Jan 8, 2012
Dexter, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
8.5x11
5x8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fella.....If i lived closer I would let you try the 5x8. I will admit that I havent tried a whites in ohhh....about 35 years so I cant really compare. I am not Brand loyal either as I will probably try another brand as my upgrade next year or the year after but right now.....unless someone puts a beer spigot or massage therapist attached to it I dont forsee even the need to upgrade . oops back to topic......ummm.....if you can afford the 5x8 and have issues with weight then to me its a no-brainer......you can still recoup most of your money if you decide to sell it. I am very interested in your side by side comparisons also.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well,you guy's did it! I just ordered a 5X8 DD coil for my AT Pro.:laughing7: The wife is gonna kill me,but my uncle always said,"It's better to ask for forgiveness,than permission!":thumbsup:

junkless

Nov 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been really happy to have the 5x8 in certain circumstances and definitely happy I bought it. The big coil is nice for the open field hunting I've been doing. I'd say it's well worth having both with the 5x8 spending more time on my AT Pro than the stock.

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha Ha
Just say "Honey, I'm going to make money with this new coil!" haha

Pete

Well,you guy's did it! I just ordered a 5X8 DD coil for my AT Pro.:laughing7: The wife is gonna kill me,but my uncle always said,"It's better to ask for forgiveness,than permission!":thumbsup:

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
All detectors go BEEP BEEP BEEP in one way or another, or with tones, numbers, colors etc. What makes the best detector, is not the machine that ID's a penny as a penny or a dime as a dime, but the detector which allows the user to learn it well and have the user tell the machine what's under the coil, not the other way around.

Any fool can say my ID machine reads a dime, but the person who truly knows his machine may not agree with the ID because he knows all the variables affecting a target and accepts these and will make a better judgement call and be most often correct with his assumptions.

Anybody who has years of experience knows and understands this.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ha Ha
Just say "Honey, I'm going to make money with this new coil!" haha

Pete
Pete! I fessed up and told her a while ago!:laughing7: It should be here in a few days,so that will work out perfectly! The swelling in my eyes should be gone by that time!:thumbsup:

knightsquad

Apr 5, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Soverign
Tesoro, Vaquero
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha Ha You nut! LOL
They say put a steak on the eye for swelling and Black and Blue ! LOL
I've never tried it, just saying... LOL

Pete! I fessed up and told her a while ago!:laughing7: It should be here in a few days,so that will work out perfectly! The swelling in my eyes should be gone by that time!:thumbsup:

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
My wife didn't like it when I told her I was buying a new detector. I told her what are you going to do cut me off. Oh yeah right you all ready did for whatever I did to make you mad last time. :dontknow: She'll forgive you the first time you give her a nice gold ring.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How far off topic you wanna get this?

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my atp and I would suggest it to anyone for a purchase

-beav3r

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How far off topic you wanna get this?
This is all about upgrades to the AT Pro,and what a guy is willing to risk to get them!:laughing7:

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels Nickels & more Nickels.
Pulled more nickels with this ATP in the short time I've used it, its left me kind of stymied. Pulled a fair share of great sounding can slaw too.
Now if it would just show me something deep! Have yet to see anything deeper than 6"

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pulled more nickels with this ATP in the short time I've used it, its left me kind of stymied. Pulled a fair share of great sounding can slaw too.
Now if it would just show me something deep! Have yet to see anything deeper than 6"
Yeah,I dug a quarter last time out at 8 inches. I've noticed that the kind of soil has a lot to do with hitting targets deeper too.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ha! I had to smile at that post because I too have found way more nickels with my ATP than the other machines... More than even the Minelab

bush13st_beav3r

Apr 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree w rks....the soil will be your best friend or your eternal nemesis... I found my first silver at 10-11" in perfect soil conditions right after a huuyuge rain we had 3 days in a row... Barely Found a quarter at 7 yesterday in the same yard and it had just rained as I was going out...but not neeear as much as the 3dayer...

-beav3r

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the nickels, but I am using the 5x8 coil, and hit dimes at 8-10 inches all the time

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the nickels, but I am using the 5x8 coil, and hit dimes at 8-10 inches all the time
I got on a penny streak last week! For some reason my brain was wraped around the 70's VDI,and I just kept digging them. The only time I ever get nickles is when I get a "solid 51-52 VDI "and signal,or I don't dig it. I tend to zero in on a certain number that I'm wanting to see in my mind,and don't pay much attention to any other numbers (not a good thing).

Last edited:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hit many nickels but when I do they usually ring up at a steady 52. Yesterday was penny day and before that it was quarters you just never know.

OP
OP
fella

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally the AT Pro impresses me a little today.

Started the day with the ATP until it tired me out. Switched to the Vx3 w/D2 coil and continued on.
Came across a deeper signal about 8". The vdi was kinda jumping around a little and switching between a mid and high tone almost like there were two separate targets such as a zinc & a copper. After analyzing what info the Vx3 was giving me, I guessed it was a wheat penny with some trash near it. I marked the spot and switched back to the ATP for a comparison.
The ATP sounded off much better and was only locking on to one signal. Vdi was coming in at 79-80. Pinpointing it came in at 8". I dug it and sure enough a 1948 Wheat popped out.
First impressing thing I've seen with it. Now only if I wanted to keep using it. So far I have more negative things to say about it than good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread