What's new

OLD Translucent Bakelite Dice ID

KJW

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
68
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I have some old translucent bakelite dice. They have DH initials on them. Does anyone think these are Casino Dice? Also I can't decide if they are orange, red or a mixture. Thanks for the help in advance. Kris
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    86.9 KB · Views: 899
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    67 KB · Views: 848
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    66.4 KB · Views: 842
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    64.9 KB · Views: 814
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    62.6 KB · Views: 818
  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    40.9 KB · Views: 818
  • 005.webp
    005.webp
    59.8 KB · Views: 814
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 829
  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 821
KJW said:
I tested them with hot water and can smell the formaldahyde or whatever it is.

Thanks for all the help. I really would like to identify these. Are they a game, casino dice, personal dice, etc??

The do look like a few might have shrunk a little and have a patina so maybe they are catalin. I don't see many on ebay or the internet listed as catalin dice and none of them look like these.

Kris
Bakelite doesnt come in red. The two types of plastic are often confused and Catalin is commonly called Bakelite, but technically it is not. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/50-vintage-bakelite-catalin-dice-tr-king-co-7-1

Im looking for my set that I found at my fathers house. The red Catalin dice that I have are marked with a Casino logo. Yes I believe yours may also be casino.
 
Upvote 0
KJW said:
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Well, I know that in the 1800's there would be traveling gambling venues. The men that would run them had their initials put on all of their equipment.(hence D.H.?) They had gambling kits with all the basics for the games etc...complete with a pistol in the bottom. :D

Yours look like glass. Some of those get really pricey.

They are bakelite for sure. I think some of the bakelite ones get pricey too. I saw an episode of Pawn Stars with one of the gambling kits, I can't remember what the dice looked like. Hopefully they replay that episode again soon and I can find out if they look the same.

Thanks DevilDog812 & Mojjax, they are some pretty cool looking dice.
 
Upvote 0
Here are my BC catalin dice. One is decomposing badly.
They are from the Barbary Coast Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.

One thing I noticed is my dice are numbered.
My camera battery is charging. I see yours appear to be numbered 63.
 

Attachments

  • dice catalin bc.webp
    dice catalin bc.webp
    36.3 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Here are my BC catalin dice. One is decomposing badly.
They are from the Barbary Coast Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.

One thing I noticed is my dice are numbered.
My camera battery is charging. I see yours appear to be numbered 63.

Looks like you have it nailed :icon_thumright:

Now I need to figure out what Hotel / Casino they came from. I searched for casinos that start with a D and have not found any yet. Some of them are numbered, some of them have RF and some have DH.

Thanks for the help.

Kris
 
Upvote 0
Here are some more pics now that my battery is charged. They say Barbary Coast as well as BC and they are also numbered.

Breezie are yours initialed and numbered?

To claim casino would be to match the intials IMO. I think its a possibility.
 

Attachments

  • dice barbary coast.webp
    dice barbary coast.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 342
  • dice numbered.webp
    dice numbered.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Here are some more pics now that my battery is charged. They say Barbary Coast as well as BC and they are also numbered.

Breezie are yours initialed and numbered?

To claim casino would be to match the intials IMO. I think its a possibility.

I think they might be casino but I have owned casino dice before and these seem to be smaller than what I owned before. I did do some research and found this list of hotel / motels that currently are spelled with a D

http://www.a2zlasvegas.com/hotels/hotel.php3?aa=D

Then I found some of the closed hotel casino's that start with a D but there are only a few.

http://www.insidervlv.com/casinosclosed.html

Debbie Reynolds
Desert Inn Casino
Dunes Casino

I don't know what to think about the RF or 63 yet.

Kris
 
Upvote 0
They Measure 16mm x 16mm. What do yours measure bigcypresshunter?
 
Upvote 0
KJW said:
They Measure 16mm x 16mm. What do yours measure bigcypresshunter?
Mine measure 3/4 of an inch.
 
Upvote 0
I guess they can still be casino dice if they are smaller it is just not as common. Here is a link I found that expains this.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7467936_casino-dice-specifications.html

It also explains that the dice should be marked with the casino name. Mine do not have a casino name on them. I am now starting to wonder again if they are not from a game or something else. Kris
 
Upvote 0
I hope someone comes up with the answer to the "DH" and "RF" question. I have looked all over the Net, to no avail, and am very interested in the answers. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Roland58 said:
I hope someone comes up with the answer to the "DH" and "RF" question. I have looked all over the Net, to no avail, and am very interested in the answers. :dontknow:
Me Too.
 
Upvote 0
I am still trying to ID the game these were used with. :help:
 
Upvote 0
Thats an awful lot of dice for a single game. I would guess its the initials of the owners, the gambling establishment or juke joint and it may be the 63rd box.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom