Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I must have been a good boy because Santa brought me the 3 lb rock tumbler form Harbor Freight I had asked for...and he delivered it early! Now what? Besides the obvious clad, what should I try tumbling? Wondering about:

-Smoothie LC's and coppers?
-Colonial and other early buckles?
-Flat or dandy buttons?
-Old brass locks?
-Skeleton keys?
-Crotal bells?

Are items like these a no no in the tumbler or should I give it a try?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I threw a rusty socket set in mine with some beach sand and fish tank gravel.

Couple of hours later, good as new.

You can also use it to mix drinks at the Christmas party.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Try different medias. I have plastic, aluminum oxide, beach sand (mild sand), foundry sand ( very abrasive) plus some iron filings I mixed. Start with a mild media on good objects. For relics I usually have to hit them hard. On good coins I might use walnut or corn grindings. Keep a list of the effectiveness of each on certain type objects to save time. Just some thoughts to get you started. Frank

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember to keep pennies by themselves, or any other coins you put in with them will have a nice copper color.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tumble my clad and the occasional Indian Head I find. I use aquarium gravel and soap and water. Cleans them up good enough for the coin machine at the bank. I wouldnt put anything in the tumbler you are afraid will come apart or possibly ruin the item or the value of the item. Yes I run my IHP's through it but I wouldnt run an 1877 IHP through it! Use your best judgement on what to run through it. I do love mine! got it from harbor freight 4 years ago and still tumbling good!

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I don't tumble anything but clad in my tumbler, and of course pennies always go by themselves.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give old purple glass a try, it doesn't take long. Use a medium grit and then a polish!!! I have been having fun! It helps if you keep metal outf the glass! I alsomis brass and copper doesn't seem to matter! Happy tumbling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread