One of my better days in a long time...

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Got out for a short hunt this morning and decided to hit the old playground that is now private property. When I got permission from the property owner to hunt this place, he told me that I wouldn't find anything because someone else had already used a detector there and didn't find anything. I knew this place had to hold some goodies, so I honestly figured that the person before me got all the good stuff and just told the guy he didn't find anything. To date I've found over 75 wheat pennies, 7 silver dimes, 2 silver quarters, a buffalo nickel and a v nickel. Not much clad, but a little here and there.

Here's today's take. The quarter is a 1943 "S", a decent year and mint makr to have. It is worn, but I have to inspect it a bit more to see if it is the double die obverse variety.

Happy Hunting everyone!

Attachments

• labeled100405finds.jpg
    labeled100405finds.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 464
  • 1943quarterreverse1.jpg
    1943quarterreverse1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 475
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Beetle!! Aren't you glad the person before you didn't know what they were doing!!! ;D

Really nice finds!!!

Nana ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Quarter Beetle.

Jeff

Mike in Fla.

Sep 4, 2005
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Minelab Quattro, Minelab Exp. II, Garrett Ace 250, GTXA 1000,
Nice finds, I love it when someone says "it's already been hunted".
Congrats again....

Mike

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE!

HH

Lonewolfe

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Coins, You know when the ground freezes and thaws out it will always push more stuff towards the surface, so I always go back to re-check sites like that. There is a city park which was the site of a Civil War battle, It's been hunted so much over the years that you can't find bullets unless you come back after the ground has thawed out. I have found bullets like this the last 4 years in a row. Only can get 1 or 2 a year like that.

OP
OP
B

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
I did find some kind of kids play ring with a lions head and painted red eyes. No idea, it's a very cheap bubble gum typ of ring.

One of the more interesting finds though, was a bank token. Pretty cool... first bank token I ever found. The folks who own this property are realtors and real estate investors. Just so happened she was having an investment meeting with this bank (current day bank) the next day. I gave it to her and she was very grateful to be able to use it as an icebreaker for the meeting. This has opened up the door to me as well......

Attachments

• banktoken062505.jpg
    banktoken062505.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 337

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Beetle! That's a nice quarter! Too bad about those green crusted wheaties though. I've yet to find anything that cleans that green corrosion off!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Do you mean 75 wheats from that site?

I agree - person before you either had a lousy MD or didn't know what they were doing or combination. Or possibly scored good and was reluctant to tell the owner for fear of loosing some of the loot. How deep were the coins?

Good story.
Bob

OP
OP
B

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
Do you mean 75 wheats from that site?

Yes... yesterdays take took me to either 76 or 77 (I think I miscounted looking back at my pics from the place). All from thsi one place. Most from the 1950's but like yesterday, there have been a few older ones as well. 1919 seems to have turned up 3 times so far.

I agree - person before you either had a lousy MD or didn't know what they were doing or combination. Or possibly scored good and was reluctant to tell the owner for fear of loosing some of the loot.

When I first got permission and was told this, I was pretty bummed out figuring that there would be NOTHING there. Needless to say, I figure that the dude before me "might" have scored a few shallow keepers. That being said, whatever he did find, he left an awful lot of goodies behind.

How deep were the coins?

This take was all in the 3 to 6 inch range. The quarter was in the 5 to 6 inch range, and must have been edge as I only got a response on the backswing. It was stable, so I switched to pinpoint and narrowed it down to being a smaller object. I dug it and sure enough, there he was! A couple of the older Memorials were in that 5 to 6 inch range as well. The rest all fell about 3 to 4 inches. Nothing any shallower than that today.

This place is going to pay off for a long time. I'm hoping to go out into the water of the swimming area on Friday morning if it is not too cool at 8AM (I have to work night shift prior). Knowing what's been left in the grassy areas, there has GOT to be a lot more goodies out in the water. The waters edge has paid off with a silver Washington and a few Silver Roosies as well (beach area is now grass, but once you put the shovel in the ground it is very evident that it's the beach area... nothing but sand!). in tlaking with the local old-timers, it's been a swimming hole for a loooong time... around the turn of the century that I can get them to admit to. I'd say it looks very promising!

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs beetle! I'm glad to see you hear at the T-NET forum. I know your quite active at that other forum.MSN groups-detecting chat.I look forward to seeing more of your finds on here. ;) .This place is the bomb! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread