pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Often I have seen these lets call them "One Hit Wonders" you all know the type. The ones that take the time to sign up, figure out how to post, put up a picture, ask a question then disappear. WHY?

Seen it in many different areas of TN forums as well as other forums regarding many subjects. Is it boredom, short term memory loss, or the person just has enough time in their lives to do a post then get busy again and forgets all about it?

Could it be that the answers are not what they want to hear/read, seen where they seem to argue the suggestions that the membership have provided then disappear.

I'm sure some post, read the replies without signing in, and go about life again dismissing the crickets chirping of their post questions asking for more details.

Don't get me wrong some are different, but on a whole most are interesting queries to items or things regarding treasure hunting as a whole.

A simple thank you, or bugger you before parting would be good.

Aw man! I thought we were gonna talk one hit wonder bands like:
kajagoogoo - too shy
dexy midnight runner - come on eileen

Kidding aside I have seen many posts like you mention. Funny ones are the ones that go on for years and the OP never checks back in to see all the commotion.

First off it's the internet, no operators license or test required prior to use, so you get all sorts of people. Remember that we are all quite different in many ways. Some of us, like you and I, participate often and consistently, while others are hit and miss, or one hit wonders.

The believe the bottom line is that some people are just flaky!

I could write a book, but I'll try not to. I can only speak for myself. I'm intimidated and easily embarrassed. Here's a few examples.

1. This site has a ratio of 10:1 males to females. I'm female. Intimidated.
2. I'm new to this and know very little about what I'm finding in the ground. So, when I post asking what something is and get a reply, "Looks like trash to me." I'm embarrassed. Actually may have thrown away the best relic I could have found because of this. I didn't post it because I was recently embarrassed, and instead asked my husband. He coincidently said the same phrase. Really crushed my spirit, so I pitched it.
3. When I look at my thread and see hundred plus views, but only get maybe one reply. I have noticed this happens to all threads to some degree. Who are these lurkers and why ? Intimidated.
4. I am flakey. :tongue3:

Aw man! I thought we were gonna talk one hit wonder bands like:
kajagoogoo - too shy
dexy midnight runner - come on eileen

Kidding aside I have seen many posts like you mention. Funny ones are the ones that go on for years and the OP never checks back in to see all the commotion.

So this could be a new category "one hit pot stirrers?" commonly known as "sheit disturbers"

I could write a book, but I'll try not to. I can only speak for myself. I'm intimidated and easily embarrassed. Here's a few examples.

2. I'm new to this and know very little about what I'm finding in the ground. So, when I post asking what something is and get a reply, "Looks like trash to me." I'm embarrassed. Actually may have thrown away the best relic I could have found because of this. I didn't post it because I was recently embarrassed, and instead asked my husband. He coincidently said the same phrase. Really crushed my spirit, so I pitched it.
3. When I look at my thread and see hundred plus views, but only get maybe one reply. I have noticed this happens to all threads to some degree. Who are these lurkers and why ? Intimidated.

1) Never knew that-just kidding as it makes me think that the male side of this hobby would be kinder to you and other females.
2) It's the school of hard knocks-and remember there's never a stupid question when it comes to learning.
3) Now that might be a sore spot for many creeping in here, we're all subject to this as it's a huge forum and folks gleam over the posts and never reply.
4) No because: You're on TN
You dig in dirt
You post
You seem to have a good sense of grey matter between the ears.
I could go on but that could be mistaken as flattery and the melon will swell. :)

Another possibility: The OP, through his/her own independent research, found the answser and saw no need to return and add to the thread; though that would have been the 'reasonable, polite thing to do.
Don...

I agree with Carolina Tom on this one, it's the internet.

Another possibility: The OP, through his/her own independent research, found the answser and saw no need to return and add to the thread; though that would have been the 'reasonable, polite thing to do.
Don...

So true is your statement, then there are those like yourself that shares and contributes so much to helping with the ID of coinage.

Then there's the posters that will post up finds, and in the replies there are contributing members that ask legitimate questions that are never answered just crickets. This one peeves me for some reason....

Awesome Link! Thanks!
I'm stuck at work all day long and I will be listening to these "hits" when everyone leaves. I am gonna crank it up to 11! :headbang:

Sounds like a plan! Might do the same.:icon_thumleft:

Feel I should clarify something.
#1) Past experiences, hence the book.

The men on this site have been mostly kind and respectful. And I thank all for that.

Here is my personal experience. I found Tnet back in the winter of 2013. I was amazed at the finds and the story's that went along with them. I also felt that it was a forum that is chock full of info posted by others, many with decades of experience. The format is inviting and relatively easy to use. You see I bought an el cheapo detector a few years prior and did not know the 1st thing about it, so it stayed in the rafters of the shed. I was somewhat timid to join the site, but after about 6 months of lurking and reading everything possible concerning the hobby on the internet, I finally joined made and my introductory post. I was warmly welcomed by 13 members commenting. Being timid to comment on subjects that I know nothing about, I began to hit the "LIKE" icon on finds and posts that caught my eye. It took me another 6 months before I made my 1st post.

I normally peruse the Today's Finds, General, Metal Detectin,g and a few brands forums. Once I am caught up in posts in those forums I do go into "new posts" and refresh often, in order to stay current

As for the one hit wonders, I find most are post's concerning an items value. Many might leave the hobby soon after taking it on as a prospective hobby since they are not digging treasure quick enough, or finding places to hunt is not their forte, thus no return to tnet to reply to questions or to participate in other's posts.

My Grandmother always kept IT in a safe place ... and told me ever sense i was i kid it is worth big $ then mom got it.
Mom passed now it`s mine a family heirloom....i`ll look it up on the net.
Net sent me here to Tnet..."had to sign up to post" .... first post (i have high hopes) is my family`s keepsake a "left handed wiz bang" got to have value .
We at Tnet tell them we have seen them... we know what that is... and have found them...we tell all we know about the subject.
Now they are Dissapointed in what we tell them...or the value...or that`s not what Gramdma told me ...sour grapes i`m just going to look till i hear what i want.... them dummys on Tnet don`t know squat BYE.
That`s what i think ..they think...what u think ?
Gary

Last edited:
My Grandmother always kept in a safe place ... and told me ever sense i was i kid it is worth big $ then mom got it.
Mom passed now it`s mine a family heirloom....i`ll look it up on the net.
Net sent me here to Tnet..."had to sign up to post" .... first post (i have high hopes) is my family`s keepsake a "left handed wiz bang" got to have value .
We at Tnet tell them we have seen them... we know what that is... and have found them...we tell all we know about the subject.
Now they are Dissapointed in what we tell them...or the value...or that`s not what Gramdma told me ...sour grapes i`m just going to look till i hear what i want.... them dummys on Tnet don`t know squat BYE.
That`s what i think ..they think...what u think ?
Gary

The old saying goes - The truth hurts. Might apply to your statement.
It's kind of funny when the new poster puts up pic of a screw, but insists it's a nut. Even when the membership helps explain the difference.
Most figure it out that it's really a nut with a screw loose.

All right! I always thought you was a guy, LOL. :icon_scratch:
Compadre sympatico :notworthy:
The male/female ration never bothered me, was brought up to jump right in, I fit in anywhere and everywhere(well, almost, within reason, of course), not gonna be intimidated (or bullied too bad), cause I got just as much right to exist on the planet, as the next cat, girl or boy..... just muddle through it..... :BangHead:
Having a healthy respect for privacy, I don't post a lot of pics, but meow, A LOT. :laughing7: :cat:
Because all threads are indexed on the www's...... it's a big big world, anyone can click.....

The one hit wonders music section is here, I do believe..... :laughing7:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...i-still-wonder-how-they-even-got-one-hit.html

TC said it, every kind of ppl..... may never know, what all is going on in someone elses' world. :dontknow: :notworthy: :laughing7:

Be who you are and say what you will.
Those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind.

OH.... and mmmmmm flakey...... :laughing7:

I had joined a Subaru site and a snowmobile site before to gain ideas and ask questions during repairs but haven't been back since then. I really haven't been back since I use them for necessity more than a hobby.
I wonder if some of the people were in tnet for the same reasons...just questions about a rock they found?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back