Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first post here so this is pretty much a trial but I wanted to share this neat find. I was digging a tone from my GTI 2500 and as I pulled my plug, I saw a rock that looked a little on the strange side to just be a rock. Not too much into the know on artifacts but I figured it could be Native American and after having a few people look at it, they tell me I have fould a Pestle. This was located in south central PA. I added a lighter next to it to give an idea of size. 100_5354_00.jpg Looking forward to any comments

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no idea, but looks like a nice table

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I am not sure on it. Will have to see what others say. Welcome to the site.

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure on what? I found this at a home site that was built in the late 1700's. The place is still there. The ends have been rounded and the tops have been flattened. It sure is not natural.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you please take a picture of it from a couple angles? Does it appear to have a bit on one end? It looks much more like a small celt than a pestle.
I never did understand why someone would take the time to make a post...... just to say I don't know??? The material looks correct also.

shapeimage_3.png

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure on what? I found this at a home site that was built in the late 1700's. The place is still there. The ends have been rounded and the tops have been flattened. It sure is not natural.

Didnt mean to upset you. I wasnt sure on it being a pestle because it doesnt look like a pestle to me. Most are round like a pipe and yours looks flat.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need to see pictures of both ends and a good side view. It doesn't look like any Pestle I've ever seen in the two pictures you showed above, but that doesn't mean it's not an artifact. We just need more pics to see for sure.

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gents,
I am not at all upset by any comments. I am new to the artifacts game. I am going by what two other gentleman told me. I gave it to another guy to look at this morning at work. I will get it back and take a few more pics. The two pics above are the same, it just loaded twice because I thought I didn't click the submit image button. I do appreciate all the people looking and giving an opinion. We assumed it was a pestle because both long edges are worked to a flat edge and one end is a bit more rounded but not to a point as to where one would think a hoe or something of that type of tool would have been made for digging. I will post more picture as soon as I can. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the thread "Maine Celt" it is on this page just a few down from yours. See if it looks like the one you have found. It might help you.

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock,
Thanks for the advice. The guy I showed it to this morning just emailed me and also said his thoughts. He thought it may be a celt. Whatever it is, I know it's hand worked by someone and it's my first relic find. It's still sweet to me whatever it is. Thanks again.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poorman I do not think that is a celt. Without a side picture it is hard to tell. After looking at it closely it does not appear bladed at either end. It shows girth. I believe what you have there is a roller pestle. They typically have a flat side but had two purposes, to be used in mortar and a flat metate that is why you have the ends showing polishing and i bet the flat side is equally polished. They are common finds in PA. and usually served as a dual purpose pestle. I grew up in Jersey and hunt the tri-state area and now live in PA. The material is right as well.............................GTP

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTP, Thanks for the info. I will get some more pictures on here later this evening of the ends and other views. Like I said earlier, whatever it is, it's my first find and I really like it. The fact that it was foundon accident while metal detecting makes it neat as well. Thanks again.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GTP, Thanks for the info. I will get some more pictures on here later this evening of the ends and other views. Like I said earlier, whatever it is, it's my first find and I really like it. The fact that it was foundon accident while metal detecting makes it neat as well. Thanks again.

That will clear it up and give you the true purpose of it. It was a great find! I found my first and greatest artifact raking the stones from a freshly made tee-off area. It was a whole whale tail bannerstone with a drill hole through the center of it. Found it when I was 17 and so the journey began.

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My camera isn't picking up the details that I would like in order to show it the way it should be seen. In all, we know it's an artifact of some sort and most likely Indian related. I appreciate everyone's opinions and knowledge on this post. Thanks a million.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your welcome. Odd you don't seem to want to be sure of an answer. Mabey this posting stuff IS a bit of a hassle. H.H.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to see it from all angles. I have never seen a nice pestle like what GTP had described and was looking forward to seeing it.

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will post the pics that I took last evening but my Kodak camera isn't the best and wouldn't seem to focus on the areas that would show the details properly. I will post them this evening after work. Maybe you will be able to see what you want, not certain. Take care Gents.

OP
OP
poorman15

poorman15

Feb 24, 2013
South Central Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
-Minelab Explorer SE
Newest- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GatorBoy, Please clarify you last statememt about posting being a hassle? Not having clear photos to show detail is frustrating but posting is not a hassle for me. If that is what you meant, I'm sorry you feel that way.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We look at fuzzy photos all the time. A view from an angle that shows the thickness and a couple of the ends are all that's necessary. Alot of detail probably won't be needed. There probably isn't alot of detail. I don't really feel I need to clarify anything...just wanted to help you I.D. your find. You had a couple very... knowlageable people offering a hand. Mabey the Guy you gave it to could do a better job since he is doing it in person. If he is experienced its always better that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions