What's new

Part of a sword hanger?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through my old finds I came across this brass piece and was wondering if it could be a sword hanger hook that would have been attached to a belt?
 

Attachments

  • 20190312_191154.webp
    20190312_191154.webp
    250.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190312_191202.webp
    20190312_191202.webp
    236.2 KB · Views: 73
Yup, it sure is. I'll see what I can dig up on it:)

Dig it up, yes, that's what it is and probably Civil War period.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup, it sure is. I'll see what I can dig up on it:)

Dig it up, yes, that's what it is and probably Civil War period.

Is it possible that this piece might be from the early1800s? The site it was found at was burned around 1817-18. See my post on the flint lock parts for more on the site.
 
Upvote 0
The fact that your flat-bodied brass "hook" has only one attachment hole excludes it from being a sword-belt hook... or other kind of similar hook (such as a rifle/musket sling adjuster hook)… because those types have (at least) two attachment holes. I believe your one-hole brass hook is the "tongue hook" from a pre-civil-war Military belt buckle which had a solder-filled back. (In actuality, those buckles were filled with a solder-like alloy, not lead.) Your find is missing the single-hole crossbar which held the other two belt-attachment hooks/studs. Also, note that those other "hooks" (studs) are round, not oval puppy-paw hooks.

Your find could have come from a rare round-studs "lead-filled" oval State Seal buckle, or a very early version of US-in-an-oval buckle.
 

Attachments

  • bucklehooks_roundstud_ebay_a543_12.webp
    bucklehooks_roundstud_ebay_a543_12.webp
    27.5 KB · Views: 64
  • bucklehooks_roundstud_frontside_ebay.webp
    bucklehooks_roundstud_frontside_ebay.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 61
  • bucklehooks_roundstud_backside_ebay.webp
    bucklehooks_roundstud_backside_ebay.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 65
Upvote 0
Great info as always
 
Upvote 0
The fact that your flat-bodied brass "hook" has only one attachment hole excludes it from being a sword-belt hook... or other kind of similar hook (such as a rifle/musket sling adjuster hook)… because those types have (at least) two attachment holes. I believe your one-hole brass hook is the "tongue hook" from a pre-civil-war Military belt buckle which had a solder-filled back. (In actuality, those buckles were filled with a solder-like alloy, not lead.) Your find is missing the single-hole crossbar which held the other two belt-attachment hooks/studs. Also, note that those other "hooks" (studs) are round, not oval puppy-paw hooks.

Your find could have come from a rare round-studs "lead-filled" oval State Seal buckle, or a very early version of US-in-an-oval buckle.

Thanks. Now all I need to do is get the landowner to let me back on this site and see if I can find the other parts. Or one of the two other hunters who have permission might find them.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks. Now all I need to do is get the landowner to let me back on this site and see if I can find the other parts. Or one of the two other hunters who have permission might find them.

Who me? :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Very nice find, Congrats!!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom