What's new

Physicians sample

Rmeav8r

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2004
Messages
711
Reaction score
962
Golden Thread
0
Location
NE Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this Physicians sample marked, "Physicians Sample, Lapactic Pills, Dose 1 to 2 Pills, Sharp and Dohme, Baltimore MD." It is 2 inches long and had sewing machine needles in it when opened. It has a cap that unscrews and is made of aluminum. Any help dating this is appreciated. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • 100_2498.webp
    100_2498.webp
    82.9 KB · Views: 459
According to Google Books, it was introduced about 1887. As it contained Ipecac, Belladonna and Strychnine; an overdose could relieve a patient's last complaint.

Chip V.
 
Upvote 0
Atropa belladonna is speculated to have been used by Juliet, in Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet, in her sleeping potion. According to old legends, the plant belongs to the devil who takes care of it as the need arises, and only takes a night off once a year. That date is Walpurgis, when he prepares for the witches' sabbath.

Historically, belladonna derivatives have been used as an antidote to many poisonous substances, including chloroform, opium, and the deadly insecticide, parathion. Hmmm,

Ipecac is a native Brazilian word which in Guarani means ipé, small; kaa, plont; quanà, causing vomiting.2


Cheers! :occasion14:
 
Upvote 0
All I know for sure is the tube is pre-1953. That's the year Sharp and Dohme merged with Merck and became MSD. Sharp and Dohme was a leader in the pharmaceutical industry for the first half of the 20th C.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
I agree 1890's. "samples will be mailed on application"
http://books.google.com/books?id=3z...1#v=onepage&q=Sharp, "Lapactic Pills"&f=false
The general tonic effect of Strychnine upon the stomach and bowels and its direct action upon the sympathetic make it a valuable addition to the permanent cure of habitual constipation and atonic dyspepsia.


Someone was selling some physicians sample medicine tins but I couldnt pull it up.
Buy 13 Antique Medicine Tins Bottle Pkg Booklets Medical #3 For ...Physicians Sample - Lapactic Pills - Sharp & Dohme, Baltimore, Maryland. Embossed aluminum vial with screw cap. Nice. 10. Phillips Milk of Magnesia - 30 ...
picclick.com/.../13-Antique-Medicine-Tins-Bottle-Pkg-Booklets-Medical-3-170301680702.html - Similar




If you feel this is solved,

Go back to your original post,

Click on Modify,

Click on Message icon down arrow,

Click on Solved,

The Green Check will appear
 
Upvote 0
And the tube makes a cool needle holder!! I wish I had a couple. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Thanks to everyone for the input! I agree that this one is solved! Thanks again!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom