What's new

On the DL.

Sherpat

Full Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2016
Messages
149
Reaction score
283
Golden Thread
0
Location
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Life's funny, isn't it?

I'd just gotten bit by the MD bug after wifey gave me a Tesoro Compadre this past Christmas. Even in the snow I was out there trying to figure out the different beeps. I joined this terrific community here at TreasureNet, read through threads obsessively trying to learn as much as possible (and having fun posting in the "Random Picture Thread"), and finally recently managed to buy a pinpointer. I've found mostly inconsequential stuff (with the exception of one really nice silver ring) but had just a helluva lot of fun doing it.

And then I went and busted my arm. Gotta go in for elbow reconstruction surgery this Friday, after which I'll be immobilized for 6 - 8 weeks, with full recovery not expected for around a year after.

Sheesh.

Anyway, being relatively new here I'm sure a lot of you probably don't even know who I am. But if the few of you I've been priveleged to chat with were wondering where I went recently, that was it. And it's why starting Friday I'll probably be even more scarce, at least for the first few months.

Oh well. Chin up, and all that. At least I have a loving (and resigned, lol) wife to spoon feed me give me the odd sponge bath. Woo hoo!

No need to respond to this, btw. I know you guys (and gals) are all nice enough that you'd want to chime in with wishes for a full and speedy recovery. But really, all I wanted to do was vent for a minute here.

If anyone in North Jersey needs to borrow a Tesoro Compadre for a few weeks, let me know! Hate to think of my new baby going to waste :)

See ya on the other side....

:walk:
 
Good luck in your rehabilitation. :)
 
8-),,we be here when you return...best luck to you !!
 
As they say in show business to wish some one luck...."break a leg!" (Groan).
 
I recommend you continue to review others threads to feed the dragon. I use "today's finds" to feed the dragon or to quench the shakes if I can't detect when I need to.
 
As brutal as your injury sounds, from your post it seems as if the doctors have you on the way to a full recovery..........best wishes and prayers for your recovery and the dreaded rehab. Kudos to your wife for a thoughtful Christmas gift........that Compadre will serve you well when you are ready to get into the swing again.........just be patient and know that you have a huge support group here, just finger tips away!!
 
Speedy recovery and kudos on the spongbaths
 
I recommend you continue to review others threads to feed the dragon. I use "today's finds" to feed the dragon or to quench the shakes if I can't detect when I need to.

Great advice, thanks Loco-Digger. Gotta get a laptop first, though. Won't be able to sit at my PC desk for a while...

Thanks :)
 
As brutal as your injury sounds, from your post it seems as if the doctors have you on the way to a full recovery..........best wishes and prayers for your recovery and the dreaded rehab. Kudos to your wife for a thoughtful Christmas gift........that Compadre will serve you well when you are ready to get into the swing again.........just be patient and know that you have a huge support group here, just finger tips away!!

Thanks very much for that, Chizzy. That was all very nice of you to say :)
 
I've gotta 2nd Chizzy's post. You underestimate yourself - of course you're remembered! Yours is the only nickname that reminds me of sherbert every time I read it! :tongue3:

Got a bum ankle here. Am expecting about a year for my recuperation as well, so have been putting it off as long as I can.

I bought the wife a used laptop a couple years back off of eBay. Got a great deal! I think the seller used it in their eBay business, but wanted to upgrade to a better model. It's as fast as my older Win XP machine, 500gig, 4 MB RAM, and 17" monitor with all the software trimmings. Got a great deal! Have only had to buy a new battery for it, and got one with twice the life. The new battery pack raises the rear of the laptop off of the desk or whatever it's sitting on, which provides for better cooling. However, it's a Windows 7 machine.

If you want newer software, I'd go with brand new laptop. Just remember that the el-cheapo models are totally stripped! Just enough to get you up and running but little else.

...And don't worry. We won't snicker too much while you're typing one-fingered onto that keyboard!! :tongue3:
 
I've gotta 2nd Chizzy's post. You underestimate yourself - of course you're remembered! Yours is the only nickname that reminds me of sherbert every time I read it! :tongue3:

Got a bum ankle here. Am expecting about a year for my recuperation as well, so have been putting it off as long as I can.

I bought the wife a used laptop a couple years back off of eBay. Got a great deal! I think the seller used it in their eBay business, but wanted to upgrade to a better model. It's as fast as my older Win XP machine, 500gig, 4 MB RAM, and 17" monitor with all the software trimmings. Got a great deal! Have only had to buy a new battery for it, and got one with twice the life. The new battery pack raises the rear of the laptop off of the desk or whatever it's sitting on, which provides for better cooling. However, it's a Windows 7 machine.

If you want newer software, I'd go with brand new laptop. Just remember that the el-cheapo models are totally stripped! Just enough to get you up and running but little else.

...And don't worry. We won't snicker too much while you're typing one-fingered onto that keyboard!! :tongue3:

Oof! Sorry about the bum ankle. Taking your foot out of your mouth once in a while might help ;) Lol...j/k. I hope your recovery goes as quickly as I hope mine does :)

Thanks for the advice on the laptop. It's a bit out of the budget picture at the moment (anesthesiologists are not covered by my health plan, otherwise I'd have ordered one by now). But a friend did e-mail me this morning that she can lend me her old clunker (with Vista *shudder*).

Ha! Yeah, the "One Finger" method should provide some amusement for you. I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks, man :)
 
I sincerely hope you recover quickly.

However-

Your detector builds up a 'memory' on finding stuff. It gets used to finding crappy stuff, or really great stuff. Kind of like the difference between training a good dog, or just letting it sniff other dog butts at the dog park.

So, you don't want your detector developing bad habits and getting 'lazy' during your recovery.

I suggest sending it to a qualified detectorist for continued training during your down time.

It will benefit both you AND your detector!

Best of luck.
 
I sincerely hope you recover quickly.

However-

Your detector builds up a 'memory' on finding stuff. It gets used to finding crappy stuff, or really great stuff. Kind of like the difference between training a good dog, or just letting it sniff other dog butts at the dog park.

So, you don't want your detector developing bad habits and getting 'lazy' during your recovery.

I suggest sending it to a qualified detectorist for continued training during your down time.

It will benefit both you AND your detector!

Best of luck.

Hmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm. Whomever could I think of who would be so generous as to keep my baby in shape during my absence? Who??

Lol...thanks for the well wishes :)
 
I hope you have a speedy recovery, good luck on the procedure!
 
unless you have one of those arm out at 90* thingys I bet a resourceful buddy could rig you up to detect some
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom