What's new

One Huge Weight!

Charl

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
3,091
Reaction score
4,794
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Recovered by a friend yesterday. 3 edges and 3 notches. 3rd notch is seen in frontal view. Friend estimated 80 pounds and a hellava walk back to his truck. I'd have been in traction! lol. Might be an anchor. In the 17th century, Roger Williams observed the Narragansett built dugouts capable of holding 50 men, so this could be an anchor for such a vessel. Whatever, biggest notched weight I've ever seen...
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    391.6 KB · Views: 133
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    806.2 KB · Views: 143
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    581.6 KB · Views: 133
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Up until yesterday, this was the biggest notched weight I'd seen from around these parts. 29.4 pounds and found by another friend many years ago at the very same section of shoreline as the huge weight found yesterday...
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    174.3 KB · Views: 107
well now that is super ferocious charlie and so is the 29 pounder
who knows there could be another around that area?

funny how the last image in your first post somehow resembles a kind of face if you look at the right side of the vertical center

way way cool

what you say about it makes perfect sense and i agree 100%

thanks for the post friend
 
Last edited:
well now that is super ferocious charlie and so is the 29 pounder
who knows there could be another around that area?

funny how the last image in your first post somehow resembles a kind of face if you look at the right side of the vertical center

way way cool

what you say about it makes perfect sense and i agree 100%

thanks for the post friend


Thanks, Steve. My friend actually first saw the 80 pounder many years ago. I recognized what it was in a photo he sent to me one day. Called him right up and told him "go there now! It's low tide. I'll meet you." That was 6 months ago. When we got there, Hurricane Sandy had buried it!! When he was quite a distance from it yesterday, he realized, OMG, it's back! Very happy for him as he had ignored it for years, had seen it come and go from beneath the sands many times. We knew it was still there somewhere and we hoped we would see it again someday! And, yessir, Steve, we will always keep our eyes peeled for more such weights!
 
Thats one heck of a weight and good thread to read! I've never seen one from around here in SW Ga. but they may not have had use for one. You going to put into a wall frame? :laughing7:
 
That is one big weight!!! WOW.......
 
What a great and different find. Tell your friend I said congrats on that. I probably would of thought it was just a rock if I had seen it. I wouldnt even of thought about a weight being that big.
 
Amazing Find! :icon_thumright: Very Interesting! and quite a conversation piece.
 
Humping that one out was victory! Funny how you see some big rocks come and go. There are supposed to be some here with carvings I have dove for but no luck yet ! Every culture had their ways I am glad you all know yours well. I would have that one mounted haha. Nice anchor. :notworthy: Nice haul.
 
I would never thought of it being an anchor, but where it was found, etc. it makes sense. Still, I wouldn't have wanted to be the poor slob that had to throw it out and haul it back in. Seems like over kill for a canoe, even a big one. Maybe some kind of bigger vessel by an early settler? Just wondering. Good find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom