What's new

Old Coin

mlw67

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
1,293
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Portland, OR
Hi!

My friend wants to find out whatever he can about this coin.

It measures just under 3/4 of an inch wide.

Can you help?

Thanks for looking !! :headbang:
 

Attachments

  • coin.webp
    coin.webp
    116.3 KB · Views: 630
  • coin2.webp
    coin2.webp
    75 KB · Views: 587
  • coin.webp
    coin.webp
    116.3 KB · Views: 581
  • coin2.webp
    coin2.webp
    75 KB · Views: 588
I'm no expert, but designs very like that mare and suckling foal appear on coins labeled as Seleucid and Samarian. But looking at a lot of photos, I've so far seen that kind of raised bump border pictured on Samarian coins. But I've see none at all with that peculiar game board-looking design on the other side.
 
Upvote 0
TAG post, please ignore


Interesting coin amigo! :thumbsup:
Oroblanco
 
Upvote 0
The head is shaped like a mare, but look at the tail and the big utter. definitely a cow and calf (I think).
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your responses! :hello2:

I'll have to keep reading to narrow it down some, but that page--if I'm reading it correctly--indicates that this is a Greek drachm from the town of Apollonia, circa 250-50 BC.

My friend is going to be tickled purple! :laughing9:

Thanks again!
 
Upvote 0
I am curious, do you know where your friend got the coin? Thank you in advance,
Oroblanco
 
Upvote 0
Thats it Peachy. I hope its real. Is it silver?

I'm not sure, but it looks like it. I was unable to open the little case that it's in and really handle it for a good look and feel.

I am curious, do you know where your friend got the coin?

He just got it from another friend who also knew nothing about it. :dontknow:

I was unable to narrow it down from those pages. There doesn't seem to be enough markings? Or maybe they were weakly struck and they wore off. :dontknow:

Thanks again for the replies, everyone.
 
Upvote 0
mlw67 said:
I was unable to narrow it down from those pages. There doesn't seem to be enough markings? Or maybe they were weakly struck and they wore off. :dontknow:
It looks like there are many variations. Felinepeachys link. http://www.geocities.com/asklapiadas/
 

Attachments

  • coin greek explanations.webp
    coin greek explanations.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 253
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom