.

If you are getting boxes in a locale where someone is CRHing 20+ boxes at a time, and he/she dumps the rejects at the same time at the same bank, you can see how it is possible for all of those to be sorted and rolled at the same time and thus produce a several skunk boxes which will be shipped out and the process starts over again.

PS While I have found some keepers in boxes with a lot of marked coins, all of my "dream" and "semi-dream" boxes have been virtually devoid of any marked coins.

Jim
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

the marker in my area uses a green sharpie and puts a line across the face ???
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

It seems to me that most of the movement of the halves in circulation could be done by CRH'ers. After all, how often do you get a half in change or even see any at the tellers window?
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

Thats why when ever I can I buy gas an any other quick items i need like fast food with them to disperse them. Plus i dont do the numbers most do.
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

I try to get rid of them anywhere I can. I love the look on people's faces and how fast they look for silver in my dumps :laughing7: :laughing7:

I often tell them that there is sense in keeping half dollars because the value of them is not worth the effort. I also make sure to mention that I'm a coin collector so I should know so If they have been holding on to halfs they should just dump them at the bank or give me a call. If you notice I never mention silver that would be misleading. If they dump the silver that is their fault.
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

i found a few this week where the %##@ marked the entire edge of the coins. this guy is a genius :sign13:. i'm guessing he is a rim checker and does this so he doesn't recheck his own dumps. now bear with me, if he looks at a coin to see if its silver and sees one of his marks, isn't he already rechecking his own dump :icon_scratch: ;D
 
Re: Ok looks like we're going to have to go over this AGAIN!!!

You mean you guys dont like my color coded coins? Should I just mark them all the same color next time, or just all black?
Anthony
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom