75.8 KB · Views: 1,203

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Could it have been converted to a percussion cap? (I'm not up on all the mechanics of firearms). It looks very similar to the Brown Bess... but those were flintlocks. Is there (or was there) a crown above the "G.R." thats marked on it? Here's the similar model I'm talking about: http://www.11thpa.org/Bess.html

Upvote 0

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Dublin Castle is the Irish equivalent of the Tower of London, in that it was the national arsenal and Headquarters of the Irish Board of Ordnance. You could try writing to the Curator of Arms at the National Museum of Ireland

Upvote 0

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't know much about old rifles, just wanted to say that it's a beautiful firearm. A good thorough cleaning would make all the difference in the world. Whenever you clean it post a picture.

THANX,
MISPLACEDREDNEK :o :o :o

Upvote 0

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
can't tell from the pics but with the age of the gun it might have damascus barrel and if so do not shoot gun...also if a nickle fits inside of the end of the barrel it most likely is a 10 guage shotgun...if damascus you should be able to see round styrations all the way down the length...they would take a thin strand of metal and coil it to make the barrel, and these type have been known to quite often come apart when shot ...i think the age deteriorated them, along with the stronger powders making more pressure than they were made for......gldhntr

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes nhbenz . there is a crown above ''GR'' . Seems like it must have been altered to percussion .

Thanks for the nice links everybody !

gldhntr , nope , wont try shooting it - too rough looking .

Her mother gave us another gun also . I'll post it tomorrow . We think we id'ed it as a Kentucky long .
mojjax

Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

Amazing looking firearm...give it some much needed cleaning and you'll have an wonderful family heirloom. :o

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
WHOAH! Careful on the cleaning! Make sure to get good advice on this before proceeding... its worth some dough, be sure not to hurt it. It does appear there were parts removed (noting the empty screw holes) that may have accommodated the flintlock action... but clearly done a long time ago. Nice old piece.

Upvote 0

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland
Back during the days of the struggle for independence here in Ireland, they used to bury their guns in the fields. I have a few acres of family land and I'm in the process of building a new house. An area has been pointed out to me as a place to not dig because it's the uncles burried the guns. I will admit that I'm currious and have thought about digging them up, but then I'd have the problem of what do you do with them?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a picture of the other gun she gave us . Her late husband had it restored by a gunsmith 20 years ago . We thought it was a Kentucky rifle , I was looking up the words on the side this afternoon - ROBBINS , KENDALL & LAWRENCE - Turns out it's from Mississippi . I found some similar ones at this auction site . # 579 , #580 ,#581 :

http://julia.hanovercomputer.com/firearms/oct04/catalog/Owens Day Two.htm

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 667
  • Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 683
Upvote 0

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
if the gun was browned instead of blued let me know as i have in depth directions on this process and its quite easy although takes some time...results are great...g

Upvote 0
S

swampghost

hate to burst any ones bubbles but that is a ten gauge shotgun used for goose and duck hunting.(works great on a man too)

Upvote 0

LJHanley06

Aug 19, 2006
Very much looks like it was originally a Brown Bess (Revolutionary War era)...later converted to percussion cap (1830's-40's), this was a very common practice.

DO NOT CLEAN IT!

A weapon as old as this authenticates itself by showing it's age...have the professionals look at it as others have mentioned...take it to a museum that deals with antique firearms.

Also, be fore-warned...sometimes these old rifles were left loaded while hanging over the mantle...not to say that your relative did this, but there are many many cases of old muzzleloaders that were charged with powder and ball that went off...TAKE IT TO YOUR LOCAL GUNSMITH to verify that it is not loaded.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Push the ramrod carefully down the muzzle to see if its loaded. They sell bulletpullers, but are not easy to use. If it is loaded you can possibly make the gunpowder harmless by adding some water through the nipple, before attempting to unload. There is also a CO2 cartridge kit that will blow the load out with air pressure. Soap and water is best for cleaning blackpowder, which is very corrosive. You may be able to remove the barrel from the stock. Make sure the barrel dries well and then oil it. I use linseed oil on my antiques. Great for the wood also. Can be thinned with turpentine. This is what would have been used in the 1800's and I like to keep everything original.
Nice blackpowder muzzleloaders. I would also say whoa on the cleaning. (except soapy water and linseed oil)

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
swampghost said:
hate to burst any ones bubbles but that is a ten gauge shotgun used for goose and duck hunting.(works great on a man too)
10 gauge muzzleloading shotgun with percussion cap.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread