What's new

Paypal scam ?

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
4,622
Reaction score
1,043
Golden Thread
0
Location
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
My wife advertised my Harley in a national online site . She's received 3 emails from a guy , supposedly a petroleum engineer aboard a ship . Wants to buy and use Paypal for purchase .
Feels like a scam to me .
Y'all got any input ?
Jim
 
Yeah, cash only. It is far too easy to lose money with paypal. They are not considered a bank, and are therefore not subject to any of the regulations of banks.
 
Paypal is fine, but if they start wanting to go "escrow"....drop it fast! Although scams are usually done from the sellers end it's best to be careful.
 
Jim, I have purchased and sold many collector cars over the years from all accross the country. There was a time when I felt comfortable doing a deal over the telephone, Fed EXing titles and cashiers checks back and forth, and arranging transportation. Those times are gone. Now any deal I do has to be face to face with cash and title exchanged. I would accept a cashiers check but, I wouldn't do any title work until the check had completely cleared and the funds were in my account. Forget Paypal. If someone is really legit and wants your Harley then they must comply with your terms without exception.
 
yea pick the safest way to sell that Harley
after all, you don't want to just 'lose' that Harley, would be a shame.
protect your sale anyway you feel comfortable!
if they want it bad enough, they will comply with your requests.
 
Thanks , all , for the quick response and good advice .
 
Jim, I have a paypal account from when I sold on ebay. Never had a problem transfering from paypal to my bank or from my bank to paypal! Now dealing with someone outside the ebay boundry is Somethin I know nuttin about. I would Be very careful! which I know you will. Ben
 
How's he plan on picking up the bike? airmail? ;D :laughing7: :laughing7:

Pay me cash when you pick it up pal, sorry. Not to mention if you want to transfer more than $500 to your bank from your paypal account you need to be verified, ie- they want your social security number.

Plus the fact that he could be scamming from someone elses paypal account.
 
He requested more pictures yesterday . We took em and sent em .
Today he requested Paypal details to complete the transaction .
I replied that we don't do Paypal . You want the bike it is bank to bank wire transfer or cash in hand .
The bank to bank wire transfer worked well for us when we sold my 18wheeler rig for mid 5 figure numbers .
Cash works well , also ;D
Jim
Again ,
Thanks all .
 
truckinbutch said:
He requested more pictures yesterday . We took em and sent em .
Today he requested Paypal details to complete the transaction .
I replied that we don't do Paypal . You want the bike it is bank to bank wire transfer or cash in hand .
The bank to bank wire transfer worked well for us when we sold my 18wheeler rig for mid 5 figure numbers .
Cash works well , also ;D
Jim
Again ,
Thanks all .



There's bank transfer scams too so be careful. Here's one, and I read another recently that was more complicated and harder to catch. The bottom line is once the money has been sent you want to call or go in your bank to make sure it was a transfer. Reading the post below was a wake up call for me because if I had seen the money on my balance I wouldn't have thought twice and just shipped the item.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&th=1614092&mid=5569935&rid=87678&rev=&reveal=
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom