TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-455435150.jpg

Found this today. It is very odd and looks like it could be platinum. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be platinum.....best way to check is specific gravity test. Platinum is extremely heavy...even heavier than gold. If the SG is up around 20, or above, it's platinum,, or more probably, a platinum alloy with one or more of the other platinum group metals. Another way to test is with a torch....platinum's melting point is WAY up there...propane torch won't melt it. If it melts, it probably isn't platinum.
Jim

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks good, but how big is it? How hard is it? Is it brittle? SG, if you can test it--I agree that should tell you something as well. Very hard to tell what it is from a picture.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
TRanegar36

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's about the size of a basketball and it's growing into the bottom of a huge boulder. It's a really hard surface and shiny.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickel?.....I grew up in Southern California..near one of the biggest Nickel deposits in the world...found a chunk of something that looks like that always thought it was Nickel ore..

WolfgangStiller

Aug 20, 2012
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, ProPointer, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basket ball size. Wow! Well you have quite a find there if it contains a lot of platinum. You can get nickle, silver, lead, or platinum test kits for very little money on amazon but I'd start out and test the hardness and specific gravity. This will narrow down the possibilities.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you cant get that thing home I would spray paint it to match the rock or cover it up till you could bring back a test kit or find a way to remove it.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 drop of nitric will answer that question,tain't platinum of that I'm sure as associated geology wrong and your in Indiana-John

OP
OP
TRanegar36

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hoser John said:
1 drop of nitric will answer that question,tain't platinum of that I'm sure as associated geology wrong and your in Indiana-John

This wasn't found in Indiana

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
then where was it found it matters a bit.

OP
OP
TRanegar36

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pvillehunter said:
then where was it found it matters a bit.

Oregon

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you have a platinum nugget the size of a baseball, you probably have the largest platinum nugget ever found in history. Probably not. TTC

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then again Terry I would guess the odds of him finding the largest P nugget in the entire world are better than the Lotto Odds and every now and then someone wins the Lotto. My WISH is that it is P and that he gets it all home safe and sound and lives happily ever after! Sigh.............63bkpkr

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I see the green concretion stuff too, AB - was it dropped? - looks like damp sand was "splashed"

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 726449

Found this today. It is very odd and looks like it could be platinum. Any thoughts?

Very odd!

Looks like you found it on the beach and the host rock looks lava like, very unusual.
Did you try to scratch it with a knife?

I agree with Pvillehunter could be nickel.
I wonder how much of it goes under the boulder?

Last edited:

ashtree

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any news i would really like to know what it is?

Is it even metal?

Ash

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread