What's new

Plow head

lookingharder

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
434
Reaction score
753
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that I'm starting to get boxes unpacked from a move 10 years ago, I'll start uploading some pictures. I found this in Kentucky while wading a small river next to a bottom where hundreds of arrow heads have been found. It was covered in moss but the outline was clear. I thought I had found a cannon shell of some sorts. (Being a ammotroop) The rock weighs 8 lbs. 8oz. very heavy for its size. Way too heavy to be used for grinding corn by hand (I have some of those stones too) Only thing I can think of is a plow head tied to a fork of a small tree. The biggest mystery for me is in the area of Kentucky I lived there is nothing but field stone, ALL FLAT rocks.
ATTACH=CONFIG]1537300[/ATTACH] IMG_0314.webpIMG_0316.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0313.webp
    IMG_0313.webp
    465.1 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't get the pictures upright.
 
That is really cool and different don’t recall seeing anything like that before
 
Im at a loss of trying to understand how it was used and for what purpose?
 
Im at a loss of trying to understand how it was used and for what purpose?

Me too. I understand what he thinks it was used for, to put furrows in the field, I'm just not sure how that would work. Most of the Hoes I have seen or found are either highly polished Flint Spades or the rough looking but still polished Hardstone ones.
 
Looks like a preform hoe......at that size. Nice save.
 
arrow86, here is the bottom, 20180115_222315.webp
 
I found this which looks similar. I didn't know the Indians used mortars and pestles this big. 20180115_224643.webp
 
I have never seen an artifact that looked like that. If it was used has a hoe/plow it would have a polish to it and if it was used for grinding it would be rounded on a end.:icon_scratch:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom