What's new

✅ SOLVED Old racing pictures found in trash- RACETRAC IDed

Bigcypresshunter

Sapphire Member
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
27,124
Reaction score
3,351
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found some old B&W pictures in an old warehouse. I am trying to ID the location and approx. date of racing cars. Does anyone know? One pic is signed by Bill Holland, but I don't know if it is connected to the other pics. The photoshop was in Richmond,Ind.
 

Attachments

  • MVC-003E.webp
    MVC-003E.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 3,980
  • MVC-002E.webp
    MVC-002E.webp
    4.1 KB · Views: 3,876
  • MVC-006E.webp
    MVC-006E.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 3,932
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

pippinwhitepaws said:
the bill holland photo is not a quarter midget..it is a Deidt/Offy that won the 1949 indy 500.
i could be wrong...
Yes. The Bill Holland pic is a different location and different car and appears to be no connection with all the others. Until today, I didnt know this. The others are Crosleys made in Cincinnati. It took me 3 years to ID these as Crosley Midjets. It makes sense now because I found an old original 1949 Crosley Service Manual with the pictures. I only today made the connection. Thanks for your response.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

DD-777 said:
Indeed it is the Offy. The other cars in the original pics at top are the quarter-midgets.

Hey Pip, was Deidt the builder or sponsor of that car?
pippinwhitepaws said:
deidt was the chassis builder.
Offenhauser was the powerplant.
Thanks. The sponsors in the Offy/Indy/Holland pic in reply #6 are Firestone and Blue Crown Spark Plug. I also have a pic of what may be BillHolland in the #21 Crosley Midget which is the most prevalent car in my pictures. The sponsor is Perfect Circle. Did Holland also race Midgets? Does anyone recognize his "Perfect Circle" sponsor logo?
 

Attachments

  • MVC-024S.webp
    MVC-024S.webp
    22 KB · Views: 2,293
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

Perfect Circle manufactured piston rings...


...still in business today!
 

Attachments

  • 2006_pd959392_1.webp
    2006_pd959392_1.webp
    62 KB · Views: 2,151
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

DD-777 said:
Perfect Circle manufactured piston rings...


...still in business today!
Yes I think thats it. Now I wonder if Perfect Circle ever sponsored Bill Holland and if he raced Crosley Midjets.
perfect circle.webpperfect circle piston rings.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

Very Cool pics Bet they'd sell
 

Attachments

  • 100_1210.webp
    100_1210.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,143
  • 100_1207.webp
    100_1207.webp
    30 KB · Views: 2,164
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

pippinwhitepaws said:
yes he did, but i can not find records of races or car...

http://highbanks-museum.org/inductees.htm

sounds as if you found a treasure ... holland was inducted into the midget racing hall of fame in 2007.
you might contact the museum.
Thanks for the link. Maybe Ill contact the museum. hall of fame midget racing.gif
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

FRENCH Connection said:
Very Cool pics Bet they'd sell
Cool token. They are all one of a kind original photographs. Im trying to find out all I can before I sell or donate. Most of them are 8 x 10 inch and some have this stamped on the back:
PHOTO BY RALPH PYLE
420 SOUTH 9th ST.
RICHMOND, IND.

I wonder if this is the same guy? Ralph Pyle Combat Photographer. He would have had to take these pics between wars. The dates fit and he is from Indiana. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.00414/
 

Attachments

  • MVC-025S.webp
    MVC-025S.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 2,047
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • MVC-026S.webp
    MVC-026S.webp
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,072
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

Do you this is the same Ralph Pyle that took these pictures? He appears to be a famous photographer. Scroll down to his picture under it says Richmond, Indiana. I wonder if hes alive today? These racing pics were all going into the dumpster when I saved them.
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-stories/loc.natlib.afc2001001.00414/album
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

I think it is Ralph Pyle himself in the #21 car. On the left is Sgt Ralph Pyle from the following site:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/vhp-stories/loc.natlib.afc2001001.00414/enlarge?ID=ph0009001&page=1

On the right is Bill Holland from the following photo:

http://www.catamountstadium.com/Images/Rutland_Fair_104th_Program_BillHolland_Cover.JPG

And the middle photo is the mystery driver from the photo you posted above in reply #21, BigCy. :wink:


combined-1.webp



Regards,



Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

BuckleBoy said:
I think it is Ralph Pyle himself in the #21 car.
Regards,
Buckles
Thanks Buckles. It sure looks like him! But I think the photos are late 40's. Iding when the Perfect Circle logo was used could date it or when he resided at the 420 S 9th St Richmond, Ind. address. What year is the Dodge truck in the background of reply #21?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

Im thinking Buckles is correct that it is not Bill Holland in the midgets. Cropped from reply #6 Indy pic. Im going to have to dig out all the pics and lay them out. I had forgotten all about this 3 year old thread until I saw the Crosley racecars in this link. http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Crosley/
MVC-025S.webpMVC-026S.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

I must say BCH, that I have really enjoyed this thread. My Dad was a stock car racer back in the late 60s through the early 80s. I have many old photos taken at Tri-State Speedway in Pocola Oklahoma of my Dad racing against some well known racers , like Mark Martin and Rusty Wallace when they were just getting started.

One thing I can say about the open wheel car drivers, they must have some HUGE :o CAHONEYS getting in those cars with absolutely no protection over or around them!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

I have some midget car accident pics of upside down cars (stamped on the back Photo by Ralph Pyle) in the bunch but not sure if I want to post them all on the net at this time because I may want to sell.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

bigcypresshunter said:
I have some good midget car accident pics of upside down cars (stamped on back Photo by Ralph Pyle) in the bunch but not sure if I want to post them on the net at this time because I may want to sell.

Thats cool. :thumbsup: Just be sure and get them all scanned into digital format so that after you donate or sell the originals, you can share the digitals. I'd love to see them.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

bigcypresshunter said:
BuckleBoy said:
I think it is Ralph Pyle himself in the #21 car.
Regards,
Buckles
Thanks Buckles. It sure looks like him! But I think the photos are late 40's. Iding when the Perfect Circle logo was used could date it or when he resided at the 420 S 9th St Richmond, Ind. address. What year is the Dodge truck in the background of reply #21?

Well looking at his DOB, I don't think it would've been his father driving car #21...


But I guess it is possible that he raced in between the wars. The smile, the chin, and the eyes sure look like Pyle. Are there any other close-ups in the mix? Perhaps one with his helmet off?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Unidentified old pictures- RACE CARS IDed

Yes, I think the pics are between wars. I will have to dig out the rest of the pics and see. I think its him. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • MVC-025S.webp
    MVC-025S.webp
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,898
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom