Only found one coin. 1831 capped bust

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We got sent home from work today due to the cold weather. I figured I'd bundle up and head out after lunch for an hour or two. Anyone in the mid Atlantic right now knows it's pretty darn chilly with the wind!

Decided to hit a farm permission where I have found a couple flat buttons and a toasted copper. First target was a bullet. Shrugged it off and soon got a coin like signal that was reading a little higher than a clad dime and my depth reading was 10".....hmmmmm, this is getting dug without a doubt.
I Cut a plug and fold it over. Nothing in the plug.....now swiping over the hole I'm getting more of a silver quarter signal. Went in with the pinpointer and nothing in the hole. It's in the sidewall? Not a good sign. Figure it's a crazy reading on a piece of iron that has some kind of roundness on the end. Cut in and see something dark colored and SMALL! Made out some stars and noticed it was holed and thought yes! My first trime! After I saw lady liberty I still said yes, my first capped bust! Lol. I ran out of foo foo juice so just went back to the truck and put it on my cup holder so the dirt still attached wouldn't scratch it up in my finds box.

After that the only finds were a pocket knife and an animal tag of some sort (I think). Then there was a mass amount of bullets dug and the the usual aluminum and foil ect. I can't figure out what is going on in the middle of the coin on the obverse. Almost looks like someone tried to hole it there then decided it was a bad spot? Thanks for looking and good luck everyone.

20171208_144507.jpg
20171208_145332.jpg
20171208_145349.jpg
20171208_145503.jpg

Upvote 24

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find but you didn't give the denomination.
I can't tell from the picture, but I'm thinking Half Dime?? I think I see 5 C on the reverse.
Congratulations

Last edited:

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and congrats on your first Capped Bust! I dug my first a couple of months ago and it's in rough shape but a beauty to me. Way to go and hope there's more out there for ya.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the ONE to find!

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find but you didn't give the denomination.
I can't tell from the picture, but I'm thinking Half Dime?? I think I see 5 C on the reverse.
Congratulations

I totally forgot. You're correct. 5c. Can't get over how tiny the coin is!

WisconsinPirate

Aug 2, 2017
Racine, Wi
Detector(s) used
EQ600; Makro MK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I only found that one coin.

Stupid question: Does anyone know why they put the hole in the coin? Did they wear it as jewelry or was it to prevent losing it????????

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Coin!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I only found that one coin.

Stupid question: Does anyone know why they put the hole in the coin? Did they wear it as jewelry or was it to prevent losing it????????

From what I've heard is they used string to carry coins since pockets were not as popular in those days. I'm sure someone will add to this if wrong or there's more reasons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread