What's new

Petroglyphs

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,741
Reaction score
12,697
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few petroglyphs that my son photographed in the Grand Canyon. He has been to some ruins that are known to only a few people. They have been left intact. If I can find them I will post a few pictures.

Canyonart4.jpg


CanyonArt.jpg


Canyonart2.jpg


CanyonArt3.jpg
 
Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Fossis.............
 
Love Petroglyphs! Those are great looking!
 
Wow! Those are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.
 
Cool Beans dude. Is the blue background the actual color or did you "shop" the blue to highlight the "glyphs"..........NGE
 
notgittinenny said:
Cool Beans dude. Is the blue background the actual color or did you "shop" the blue to highlight the "glyphs"..........NGE

I didn't do anything to the photos. My son sent me these pictures last year. I wondered how they were made myself. The ones in question were taken in Utah and are Anasazi.
 
The background is desert patina, which is blue-black in the right light, just like in the pics. The figures were pecked into the patina. The first is curvilinear style, which I haven't decided represents a map or just the equivalent of doodling on rock. Sometimes petroglyphs are directional signs and can be followed. I found some in Utah that led me right straight to the site of a former camp. Nice pics, I enjoyed them.
 
Outstanding!

Showed the photos and comments to my bride, she loved them.
 
I have a home in Idyllwild above Palm Springs...and there are 3 pictograph sites within walking distance...very well protected...which they should be...

The desert patina that RGINN mentioned is also referred to as desert or rock varnish...this, then is a means to determine age of the art work...
 
Well those are interesting, kinda makes u wonder if their drawing Aliens or just what those are suppose to be.
 
Hey maaaaaaaww......... Stanley's drawing pictures of those "strangers" again :laughing7: this was heard from paw hollerin' into the cave opening, about Jr. and his twisted mind :laughing7:........NGE
 
Sort of looks like an electrical sub station to me.
 
I love how, on the three largest figures, each one has a different symbol on their chest... One looks like it has a fox and the other 2 are more "geometric". You wonder if each being represented was, say, a god of a particular thing. The one on the extreme right has wave-looking lines going down each side. Could stand for "water" or "river" or something.

Great photos! I really enjoyed looking at them! Thanks!
 
Nothing like some ancient graffiti :thumbsup:

I'm with TN_MD, I wish I knew what the pictures depicted. Very interesting though.
 
Down through the ages, people have always painted, scribbled, or drawn things they saw or did in their day and time with no special story or meaning at all. In my area I know where there are ancient drawings on a rock wall, that includes a drawing of a couple having sex. You read that right, they are having sex. Sometimes, in our high tech society and world we try to put a mysterious meaning or story to these drawings when in fact there is none as the ancient ones who drew the pictures, had nothing better to do at the moment and were just doodling.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom