MVC-006E.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 3,883

ole_grisley

Nov 23, 2007
Lycomming Co Pa
Detector(s) used
treasure cove
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

you have a couple diff types of cars there in the midget series , you have the actual midget and the 1/4 midget the 1/4 had the offenhouser and crosley 4 cyl engine the full midget had the twin cams and lots more horsepower. the car on the trailer in center of field is a 1/4 and the cars on the track look to be full midgets. I remember watching them race in NY as a kid and WOW what a show they put on. that was befor roll cages and all the safty stuff we have today. lots of drivers got killed and injured because of the lack of safty equipment. here is an intersting link to the offenhouser type cars.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offenhauser

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Unidentified old pictures

bigcypresshunter said:
Does anyone know the name of a track in Indiana in the 40's? I would like to? ID before I sell them on e-bay.

They might even be of some use to Indiana MDers. There might be something good under those bleachers! :D
Here is some pictures from an old magazine I have .
Illiana Motor Speedway , Indiana .

Attachments

• Picture%20004%20(3).jpg
    Picture%20004%20(3).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,686
  • Picture%20003.jpg
    Picture%20003.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,712
  • Picture%20002%20(2).jpg
    Picture%20002%20(2).jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,692
  • Picture%20001.jpg
    Picture%20001.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,731
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Thanks Grisley. I think there are 3 different midget cars pictured.

Cool pics Mojjax.

I have a pile more of these pics but they are packed away in my warehouse somewhere.

Thanks Rammit for the PM. Im sending this whole thread to Palph Pyle's e-mail listied and will post his response.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

A recent midget car monopoly game reminded me of this old thread.

Update: I didnt hear back from the famous photographer from Indiana, Ralph Pyle, who took some of the photographs. I found out Indianapolis native, Leroy Warriner, (in the newsclipping) owned the Indianapolis Speeddrome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leroy_Warriner but I havent been able to identify the track location in the photographs yet, or if Ralph Pyle himself is in the drivers seat, so Im holding back the green check. Everyone involved is from Indianapolis or nearby so Im pretty sure this is the general location. Thanks for looking.

Upvote 0

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer

First of all, great photo's and thanks for sharing them. I was trying to see if I could find out how much his autograph was worth, I use to collect autographs, and came up empty handed. HOWEVER, I'm putting an ebay link below of someone trying to sell the ticket stub from that 1949 Indy race that you might be interested in. From my days of collecting, items of historical significance paired together will bring you a much higher premium. try to get this stub and selling them together will not only be easier, but more profitable. Just my two cents.....Good Luck! Paul http://compare.ebay.com/like/290518...f9946f9&itemid=290518591451&ff4=263602_304662

Upvote 0

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

If you need someone to state the obvious again, here I am!

The 8x10 photos you saved from the building were NOT taken at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That track is HUGE, where the track in your photo is small. At ground level, it is pretty hard to see the other side of the track at Indy!

FWIW, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway is a 2 1/2 mile oval. The one in your pic looks to be a 1/4 mile track, give or take.

You might do some research to see if Pyle ever tried to qualify for the Indy 500. If so, contact Donald Davidson, the historian at the Motor Speedway.

Another possibility is to post them on the nostalgia page at http://www.trackforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?8-Eagle104-s-Nostalgia

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

clovis97 said:
If you need someone to state the obvious again, here I am!

The 8x10 photos you saved from the building were NOT taken at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. That track is HUGE, where the track in your photo is small. At ground level, it is pretty hard to see the other side of the track at Indy!
I didnt know what Indy looked like in the 40's so I asked without thinking. I concluded they are midget cars but I dont know the track other than its in Indiana and Im not sure who is the driver of car #21 (Pyle or Holland or somebody else) in most of the photos. It was determined that Holland raced midgets (Holland was inducted into the midget racing hall of fame in 2007). I need to dig them out and post some more, maybe a clue. Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

clovis97 said:
You might do some research to see if Pyle ever tried to qualify for the Indy 500.
Id like to know if he ever raced midgets and if not, why a famous photographer, like himself, photographed these race cars?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

ole_grisley said:
I remember watching them race in NY as a kid and WOW what a show they put on. that was befor roll cages and all the safty stuff we have today. lots of drivers got killed and injured because of the lack of safty equipment.
Its no wonder we won WWII. These guys were tough! No rollbars on these cars. Talk about road burn. Here are a couple more of Ralph Pyles pictures. I have a feeling most of these are from the same event. Notice the 30 cent reserved bleacher sign in the background.

(accident pics removed)

I emailed Mr. Pyle again to see if he is interested or can help with the ID..

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2007
Griffith Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXlll

mojjax said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Does anyone know the name of a track in Indiana in the 40's? I would like to? ID before I sell them on e-bay.

They might even be of some use to Indiana MDers. There might be something good under those bleachers! :D
LOL! I live a couple miles north of Illiana Speedway! Its on U.S. 30 in Schererville, Indiana and they still race stockcars there!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

mojjax said:
Any pictures of midget car racing or photos by Ralph Pyle?

Upvote 0

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin

bigcypresshunter said:
PHOTO BY RALPH PYLE
420 SOUTH 9th ST.
RICHMOND, IND.

I wonder if this is the same guy? Ralph Pyle Combat Photographer. He would have had to take these pics between wars. The dates fit and he is from Indiana. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.00414/

Sorry if this is a late reply. It has to be the same guy. He was born in Lynn, IN...about 15 miles north of Richmond.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-stories/loc.natlib.afc2001001.00414/pageturner?ID=pm0001001

He was living at the Clearview Drive address (above), in 1952, per his Bronze Star orders:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-stories/loc.natlib.afc2001001.00414/pageturner?ID=pm0002001

Plus, he's listed under Indiana Photographers, with the same address.

If it helps dating the photos, his "interest in photography wasn't apparent" until the war:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-stories/loc.natlib.afc2001001.00414/pageturner?ID=pm0001001

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Thanks Kid. Old question. Ive concluded its the same guy but Im trying to figure what event this took place at and who is in car #21 that looks like him. Most of the pictures center around car #21. Did he ever race midgets? His stamp is on the back of the pics.

Im thinking now he was hired for this event after WWII. One picture with the white arrow appears to signify that it was for a newspaper story or magazine. He may have sat in car #21 just for the picture because I cant find anything that he ever raced. (bottom pic from the web) But if its not him in car #21, who is it? :icon_scratch: I dont think its Bill Holland. :dontknow: Sponsor is Perfect Circle.

I emailed him again to see if hes interested or can help.

Attachments

• MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,323
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,527
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,278
  • MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,285
  • RalphPyle129web.jpg
    RalphPyle129web.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,370
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I guess I have the wrong email address. I searched back and it failed in 09 as well.

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

ralphpyle@XXXXXXX

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 [email protected] account is unavailable (state 14).

Upvote 0

wallbanger

May 12, 2011

Anyone with interest in Ralph Pyle / Richmond INDIANA racing photos please contact me.

Ronn Berry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

wallbanger said:
Anyone with interest in Ralph Pyle / Richmond INDIANA racing photos please contact me.

Ronn Berry
Hello Ronn.

Do you know anything about my photos? Do you collect them?

Can you identify my racetrack? Do you know the man in car #21?

Did Ralph Pyle race Crosley midgets? What was his interest in racing?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

I received a PM from wallbanger and he was very helpful. :icon_thumright: Thanks. I had a feeling these pictures had some importance.

He has identified the Midget racetrack in Richmond and some of the drivers. One of the accident pictures (removed)shows a veteran driver of the Indianapolis 500 that was later killed on the infamous "Black Sunday" in 1951. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Ralph Pyle was never a driver, as far as he knows, but photographed 100s of cars and drivers as a profit making enterprise in the mid/late '40s. The driver in car #21 is not Ralph Pyle.

Im going to try and dig them all out of the warehouse and see what else I have got.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions