opinions on hunting foreclosed homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Are you willing to share any finds you may have from a city park or other "government" property in the same fashion ?

Sure. With all the 100-250 yr old farm houses around here, I really have no interest in hunting public property. On occasion I have hunted the community park and the schools, but that's not my cup of tea. Since you are not from my community or pay school taxes in my district, I guess I can't share those finds with you, can I?
But seriously... check for apples or firewood. I could use both.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kemper keep on spouting the false premise that HUD property is public property to justify trespassing in your mind, it isn't, and no matter how many times you say it, it isn't going to make it true...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't believe I just wasted 20 mins reading this thread.
It did cause an epiphany though..I now know the answer to the Drama Drama Drama thread in general discussion..and I thought it was me, who woulda thunk.

Get permission, easy enough.

BC

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunting private property without permission is trespassing, plain and simple, no matter how many times you try to convince yourself otherwise....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom, have ya ever detected the abandon base housing at Ft. Ord?? I checked it out on Google Earth and it looked kinda sad....I was there in '70....A-2-1 BCTBDE :thumbsup:
you are all doing a good job at super-dissecting the legal issues here. Ie.: public versus private, types-activities one-can-legally do, blah blah blah. All that stuff can be discussed and dissected till the cows come home! So why don't we all just cut to the chase, and apply the following test of whether we can md ANY given type of location:

It's called the "Does anyone really care?" test.

We have those low-income subsidized housings (apt. complexes) here in my city, that date to the late 1940s/early '50s. They may or may not be "HUD", I dunno. Anyhow: They tore a bunch down several years ago. Since it took awhile for the tennants to all move out, there was a period of many months where the complexes sat vacant and boarded up. We "helped ourselves" to the lawns and got a lot of silver. We could have "knocked ourselves silly" debating the various legal ownerships, rules, etc.... of those specks of land, if we'd wanted. But since no one cared less, well .... no one cared less.

Well, I suppose if we'd asked long enough and hard enough of enough desk-bound pencil pushers somewhere, that: Yes, we could have found someone who "cared less" (and could have said "no"). But seriously now folks, SO TOO can the same be said of ANY PLACE we all hunt. There's not a place in the world you or I can hunt, that I bet I can't find someone, somewhere, in a position of authority, to say "you can't do that". So there comes a point where you have to grow-a-set and just go sometimes.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really kind of sad to have read all this.

eth·ics

/ˈeTHiks/

noun

plural noun: ethics; noun: ethics

moral principles that govern a person's or group's behavior.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kemper.....My old Grandpap used to say...."You would argue with a fence post, if that danged fence post would argue back!!"

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go detect the lawn at the Governor's Mansion or the White House and see how far the public property collective ownership theory goes. When the cops get there tell them you pay their salary and order them to cease and desist. then see if that works on the Judge.

All trees are plants but not all plants are trees. Not all Federally owned property is open to the public. But I think somebody is bored and just wants to poke the hornets nest... so they keep posting nonsense.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don't own it, and don't have permission to be on the homes property, that's trespassing. I don't care if you are in the house or in the yard, it makes you a squatter. Even if you are only there an hour you are claiming the land as your own, and well that's just wrong. Around my area squatters are a huge issue, how anybody can justify just invading another's property, be it privately owned, bank owned, HUD owned whomever..well I just can't agree with that. I'd reckon anybody that feels its OK to detect private property without permission, are the same guys I see detecting at historic off limits locations under the assumption that they pay taxes gives them the right to do as they please.
If you don't have permission, I hope you get caught and arrested, because folks that do these things are destroying the detecting hobby. Buncha pirates plundering the loot. That's the way others see it, the ones that make rules and laws against our hobby.
So squatt for an hour or a year and eventually you'll end up like this person...if you are lucky that is.

BC :angry4: :violent1:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter how many times you say it to try to justify your trespassing, your not part owner of any HUD property....

Can you dig up the trees, plants and bushes and take them home? Can you dismantle the fence and take it home?

― James Madison

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yer startin' to turn blue in the face TH!! :argue:
No matter how many times you say it to try to justify your trespassing, your not part owner of any HUD property....

Can you dig up the trees, plants and bushes and take them home? Can you dismantle the fence and take it home?

― James Madison

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly don't see it as arguing. Would like to move on to the bank owned aspect of these foreclosed homes. I was wondering if I were part owner of one ,by being part owner of a bank in possession of one, would I be able to legally run someone off If I caught them detecting it if they were not part owner also. I think there could be some some ground to obtain here if a person explored the legal aspect and decided it would be worth buying stock in the company. Might not be for everyone ,especially those that sit at home and gripe about their park being shut down and loose interest in detecting. Might be a good idea to look into for those of us that refuse to throw in the towel when the going gets tough. Would be nicer if it could be discussed without name calling and accusations but I'll take someone's drama if it leads to actual facts even if it costs me 35 cents that i may have found on a HUD lot that I was part owner of. Anybody ready for a treasure hunt ?

why wonder about it. just think about it long enough and you should be able to convince yourself that you have the right to do anything you want. its these kind of people who spend their life banging their head against a wall and wondering what is wrong with the rest of the world.

metalhealth

Aug 6, 2014
N.C.
Detector(s) used
excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this thread reminds me of the group years ago who went to prison or fought hard in court to get out of it because they had convinced themselves that they had no legal obligation to pay taxes.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kemper
When the HUD property is sold
dontknow.gif
...how much money do you get ?
Gary

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yer startin' to turn blue in the face TH!! :argue:

Doubt that since I'm sitting in my easy chair with my feet on the coffee table watching my new 65" HDTV and drinking a couple margaritas..Life is good my friend...

― James Madison

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
yup

Hey Tom, have ya ever detected the abandon base housing at Ft. Ord?? I checked it out on Google Earth and it looked kinda sad....I was there in '70....A-2-1 BCTBDE :thumbsup:

Yup. It's been detected ad-naseum. Got shut down in the late '90s to early 2000's. It's now been absorbed by neighborhing cities (Marina, Seaside,& Del Rey Oaks) + some for another CA university. And vast areas of the back-country just open space of some sort. Most of those WWII baracks you were probably used to seeing, have been torn down. A few rows on the northern most end of the base still sit abandoned. The base was worked hard for its easy silver even in the late '70s and early '80s. But you can still eek out a few more here and there, if you know where to go :) We also had fun in the flat-top housing areas (late '40s/early '50s vintage) when those homes were torn out. You could go yard to yard and dig sometimes 100 coins off a single yard. But alas, nothing at Ft. Ord was ever that old. The base only dated to the start of WWII (unless you count some obscure earlier usage as bivwac back-country practice between the wars-era).

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have an opinion on a piece of property such as I am talking about with HUD listed as the owner and no signage pertaining to the lot,nor any written restriction, I would be interested.

With so many opinions already offered... I've decided to provide the facts instead. :icon_thumleft:

HUD Home Program HUD Foreclosed Homes
Access to the Property
Owner Occupant and Investor purchasers MUST be accompanied by a broker when viewing any HUD home listed for sale. Buyers may not enter a house without their broker/agent for any reason prior to closing. Brokers and/or agents must accompany any individual performing services such as home inspections, appraisals, or certifications. Brokers and agents may only use their keys for their own legitimate use. Keys may not be lent to any other individuals associated with any sales transactions.

Repairs, Improvements, or Occupancy Prior to Closing

No work may be done to ANY HUD property prior to the closing on the home. An accepted bid does not mean ownership has been transferred . Purchasers do not own the home until after closing and the property is recorded in their name. Purchasers may not use the home for storage of personal items or occupy the premises under any circumstances. Occupying or working on a HUD home prior to the close will be treated as trespassing. Failure to abide by this policy can result in the cancellation of the sale transaction, forfeiture of the earnest money deposit and may also involve suspension of bidding privileges for the selling agent and brokerage firm.

Selling HUD Homes Selling HUD Homes | www.hudhomenetwork.com

Buyers may not enter a house without their broker/agent for any reason prior to closing... Occupying or working on a HUD home prior to the close will be treated as trespassing.

Idaho HUD Homes Idaho HUD Homes |

Buyers may not enter a house without their broker/agent for any reason prior to closing... Occupying or working on a HUD home prior to the close will be treated as trespassing.

Buying a HUD Home HUD Homes for Sale

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I would not suggest occupying or working on a HUD home as you have shown. I certainly didn't do either when I detected one. Being a painter I would have liked to do some touch up as I would have done on a private home that I could legally detect but laws are meant for a reason. Sometimes you just have to detect and leave the ass kissing for another property.

Under that logic one's property rights start at their front door instead of the boundaries of their lot. Sorry but that's just not the case, "property" is the land and any dwellings on the land.

Access to the Property <--- Key words there "access" and "property"

What is ACCESS? definition of ACCESS (Black's Law Dictionary)

Access - The time when an individual is permitted into some security point.

What is REAL PROPERTY? definition of REAL PROPERTY (Black's Law Dictionary)

Real Property - A term that is applied to land and immovable property on land such as buildings.

Even though the legal buyer is not allowed access to the property prior to closing even to do repairs... you are allowed to metal detect because you paid taxes? :laughing7:

Just because HUD own property does not make it Public Common Property. Can you provide one single family dwelling owned by HUD that has been opened to the public?

Nugs Bunny

Mar 13, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will also add that your reference is clearly stated as for owner occupants,investment purchasers and buyers. It also states that it is reference to homes that are being viewed while listed for sale. The latter parts are listed as for buyers. While nothing in your reference prohibits metal detecting as I performed on a HUD home one should also take note that they would not be prohibited from detecting the lot while in the process of purchasing one according to the reference that is shown.

My first post in this thread contains at least ten links with real property listed for sale at several Government agencies.

HUD insured loans, when they defaulted the bank foreclosed, HUD paid them and took possession of the property. It is then assessed and listed, just because there isn't a for sale sign does not mean it's not for sale.

That is why they have all those websites. HUD homes are bought through a broker that is licensed to sell HUD homes. A unique process, and at any point during the process an unauthorized individual is trespassing.

I'm sure the Judge will explain it much better when you land up in court for criminal trespass. <--- That's what it's called when you start digging up a yard without permission.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having a real estate lisc I see this often. I also have a metal detector in my truck. if it is a short sale the owner will say have at it because he just wants out and a sell and some cash before the bank moves in. If the bank gets it they will not give you permission due to liability unless you are considering taking the listing and ask permission when you get the keys to look at it and tell them you are going to detect it.
What happens is nosey neighbors may come over. I give them a card and tell them the house is being considered by me to be put on the market. I tell them I want to know if it has historical significance. Then they open up and sometimes let me hunt theirs. Many yards here have civil war plaques with the brigades or divisions or batteries that occupied that area and some even have the cannons in the yard. It is private property always in yards even if there was a battle. Someone always holds that deed.
Just be nice and you might get a spot. I rarely hunt old houses unless it is in a battle field area like where I live. I dug a house behind me and talked to the realtor before hand. He said have at it. Dug all confederate enfields. It was great. Some useless clad around the walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread