Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The question is did you really look at it the first time. You maybe "assumed" there was gold in the
safe and thought to yourself "Hey, it wasn't peanuts in there, Duh". But objectively you didn't see
an official declaration that there was. Oh by the way, do you work for MSNBC?

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The question is did you really look at it the first time. You maybe "assumed" there was gold in the
safe and thought to yourself "Hey, it wasn't peanuts in there, Duh". But objectively you didn't see
an official declaration that there was. Oh by the way, do you work for MSNBC?

No it said gold. What I posted here was that they were to get stock meaning livestock. They wouldnt be purchasing with peanuts. They wouldn't have wasted their time and effort to toss an empty safe. What would a paymasters safe contain?

You aren't going to look for it so what do you care? Do you look for anything treasure related?

There are other documented treasures in that area. Nothing posted on tnet about some of them?? If I was close to that area I would be in the water searching unlike those who would let fear stop them.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I am sorry but I have to be shown the evidence. Will you please cite the date of incident and the Naval
Officer who made the report. FYI I have been coinshooting and cache hunting since the late 1960s. I
have dug more holes than you have peanuts which sounds like what you have found.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
chlbrns, is this the first treasure lead you have worked? It's OK, they can be maddening. :skullflag:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe you didn't notice that I said numerois times that I am to far away to look for the safe and that if I lived close to there that I would be looking for it.

I don't detect school yards or parks, not because im afraid of puppies barking at me but because I like to concentrate on larger more profitable adventures and helping hands such as the 20 or so pounds of silver coins that we found for an elderly lady that I posted about briefly and our most recent find that I prefer to not discuss. We also dive in the ocean. Yes there are sharks and other hazards but we arent sissies and don't worry about such things.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I am sorry but I have to be shown the evidence. Will you please cite the date of incident and the Naval
Officer who made the report. FYI I have been coinshooting and cache hunting since the late 1960s. I
have dug more holes than you have peanuts which sounds like what you have found.

If you read the official records you would have seen the report and who submitted it.Official government/Navy records are not sufficient "evidence?" Lol! Ok!

I'll bet you do dig a lot of holes! What evidence leads you to school yards and parks? Basic knowledge that you will find can slaw, trash, coins and occasionally something of vaue much like basic knowledge that a civil war paymasters safe would contain gold.

Last edited:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I see again that you failed to provide evidence that a substantial amount of gold (I presume specie) was in
that safe. The official report does not say that, it just says a safe. Please acknowledge this so that members
are not deceived.

It is possible that items other than gold coin. such as sensitive military documents [all naval ships had logs,
orders of engagement, maps etc] that were to be protected at all costs. It seems likely the captains would
attend to that task before surrendering. Such documents were kept in dry containers for obvious reasons.

Also if the named vessels were there on a secret mission to buy horses and cattle for the Union Army they
would have orders on board to that effect. Standing orders were to jettison incriminating evidence therefore
the airtight safe/s were discarded when there was no hope of proceeding further.

I asked earlier how anyone could ascertain whether a transfer of funds had occurred previous to the surrender.
Due diligence of any reputable cache researcher would include determining if such funds changed hands. It is
negligent on the provider's part to include only the suspicion of a gold cache. You still have work to do in this
regard.

Note: I know you have said repeatedly you will not follow up, I get it already. Well wishes.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Bla bla bla....

All of the relevant info has been pm'd to someone with the proper equipment and a willingness to search.

I wish them luck and hope that they find the safe and relics!

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Chlbrns, you are too young to know this and I like your enthusiasm. In the early days of detecting
there was a literal army of Texas THers going after caches such as the one you posted. The south
coast area had some of the most successful hunters in the country. Your lead was just one of many
investigated before you were born. I assure you they did research and dived on the site, but I never
heard of a gold-safe recovered but I have not checked all the sources back in the 70s/80s. It would
take too much of the time I have left to attempt to verify what I am saying to you.

I always heard Jerseyites were rude but didn't know it included women and children.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
They investigated leads without the benefit of verified info from the internet? What was wrong with them?

You also heard about a tossed paymasters safe containing gold and you didn't believe that so Im assuming that you dont believe what you heard about Jerseyites either unless of course you have official Government documentation to prove it.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Got me beat. 70s.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
BCH, yes a Texan by birth and the grace of God.

The link provided is very long, you have to scroll down to May 1864 to read the official record of the safe.
It does not designate a gold payment to guerillas. It indicates a failed mission.

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
BCH, yes a Texan by birth and the grace of God.

The link provided is very long, you have to scroll down to May 1864 to read the official record of the safe.
It does not designate a gold payment to guerillas. It indicates a failed mission.

Some people will actually do their own research and expand on a lead others want everything handed to them. I guess that is why some dig a lot of holes for peanuts while worrying about puppies barking at them and others find treasure.

Some might contact places such as Sabine Pass Battleground Historical Park for info while others whine wanting others to do it for them.

Maybe the person who is going to look for it, will find it and just hand it over to you?

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey BDD if you're reading this (which I know you are) I got the coil for the Powerscan detector I bought and the dam thing don't work! I'm sending it back for maybe a replacement or a refund. I'm really disappointed. My Aquapulse with the 16" coil is still available to check out your site. This coming weekend I'm going down to Ft. Myers so I will be busy but I can check out your site anytime during the week.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Chlbrns, what a coincidence, I sent for the same information over ten years ago. I had planned to
vacation near Sabine Pass after seeing via tv a man finding paleo points in a certain area on the
Gulf Coast. Then plans changed and went to Montana instead to a GPAA outing to look for gold
nuggets. I would have found more if it hadn't been for those puppies barking at me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread