PLEASE help me identify this... I found it detecting the beach in SE Florida!!!

Nighthawk20

Tenderfoot
Jun 13, 2016
Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster PRO, Whites Treasure PRO, Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE help me identify this Golden Turtle. Found on a beach in SE Florida!!!

I was detecting one of my favorite spots in South Florida on the East coast.. I went at low tide and saw that there was a section that was cut out of the sand and like 3 feet of sand was taken away from the last time I was there. So I went to that spot and started gridding it. Was only a pass into my grid plan and I found this... I have not tested it for gold yet but I believe it is...(at least am hoping it is) :) It is laying on a 1896 morgan silver dollar in the picture and weighs 1.25 oz... The numbers on the bottom are what I have been told could be possibly the free mason magic box or even date back thousands of years in china, india, and middle east... It was all absolutley hand done and it seems to be extremely old...

As soon as I got my hands on it I got the rush that it was treasure... I feel it may be off of the 1715 Spanish fleet or one of the other many vessels that sank in the straights of florida back in the day. Either way I am very interested in hearing what everyone has to say about it and I am going to get to the bottom of identifying it some how because I am very excited about it.

Any input would be awesome... Thank you! God Bless!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Neat! Here's to hoping it is gold, but from the picture it sort of looks like brass. Looking forward to an ID.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I hope this is a great treasure for you!!!! That is freakin awesome

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nighthawk20

Tenderfoot
Jun 13, 2016
Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster PRO, Whites Treasure PRO, Whites Beach Hunter 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure as to what the metal is but what makes you say it looks like brass? If you don't mind explaining a little more?

Upvote 0

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
from the picture it sort of looks like brass. .

.....It is a very poorly done, very rough sand casting, which shows hastily done file marks made by very coarse flat files and round files.

It shows absolutely no signs of sand wear from being in the ocean very long at all.

I mentioned hastily done, to indicate it was made quickly, with little care of obtaining a quality finished product.....just like mass produced 3rd world items for the tourist trade.

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's from the Jesuits. Not free mason's. It a real nice find. And welcome to Treasure Net.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a Soduko game, or something to that effect...
All numbers add up to 15...

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got it...it's a Lo Shu square, magical turtle that emerged from the water with the curious and unnatural days in each of the 24 cycles of the Chinese Solar year.... Each add to 15, every direction...
Magic squares...
Google it, I can't add a link, cuz I suck with the computer...

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it...it's a Lo Shu square, magical turtle that emerged from the water with the curious and unnatural days in each of the 24 cycles of the Chinese Solar year.... Each add to 15, every direction...
Magic squares...
Google it, I can't add a link, cuz I suck with the computer...

Great ID!

Here's the link..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo_Shu_Square

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Great photo tamrock! I didn't know you were there in person for that event?? :laughing7:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was detecting one of my favorite spots in South Florida on the East coast.. I went at low tide and saw that there was a section that was cut out of the sand and like 3 feet of sand was taken away from the last time I was there. So I went to that spot and started gridding it. Was only a pass into my grid plan and I found this... I have not tested it for gold yet but I believe it is...(at least am hoping it is) :) It is laying on a 1896 morgan silver dollar in the picture and weighs 1.25 oz... The numbers on the bottom are what I have been told could be possibly the free mason magic box or even date back thousands of years in china, india, and middle east... It was all absolutley hand done and it seems to be extremely old...

As soon as I got my hands on it I got the rush that it was treasure... I feel it may be off of the 1715 Spanish fleet or one of the other many vessels that sank in the straights of florida back in the day. Either way I am very interested in hearing what everyone has to say about it and I am going to get to the bottom of identifying it some how because I am very excited about it.

Any input would be awesome... Thank you! God Bless!!
Well its always exciting to search on the treasure coast but unfortunately even a 3 foot cut is usually not deep enough to find heavy metals like a gold piece from the 1715 fleet unless it hits rock, hardpan or packed shell bottom,.. There is way too much beach renourishment. That being said, it was a great ID of a modern trinket item and dont ever give up and hit those beaches after the next hurricane. It must be great to live on the treasure coast.

Some of my post hurricane treasure beaches finds.

treasure coast find 2.jpg treasure coast jo ann hall.JPG spike.JPG spoon unknown origin.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....It is a very poorly done, very rough sand casting, which shows hastily done file marks made by very coarse flat files and round files.

It shows absolutely no signs of sand wear from being in the ocean very long at all.

I mentioned hastily done, to indicate it was made quickly, with little care of obtaining a quality finished product.....just like mass produced 3rd world items for the tourist trade.

pretty much what I was thinking gold probably would have been finished off a little nicer. Just another case of the Sudoku cheat sheet turtle LOL

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a magic square. Made by a jesuit. Notice the 56 in the upper right corner. The 357 in the center that is a clue. 3+5=8×7=56. Between the 9 and 56. Is the preist. Turn it up side down. You can see his head notice the hat. That all you need to know ow at the moment. If you want be sell it. Let me know

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread