What's new

OLD Translucent Bakelite Dice ID

KJW

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I have some old translucent bakelite dice. They have DH initials on them. Does anyone think these are Casino Dice? Also I can't decide if they are orange, red or a mixture. Thanks for the help in advance. Kris
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    86.9 KB · Views: 899
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    67 KB · Views: 848
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 842
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    64.9 KB · Views: 814
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    62.6 KB · Views: 818
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 818
  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 814
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 829
  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 821
Re: OLD Bakelite Dice ID

Anyone want to guess on the color? I think I am going color blind or something ???
 
Upvote 0
Re: OLD Bakelite Dice ID

Well, I know that in the 1800's there would be traveling gambling venues. The men that would run them had their initials put on all of their equipment.(hence D.H. They had gambling kits with all the basics for the games etc...complete with a pistol in the bottom. :D

Yours look like glass. Some of those get really pricey.
 
Upvote 0
Re: OLD Bakelite Dice ID

NICE DICE :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
Re: OLD Bakelite Dice ID

Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Well, I know that in the 1800's there would be traveling gambling venues. The men that would run them had their initials put on all of their equipment.(hence D.H. They had gambling kits with all the basics for the games etc...complete with a pistol in the bottom. :D

Yours look like glass. Some of those get really pricey.

They are bakelite for sure. I think some of the bakelite ones get pricey too. I saw an episode of Pawn Stars with one of the gambling kits, I can't remember what the dice looked like. Hopefully they replay that episode again soon and I can find out if they look the same.

Thanks DevilDog812 & Mojjax, they are some pretty cool looking dice.
 
Upvote 0
I think they are vintage bakelite casino dice, and the DH are the initials of the casino or 'hotel.' WELCOME to the forum. Neat find, Breezie

PS: The napkin (or whatever the item) on which you've photographed the dice looks like pure Irish linen. :icon_thumleft:
 

Attachments

  • VintageCasinoDice.webp
    VintageCasinoDice.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 784
Upvote 0
Re: OLD Translucent Bakelite Dice ID Game? (More Pics Added)

Thanks for the info on the Linen Breezie, It is a Pillow Case. I have a bunch of them. This one was not real fancy so I use it as a back ground for pictures. The white helps things stand out sometimes. How do I tell if they are irish linen?

I found that some of the dice have the # 63 and some have RF on them. Maybe this was a Game?? I think they might be in the original box so I took a picture with them in the box I found them in. It looks like it might have had something else in the box that is missing. There are 40 total Dice 6 #63 Dice, 13 RF Dice, 21 DH Dice.

Kris
 

Attachments

  • 045.webp
    045.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 863
  • 047.webp
    047.webp
    99.1 KB · Views: 922
  • 048.webp
    048.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 681
Upvote 0
Re: OLD Translucent Bakelite Dice ID Game? (More Pics Added)

KJW said:
Thanks for the info on the Linen Breezie, It is a Pillow Case. I have a bunch of them. This one was not real fancy so I use it as a back ground for pictures. The white helps things stand out sometimes. How do I tell if they are irish linen?

Kris

Mmm, because it's drinking Guinness beer and wearing green? :laughing7:

Irish linen has a look that other linen does not; it's richer and thicker. Put a drop of water on it, and if it spread very quickly, it's probably Irish linen.

Kudos on snagging the entire box of bakelite dice. Hopefully we'll be able to determine more info about them. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
its marked 63 for a reason to track the batch *--its a matched "batch" or set of perfectly "within legal spec" limits matched casino type dice * dice of that type are issued in controlled lots and must meet certain "specs" normally they are for for casino use only -- dice are "retired" after a certain amount of playing time normally -- looks like you got most if not all of a "set" of "retired "casino dice -- DH would be either the casino's name or maker's of the dices "mark"
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the help guys and gals. I emailed the collector guy about these hopefully he can help me out with what casino they came from.

Kris
 
Upvote 0
cheese said:
Kinda looks like the space left in the box is just right for a deck of cards?

I thought so too but after measuring it would have to be a small deck. Measures 2" x 3 1/4" a normal deck is 3 1/2" x 2 1/2".

Kris
 
Upvote 0
Well I already received a response from my email to the dice collector.

Here it is:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Kris

These are likely some some small hotel somewhere (ie D... Hotel) .. or are someones personalized dice (ie .. R F)

I cant really tell you much more than to confirm that these are quite old
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Do any of you want to guess on the age? I know they did not start making bakelite I think untill 1909. I am guessing 1920's or 1930's.

Kris
 
Upvote 0
I think you should take all the "DH" dice to a local pawn shop and see if you can make them believe they belonged to "Doc" Holiday. Still trying to come up with somebody famous for the "RF" ones.......all that comes to mind is Rat Fink.

Seriously, those are some very cool dice!!
 
Upvote 0
to new of course really but -- try ---r f ---robert ford --( he shot jesse james)
 
Upvote 0
They are not Bakelite. There is another type of plastic, I cant recall the name. I have a set. Mine are from a Casino. Ill search for them. Im guessing 30s-50's.
 
Upvote 0
I tested them with hot water and can smell the formaldahyde or whatever it is.

Thanks for all the help. I really would like to identify these. Are they a game, casino dice, personal dice, etc??

The do look like a few might have shrunk a little and have a patina so maybe they are catalin. I don't see many on ebay or the internet listed as catalin dice and none of them look like these.

Kris
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom