It's a plumbing 90o elbow circa 1952 Ace Hardware, isle 3.
No, seriously, at first glance it looks more like a part of a railroad latern or gas/oil connector for an old model tractor or old farm equipment, that is if it's metal.
Can you ascertain what the material is? Sorry didn't read through the whole thread this moment, so I don't know it you answered that yet. Or know.
And yes, don't try to clean it. Maybe just a damp cloth and light brushing. Use a stiff bristle painters brush to clean things like this, not a scrub type brush or toothbrush. A oil paintbrush is just stiff enough to clean crevices without scratching. A toothbrush can actually scratch soft surfaces.
This could be a very nice artifact of early settlers.
I cringe when I see dectectorists trying to wipe dirt off coins they just pulled out. Dirt should be washed off under running water on artifacts.
Great find.