Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post here so this is pretty much a trial but I wanted to share this neat find. I was digging a tone from my GTI 2500 and as I pulled my plug, I saw a rock that looked a little on the strange side to just be a rock. Not too much into the know on artifacts but I figured it could be Native American and after having a few people look at it, they tell me I have fould a Pestle. This was located in south central PA. I added a lighter next to it to give an idea of size. 100_5354_00.jpg Looking forward to any comments

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. It kind of fell into my hands. Had no idea I would ever find an artifact made of stone while metal detecting. Just goes to show what can happen when someone pays a little attention when digging or looking.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I say congrats on your find?
Its not a celt that's for sure.

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure did, I appreciate it. Something neat to pass on to my youngsters and maybe even get them excited about hunting in a few years. Thanks for the input.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG it is a Pestle. GTP will have a big grin in the morning when he sees it. Its a very nice one. I can see the ends now kinda rounded. First flat one I have ever seen and good quality at that. Nice find

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharpening things like Celts.. Or who knows.. Maybe even an axe at a 18th century homestead. Or maybe it's a pestle.. hmmmmm

Last edited:
OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-the-point.........Just a pestle? From my standpoint, a pestle is a great find for a newbie such as myself and I will take a pestle any day of the week. Whether it's worth $5 or $50, it makes no difference to me. I appreciates all the wonderful comments from everyone on this forum. I am also glad that the pictures turned out way better once I loaded them on my computer vs. the images from the camera. Now that I know where to look for artifacts, hopefully I will have many more to share sometime in the future! Thanks again all!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whetstone, ,muhaha!!

Good call, Tom. I agree because it shows no usage wear on what would be the business end of a pestle. But a whetstone like that is a great find! So be happy, poorman, it's a nice find. BTW, I posted a true "flat" pestle on page 2 of this thread. You can see the heavy usage wear on the end, and it was used as a metate as well. Such flat pestles were called sandal-sole pestles by some old timers in New England.

poorman, if you were to post good close ups of BOTH ends, we might tell better if there is any usage wear indicating it saw use as a pestle, but those flat sides look like the business areas in this instance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good call, Tom. I agree because it shows no usage wear on what would be the business end of a pestle. But a whetstone like that is a great find! So be happy, poorman, it's a nice find. BTW, I posted a true "flat" pestle on page 2 of this thread. You can see the heavy usage wear on the end, and it was used as a metate as well. Such flat pestles were called sandal-sole pestles by some old timers in New England.
What if it was started as a pestle and then lost? I sure Indians didn't just toss things out after they made them. Eventually things fell in the weeds and lost. Could this have been a young pestle in your opinion? The end is sort of rounded. The top and bottom are flattened as if it was used to sharpen something. Dang, I am so confused now! Maybe this was an Indian version of a multi-tool!? lol, who knows. I should just put it in the gold fish tank and let them enjoy it whatever it may be!

Last edited:

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
longitudinal or lateral use-wear?? Looks like longitudinal from the pics. I have found several natural stone historical whetstones, used to sharpen farm implements, scythes, etc. Wasn't found too deep (didn't have to...!) and you were on a historical farm/house site. Finding metal at the same depth??
If it was in my hand I could tell.

I've seen a few "pestles" that were definitely whetstones, gotta look at the work, size, shape. Yes, they look like pestles, LOL
Commercial ones are usually long-diamond shape, but home made ones look like flat pestles woi.
http://www.google.com/search?q=whet...i08ASkmoHACg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1229&bih=787

Last edited:
OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be any of what people have said. Lots of Indian history in the area as well as it was found on the homestead. As I mentioned before, it was found in the area of THE GREAT COVE MASSACRE in PA. The gold fish seem to really like it a lot.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It could be any of what people have said. Lots of Indian history in the area as well as it was found on the homestead. As I mentioned before, it was found in the area of THE GREAT COVE MASSACRE in PA. The gold fish seem to really like it a lot.

poorman, wherever the piece has seen usage, the texture of the rock will feel different, it will feel smother or look polished from much use. That's the clue you need to determine how it was used. Even a long metate is possible. If you look at the one I posted on page 2, that shows its usage wear on one side and end. It was a little bowed, so they could hold it at both ends and use the bowed side as a metate of sorts. If it's native, and not possibly early settler as Tom suggested MIGHT be the case. It's a nice find, glad the goldfish enjoy it!

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charl,
I was joking about the gold fish thing. Whatever this thing is, I will set it somewhere and look at it once in a while.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep it cause maybe one day you might find another just like it. Or you might see another one posted like it. Never know

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread