What's new

Pitting/Nutting Stone with Mano?

mn9000

Full Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2016
Messages
199
Reaction score
248
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this sitting on the bank of the beautiful Buffalo National River during a lunch break on a recent canoe trip. I snapped a couple pictures of it & left it where I found it. I didn't notice at first, but a friend pointed out to me yesterday that the Mano stone may be sitting right next to it. What do you guys think?


ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506075923.291049.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506075960.519765.webp

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1506076061.479763.webp
 
Upvote 0
Looks to have 4 holes. Seems like a pretty good one and not too large.
 
Yes it had 4 different sized holes in it, it was a neat piece for sure. Do you think that rounded stone that the arrow is pointing to is the grinding stone?
 
Yes it had 4 different sized holes in it, it was a neat piece for sure. Do you think that rounded stone that the arrow is pointing to is the grinding stone?
It seems to large to fit the holes to me.
 
What are the chances that both pieces would be washed out by the river and wind up in the same place?
 
What are the chances that both pieces would be washed out by the river and wind up in the same place?

My thinking was that maybe they've never really moved much since their last use? I have no frame of reference for how far large stones tumble & travel during floods so I can't really gander a guess. I do know of a well worked core a little smaller than a bowling ball that's been sitting in the same spot in the creek since I was a kid-- better part of 35 years. Wether or not it's been sitting there for 500+ years may be a different story though.

This one was sitting way up on the bank-- far enough away from the main river channel to see high water every year or two if I had to guess. That's still plenty of Hundred Year Floods though...
 
The one with the arrow pointing at it has what looks like a groove thru the middle. Now its a quartzite type of rock so it could be a natural inclusion Im looking at also hard to know for sure the way its sitting. Good eye
 
I think the grey one I mentioned is a mano. Looks nice and flat and ground to me. at least in the photo.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom