What's new

PENNIES AT THE BEACH

tcornel

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2011
Messages
462
Reaction score
706
Golden Thread
0
Location
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Myrtle Beach doing some beach detecting. Primarily wet sand but I detect the dry sand on the way out and in, of course.

On Thursday? of last week I found a partial roll of pennies on the way to the water. Kind of curious find, I think.

Yesterday I found the other part of the roll! Really?

The last thing I expected to find on a beach is a roll of pennies. Why would anyone take a roll of pennies to the beach?


 

Attachments

  • 100_2306.webp
    100_2306.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 100_2307.webp
    100_2307.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_2308.webp
    100_2308.webp
    10.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 100_2309.webp
    100_2309.webp
    9.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_2310.webp
    100_2310.webp
    21.9 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 12
1. Sometimes people scatter pennies intentionally to mess with the guy with the metal detector.
2. There are some religious cults that perform baptismals that include casting coins upon the water.


I have witnessed these activities first hand at a beach some us often hunt. We call that place, Penny Beach.
 
Last edited:
Oh I can tell you exactly why they are there...

People like to throw them out into the sand and watch the MDers pick them up one at a time... 100 pick ups equals $1.00.

Myrtle Beach, or as we know it, The Redneck Rivera is rife with riff raff!
 
Agree with Skippy, fist pack from either the Sharks or the Jets when they were rumblin' under the boardwalk...
sharks jets.webp
 
Weird. Never see that kind of stuff in wilm. I really need to head to myrtle one of these days. If anyone in my area wants to make the trip some morning let me know.
 
It appears to be all 2013 Zincolns. I think Skippy may be correct. At 50 cents per hand it is a lot cheaper the weights!
 
It is good that you had found all the pennies together. Good hunting and good luck.
 
I think it was a very productive hunt; two holes - 50 cents! Great coin to hole ratio! :occasion14:
 
Wow I must be growing up
I just typed a post with an immature reply, then thought better of it
 
Oh I can tell you exactly why they are there...

People like to throw them out into the sand and watch the MDers pick them up one at a time... 100 pick ups equals $1.00.

Myrtle Beach, or as we know it, The Redneck Rivera is rife with riff raff!

Yes they do this, but at least this time they made it an easy pickup.
 
Check all the pennies out. If nothing else, remember that pennies from 1959 to 1981, and the first half of 1982 are copper. Each is three cents worth in copper. Been saving mine for about ten years now. This is excluding wheat pennies because of course you know the deal with them.
 
you keep out the wheats because of gluten?
 
At lest they were in the roll and not scattered, that is a plus!
 
Yes they do this, but at least this time they made it an easy pickup.

Lol, I know people that actually do this when they fo to the beach. Its their entertainment,
 
If they were all or mostly Zinc that would be good , it would be Meaner to plant Nickels .
 
1. Sometimes people scatter pennies intentionally to mess with the guy with the metal detector.
2. There are some religious cults that perform baptismals that include casting coins upon the water.


I have witnessed these activities first hand at a beach some us often hunt. We call that place, Penny Beach.

From the same general area as you I can attest to this as well. Alot of religious folk toss low denomination coins in the waters out here - and not just US pennies but other low value coins from other countries too. There's a place not to far from me that I call Offering Island, because it is always full of low denomination coins and religious offerings of all sorts.
 
Oh I can tell you exactly why they are there...

People like to throw them out into the sand and watch the MDers pick them up one at a time... 100 pick ups equals $1.00.

Myrtle Beach, or as we know it, The Redneck Rivera is rife with riff raff!

That is so yesterday dude! First you grid the section you want to trash, THEN you spread Brass / Copper BB's! :skullflag:
 
That is so yesterday dude! First you grid the section you want to trash, THEN you spread Brass / Copper BB's! :skullflag:

I have also heard of this... the real humor is that they fall through the scoop, so that you have to keep scooping and scooping!
 
I can't wait to go to the beach in a few weeks. Hope to find some good stuff

Keep swinging my friends!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom