Ok...NOW Post Your Favorite Colonial Coin(s)!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Sep20_09fcoins.jpg
    Sep20_09fcoins.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,451
  • Sep20_09fcoins.jpg
    Sep20_09fcoins.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,437

Mike in Berks

Jun 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
4/DB Spectrum XLT DFX
Congrats !! to everyone on all those colonials :notworthy:
I've only been fortunate to dig 4 in 13 yrs. I hope someday i can dig some like i
see on this thread :o
Thought i'd show one of my favorites 1740 1/4 STUBER my only holed coin
If it was in VG condition $3.00 to me ..... priceless :icon_sunny:

http://www.treasurenet.com/treasures/askmarkparker/200211.htm

Scroll down to: And So Fourth good luck diggin !!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have a few "favorite" colonials.

A nice relatively corrosion free 1717 KGI. 1717KGI.JPG

The Rosa Americana is really in good shape considering they have a zinc content in them and usually do not hold up to well. 1751KGIIHalfpenny.jpg

The 1726 One Real Pistareen brought a smile to my face, a few years back. 1781IrishCombined.jpg

A few years back I tried a Tejon for a few months and this 2 Reale was my first coin find with the Tejon. Batty3826BDon2.jpg

A fairly decent KGII copper. 1717KGI.JPG

This counterfeit KGIII Irish will always be one of my favorites, the Obv side is much stronger than the Rev, but great detail on that Obv. 1722Rosa.jpg

My clipped planchet rare one, was the only colonial found at a site that yielded 2 1796 Liberty Cap Large Cents and one 1794 Half Cent. 1726OneReal.jpg

One of my State Coppers I like, my first NJ copper I found quite awhile ago. 1744Tejon.jpg

And my first Vermont Copper, a common variety but in nice shape. 1751KGIIHalfpenny.jpg

Oh what the heck, is here the first Colonial copper I ever found, and thanks to bow hunting, having an eye for looking for "Cape May diamonds" while walking on sandy roads, I eyeballed this KGII while going to my deer stand for an evening hunt back in 1979! Needless to say I had at the time a Heathkit detector and I was back at that site the following week and LOL, only got .22 bullet casings, but a detectorist was born that day!! It would be another 6 years till I actually found my first Colonial copper with a detector. 1781IrishCombined.jpg

Don

Attachments

• Batty3826BDon2.jpg
    Batty3826BDon2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,323
  • 1740KGIINumeroUno.jpg
    1740KGIINumeroUno.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,309
  • 1787njmaris43D3.jpg
    1787njmaris43D3.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,328
  • 1788VtBressett16S.jpg
    1788VtBressett16S.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,310

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great coins!!! I also have a pretty decent 1717, just a bit of corrosion I haven't got around to clean yet.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my one and only. Found in 2010

Attachments

• spanish silver 003.JPG
    spanish silver 003.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,173
  • spanish silver 001.JPG
    spanish silver 001.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,162
  • spanish silver 003.JPG
    spanish silver 003.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,173
  • spanish silver 001.JPG
    spanish silver 001.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,167

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello folks, I am new to this forum, but have been detecting since 1972 with my Dad, and now my son. About 5 years ago I dug this 1776 Continental Dollar ( Pewter ) I think. Never had it tested. They made 3 different types Silver, Brass, & Pewter. I also never sent it out, to make sure it's real. There are a few types made also. This one has the word CURENCY with a single R. I found it at a fort, and it was about 12 inches deep, with no ex ageration.....It broke into a few pieces unfortunately. Pewter doesn't hold up well after being in the earth that long. Attached are a couple of pictures of whats left of the coin. I have found a few other Colonials there over the years, I will dig them out and post them sometime.

Attachments

• DSCN1091.JPG
    DSCN1091.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 1,040
  • DSCN1087.JPG
    DSCN1087.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSCN1092.JPG
    DSCN1092.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,041

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
Does it matter what colony? haha ;D

Attachments

• Irish1863.JPG
    Irish1863.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,033
  • Irish1863rev.JPG
    Irish1863rev.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,022
  • Irish1863.JPG
    Irish1863.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,039
  • Irish1863rev.JPG
    Irish1863rev.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,024

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whydah said:
Hello folks, I am new to this forum, but have been detecting since 1972 with my Dad, and now my son. About 5 years ago I dug this 1776 Continental Dollar ( Pewter ) I think. Never had it tested. They made 3 different types Silver, Brass, & Pewter. I also never sent it out, to make sure it's real. There are a few types made also. This one has the word CURENCY with a single R. I found it at a fort, and it was about 12 inches deep, with no ex ageration.....It broke into a few pieces unfortunately. Pewter doesn't hold up well after being in the earth that long. Attached are a couple of pictures of whats left of the coin. I have found a few other Colonials there over the years, I will dig them out and post them sometime.

That is an awesome find in any condition! I've seen one or two posted over the years, but were modern reproductions. The edge loss of your coin, and color, and found deep at a fort, I think indicates it's probably the real deal. That is one super Colonial find.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
Whydah said:

That is an awesome find in any condition! I've seen one or two posted over the years, but were modern reproductions. The edge loss of your coin, and color, and found deep at a fort, I think indicates it's probably the real deal. That is one super Colonial find.

Agreed. That is one find you should be proud of!

Welcome to the forum!
Neil

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine a 1600s william the III farting no pic sorry :-[ :-[ I was looking at my grandfathers coins and I puuled a 1777 continental dollar
well my pops is a junkaholic if thats a word.-scottso

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
New Pictures of Continental " CURENCY " Dollar

OK, after testing my Continental Dollar today with my kit. I have made the best guess as possible. Seems that the coin that I have had for some time, and thought it was pewter, now seems to be SILVER..... OK this is getting crazier everyday. Now I am getting excited again about this coin. Is there anyone out there, that can help with this one. I have taken better pictures for all of you experts. Maybe it can be authenticated for me. I do realize that these coins, were reproduced quite often, but take this into account. Found on a Battle field, 12 inches deep, (no exaggeration) never any new dirt brought into this location. It broke into a few pieces when I found it. Just fell apart. Found on Cape Cod near Salt Water. Questions? What do I do next ? Thank You in advance.

Attachments

• Continental Dollar (5).JPG
    Continental Dollar (5).JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 916
  • Continental Dollar.JPG
    Continental Dollar.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 919
  • Continental Dollar (4).JPG
    Continental Dollar (4).JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 938
  • Continental Dollar (3).JPG
    Continental Dollar (3).JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 932
  • Continental Dollar (2).JPG
    Continental Dollar (2).JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 947

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm...... To be honest I don't know what to make of it because the condition isn't typical of silver or pewter. I hope that doesn't mean something in the middle. (modern repro crap) The pics are good so maybe Don can pass it on to people who have a little experience with them.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Picture is deceiving looks almost like it was pressed , but it is NOT .... It's just the way the piece has broken off. It was very close to Salt Water which made it very brittle.... I am hoping for the best.... We'll see.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whydah said:
Picture is deceiving looks almost like it was pressed , but it is NOT .... It's just the way the piece has broken off. It was very close to Salt Water which made it very brittle.... I am hoping for the best.... We'll see.

It's the dark green corrosion spots, and yellow, that gives me a bad feeling because I can't quite figure out what metal would react like that. A lot of times it's modern fakes that were of mixed metal, and plated. But we should definitely wait until it gets run by some good Colonial guys.

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Colonial Copper 1780' s is my guess

Went out this afternoon, trying to get my mind off of losing my best friend yesterday afternoon. ( MAX ) Thank all of you who really understand, what is is like to have had such a companion. Thank all of you for your condolences too. I think he was looking over me today... About 1 1/2 hours into the hunt and I had already found an 1885 Indian Head Penny, 21 Quarters 12 dimes, and quite a few pennies. I had been eying this small strip of grass close to a stone wall. Went over and got the hit I was looking for, 9 inches down and BANG a lovely Colonial Copper, unfortunately NO DATE. I will have to match it up in the Red Book to see when it was made. Any guesses? Thanks for looking...... Keep the coil to the soil.......

Attachments

• copper.JPG
    copper.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 888
  • copper (2).JPG
    copper (2).JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 874
  • copper (3).JPG
    copper (3).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 872

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Colonial Copper 1780' s is my guess

Whydah said:
Went out this afternoon, trying to get my mind off of losing my best friend yesterday afternoon. ( MAX ) Thank all of you who really understand, what is is like to have had such a companion. Thank all of you for your condolences too. I think he was looking over me today... About 1 1/2 hours into the hunt and I had already found an 1885 Indian Head Penny, 21 Quarters 12 dimes, and quite a few pennies. I had been eying this small strip of grass close to a stone wall. Went over and got the hit I was looking for, 9 inches down and BANG a lovely Colonial Copper, unfortunately NO DATE. I will have to match it up in the Red Book to see when it was made. Any guesses? Thanks for looking...... Keep the coil to the soil.......

Sorry to hear about max.

Halfpenny is George II - Young head, most dates are 1730s.

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive been metal detecting since i was 6 I have been coin collecting since i was 8 I'm almost 12, Ive studied coins my room is filled with books on coins and just plain old coins so I know what I'm doing. >:( >:(

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scottso said:
Ive been metal detecting since i was 6 I have been coin collecting since i was 8 I'm almost 12, Ive studied coins my room is filled with books on coins and just plain old coins so I know what I'm doing. >:( >:(
Proud of U Scottso :o Wow 6 8) Who are you upset with or about ??? We understand younger folks here ..no need to be upset ,unless it is with the big meanie in the red ,white , and blue suit :laughing1:.. Chill bud dawg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Scottso said:
Proud of U Scottso :o Wow 6 8) Who are you upset with or about ??? We understand younger folks here ..no need to be upset ,unless it is with the big meanie in the red ,white , and blue suit :laughing1:.. Chill bud dawg

I just turned 13, so look out!

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CMDiamonddawg said:
Scottso said:
Iron Patch said:
CMDiamonddawg said:
Scottso said:

I just turned 13, so look out!
CMDiamonddawg said:
Scottso said:
Hey Scottso i dont think anyone was trying to be mean to you but when you post that you have a very rare coin like a 1776 Continental Dollar where i think only 100 are known to be authentic and there is thousands made in 1876 copy's plus all the fakes after that year everyone wanted to see pictures that's all, iam sure you realize that a camera is the closest thing to seeing a coin except when its in your hand on T-Net no one is discounting your claim or are they mad at you . that's remarkable at 11 you have so much knowledge about coins already .Good show :thumbsup: Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread